3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Caribou for Luke  (Read 4772 times)

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Caribou for Luke
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 08:41:39 AM »
I will check that out thanks for taking the time to reply, your adventure sounds amazing and even more special to have your son alongside, regards wayne

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2018, 08:44:17 AM »
Luke and I had not discussed my desire for him to take a bull before me. To be honest, I
really could not have cared less if I had gone home empty handed. This hunt was all
about him. As the group came towards us my heart pounded when 6-8 bulls
approached Luke to within 10 yards. I was in a tiny clump of grass which allowed me to
sit up and see all sixty bulls approach. The biggest of the bulls split off and walked to
within 10 yards of me and began to drink from a stream. I looked back at Luke to see
the bulls advancing to within feet of him with one of them chewing grass less than two
FEET of his leafy head net. My brain was screaming for him to shoot but he just lay
there. This lasted about one minute and when the caribou tried to nibble on his head
net, the game was over.
To be honest I was frustrated as to why he didn't take a shot on such a sure thing.
There had been several good bulls at less than ten yards. I crawled over to him and
asked him in frustration why had he just laid there. Boy, did I feel like a jerk when he
answered. He said, “the big bull was right on top of you and I didn't want to mess up
your chance". This was classic Luke. He has always been an unselfish person. I was
certainly proud of him at this moment, but I made it clear to him that his getting a bull
was priority one. We let the bulls settle and begin to feed away before heading back to
the river crossing in fading light. Luke pointed out that the six caribou bulls were still
high on the mountain above us. We would get our chance to meet them the next day.
Day four began with a terrible change in weather. We crossed the river to our glassing
point and were met with a completely empty tundra. We could see for many miles and
there was not a single caribou in sight. I knew where they had gone but following them
would require a 10-mile round trip and the risk of bumping them ever further from reach.
I hated to burn up a day, but I knew that they would return.
We decided to skirt the mountain and glass another valley. We reached a glassing
point and were met with another empty landscape. The cold rains had intensified, and
winds were making it difficult to stay in the open areas. We were pretty bummed at this
point when suddenly we looked up to find the mountain bulls directly above us. Although
they were 2,000 yards away, they had us pinned down. They were within yards of a
jagged rocky peak and our hope was for them to drop over, so our climb would be
possible. This did not happen. We hunkered down in the freezing rain for three hours
and the caribou stayed on the sheltered side of the rocky peak. When we reached our
limit of endurance, we made the decision to walk away from them and begin a long hike
around another mountain so that we could approach them from the back side. The
steep climb would take us almost two hours.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 08:48:28 AM »
A brutal climb ended with spectacular views. Of the valley below. 

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2018, 08:54:25 AM »
Nice story and pictures.

You posted thumbnail pictures, which is fine.

After you select your picture from your PC or phone, just to the right of the little window where the picture name appears, click ( Insert Attachment 1 ). That will make the picture full size in your post.

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 08:56:38 AM »
What an adventure keep it coming.  :campfire:
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 09:01:52 AM »
Once on top of the mountain, the walking was quite easy. Jagged house size boulders
littered the peaks and made movement into position fairly easy. We found ourselves
slithering down the mountain to rocky ledges above the relaxed bulls. While we had
plenty of time and a favorable wind, I was aware that we did not want to try and get off
this dangerous mountain in the dark. We crawled up to an outcrop and as I peered over
I could see several bull racks just ten yards away. It would have been easy to get to
within touching distance, but a big bull was bedded in a cave to our left. I feel certain
that I could have touched his antler tip, but his body was tucked back in the rocks. No
shot was available on any of the bulls and anxiety built as I knew an eddy wind current
would come soon to wreck things. It did.
These bulls knew something wasn't right but didn't panic. They started to move below
us but in a parallel direction to the spine of the mountain. This made getting ahead of
them possible. We leap frogged them several times and Luke did get a long shot at one
point and his arrow shaved hair on a bull. The steepness of the mountain made
shooting very difficult as the animals at only 25-30 yards were 60+ feet below us. We
were running out of rocks to hide behind so I sent Luke ahead to the last spot and I
eased out onto a huge outcrop to try and watch. The group was fading down the
mountain and it looked like all hope was lost when a good bull that had fallen behind
stepped out from my outcrop at thirty-five yards. Seeing that it was over for Luke, I
drew my black widow recurve and sent an arrow down the mountain side. The shot was
perfect and as the bull caught up with the group he laid down in a mountain
saddle. The other bulls were unfazed and simple fed away un-spooked. I knew they
would stay on the mountain.
With darkness falling we didn't even go over to the bull. We tore down the oppisite side of the mountain
towards camp as fast as we could in an effort to beat darkness. We crossed the  river delta in
the dark and rolled into camp wet, tired and hungry.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2018, 09:10:53 AM »
A little footnote to this story.  I carried a video camera and filmed much of the hunt.  I will produce the video after I return from bear camp in late June. I can promise you that the video will be worth watching as we shot it in HD and many of the stalks described in this story were captured of video along with some great close up bear encounters.  The scenery was breath taking on the hunt and we also captured some great halibut fishing on video as a bonus.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2018, 09:34:10 AM »
Day five had us at the base of the mountain very early with a plan to process my bull
and then find the remaining mountain bulls. We were encouraged to see the main herd
reentering the valley several miles away. We glassed what we could see of the
surrounding mountainside and then made quick work of my bull. Our plan was to cache
my bull and hunt the tops for the day. We were actually taking some photos when I
looked over Luke's shoulder to see three bulls just a quarter mile away on our mountain. This photo session was interrupted by the nearby bulls....

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2018, 09:43:47 AM »
Nice story and pictures.

You posted thumbnail pictures, which is fine.

