3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toelke Kestrel vs. Chinook ?  (Read 2485 times)

Offline woodyt

• Trad Bowhunter
Toelke Kestrel vs. Chinook ?
« on: June 03, 2018, 04:25:32 PM »
Can anyone give me a comparison of the Kestrel & Chinook recurves ? Likes dislikes etc. would be nice also. And does anyone know what year the Chinook came out ?

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toelke Kestrel vs. Chinook ?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
I had two 60 inch Chinooks and 1 Kestral.Which is now called the Troll.Thier may have been some tweeks to the design of the Kestral with the name change.?Not sure really?

Anyway the Chinooks were very nice and excellant all around shooters.Very quiet!

I really liked the Kestral and hunted with it for 2 seasons because it was so hassle free in the woods in any situation from treestands,groundhunting,blinds,stalking and still hunting.I liked that little bow.I drew it about 29 inches.I had an Eagles Flight quiver on it.I found it stable and pleasant shooting and did not notice any stacking.It was louder than the Kestral.I put limbsavers on it to make it very quiet for hunting purposes.I would own another.I think its one of the better compact hunting bows made.No complaints other than a tad noisy.That was an easy fix with the 15$ limbsavers.I put them 3 inches up from the riser fadeouts.Which is where they should go!!!

Offline woodyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 05:03:28 PM »
Steelhead, Thanks for that reply with info on both I appreciate that. I have the Kestrel but have been thinking about a Chinook. I did notice that the Kestrel is a little loud but I"m going to work on it this week to quiet it down

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 09:57:30 PM »
I found the Chinook to be smoother and quieter then the Kestrel, but the Kestrel is incredible for a short bow.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 10:05:33 PM »
Tim just try the limbsavers 3 inches above the fadeouts.Problem solved!Okay they dont look great but who cares.Its a hunting bowThier easy to take off with a credit card and adhesive can be removed with Goo Be Gone and it would look like new if you don't like the limbsavers or want to trade or sale it without them on.
I like 8 strand SBD bowstrings with wool puffs to quieten a bow.

Offline woodyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 10:33:53 PM »
Thanks guys. And I do think I have a set of limbsavers so I'll give them a try thanks for the help.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 10:47:58 AM »
I've owned both and the Chinook by far is my most favorite recurve ever.  I owned a Kestral and Troll, loved the way they shot but if my release was off just the slightest, arrow control was compromised a bit; not a lot but just a bit.  I expected this from a shorter bow but just shot my Chinook better, which is my go-to hunting bow.  Mine is 56" and 45# @ 28", which is the most quiet recurve I have ever owned.  Best of luck.

"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline woodyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 07:16:38 PM »
Doug, I appreciate the feedback. Thanks

Offline flightmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 07:51:54 PM »
I recently ordered a toelke Troll and love it, shot striker bows for years and can tell you my experiences, the troll is awesome and I wont go back to anything else.
Toelke ( Troll)

Striker bow (stinger)

Compton Member
PBS MEMBER
"In the