After you select your picture from your PC or phone, just to the right of the little window where the picture name appears, click ( Insert Attachment 1 ). That will make the picture full size in your post.

I tried that but I get an error message saying that the picture cant be saved or it may be too large for the site... I hate it because I have tons more that I cant post...

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2018, 09:52:07 AM »
Day five had us at the base of the mountain very early with a plan to process my bull
and then find the remaining mountain bulls. We were encouraged to see the main herd
reentering the valley several miles away. We glassed what we could see of the
surrounding mountainside and then made quick work of my bull. Our plan was to cache
my bull and hunt the tops for the day. We were actually taking some photos when I
looked over Luke's shoulder to see three bulls just a quarter mile away on our mountain. This photo session was interrupted by the nearby bulls...

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »
2nd bull down. 

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2018, 10:15:37 AM »
It is important that you understand the rugged nature of these mountain tops that this stalk took place in. VERY steep and jagged rocks. In some cases it is very much like hunting mountain goats. Along with the difficulty of terrain comes the crazy eddy wind currents that will get you busted even when you are down wind. Patience is critical in these situations as sometimes you can easily get close given the cover but you will blow these bulls off the mountain with a swirling eddy wind...

We dropped all our gear and started their way. We had a perfect wind and the bulls fed
away from us and just yards below the rocky spine of the mountain. I told Luke that we
had hours to get a perfect shooting setup and we could shadow them all day if needed.
At this point, with two days left, I was starting to feel a touch of pressure for my son to
get a bull. I knew we had plenty of time, but the dad thing sometimes impacts
reasoning. I said a prayer as we approached and peeked over at the bulls. The wind
did not allow us to really get ahead of the bulls and we were forced to approach from
their side. As caribou feed at a crazy speed, we did this a few times but would fall
behind, making the shots just a bit too far. I knew with patience the right shot would
come.
The bulls had fed around a corner and we could only guess their position. I crawled to
the rocky mountain top and peeked over to find all three bulls at ten yards distance and
just fifteen feet below us. Luke crawled in beside me and moved to a position for a
shot. We knew that when he exposed himself for the shot that he would have 1-2
seconds and they would be gone.
I wanted to film the shot, but I knew that it could cost him a caribou, so I laid just a
couple feet behind him and prayed the things that a father prays in these situations. He
rose to his knees, drew his bow and sent an arrow down the mountain....

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2018, 10:20:37 AM »
The mountain where the stalk took place.  Amazingly deceptive from a distance.  A very tough hike to get to it’s base and a body crushing climb to the top.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »
The sound of the arrow hitting was unmistakable. I looked over the edge just in time to
see the bulls tearing down the mountain. Within seconds two bulls emerged on the
valley floor and began to climb the adjacent mountain. We soon spotted Luke's bull
walking in the valley with what appeared to be a high, single lung hit. I felt like he would
bed and allow a stalk, but the two other bulls returned and gathered him up. They were
on a trail that would carry them into a distant valley and I knew that once the bull
reached the top of the next mountain that the downhill glide might carry him for miles.
It was not possible to follow him directly as we were in plain sight. Luke suggested a
crazy plan to run all the way around the mountain and attempt to get ahead of the bull.
Physically I just didn't think it was possible. It would be all up hill and a great distance
with very limited time before they reached the pass. Luke looked at me and said, "I
need to finish this". With that, he was off and running up and around the mountain
side. What followed was one of the coolest endings to a hunt I have ever seen.
The caribou slowly continued along a path that was taking them past the only cover that
would make an approach possible. A small pile of rocks would be a hiding place if Luke
could reach it in time. Luke had long disappeared from my view but suddenly his head
popped into view in the rock pile. The two unwounded bulls were on top of him, but his
bull stood close to forty yards away and was about to take a turn down the mountain. I
was watching this unfold with binoculars and while focused on his bull, an arrow zipped
through behind the shoulder and the bull crashed down the mountain. He piled up a
short distance away. After an amazing physical display, Luke had finished what he
started.
We gathered up our gear and I made a satellite phone call to our flight service to check
in. They told us that terrible weather was about to hit and that we may be stranded for
days unless they picked us up early the next morning. Getting out ahead of a big storm
sounded great but we already had one bull in our packs and another to
process. Getting all the meat back to camp before dark would be the only possible
option as time and a high river tide would prevent coming back in the morning before
pickup. While we were discussing our options, William appeared from the mountain
top. He had watched all of this unfold and had arrived with his pack frame. This made
things at least possible.
We took some quick pictures and loaded the packs to an obscene weight level and
started down the steep mountain. We clung to grass and bushes to prevent falling
down the slick slope and dropped onto the tundra. An hour later we made the river
delta and crossed the last mile to camp. I have packed many a caribou in my time but
never have I been in so much pain and so happy at the same time. Luke had taken his
Alaska bull.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2018, 10:31:24 AM »
Luke’s bull and the brutal pack down the mountain to beat the tide and darkness.

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2018, 10:38:47 AM »
Awesome job guys. That's definitely a trip to remember.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline madmaxthc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2018, 10:44:39 AM »
That is an amazing story, and very well told. I really read through the topic hoping you would complete it before I got to the end! Congratulations to you and your son, that was a great adventure to go through together

:clapper:
Life is short, play hard

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2018, 11:25:07 AM »
A few more.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2018, 11:30:28 AM »
Our flight out was a bumpy one and we would end the trip by visiting with friends and catching some big halibut.  Luke would remark that this was the greatest trip of his life.  I agree, and I am sure that wild place will call us back again.         

As always, I am hopeful that the story was enjoyable but I am also hopeful that those with a desire to chase their dream on a hunt like this will do so.  If you can dream it there really is a way to get there.  Good hunting.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2018, 11:35:58 AM »
Fishing and more. 

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©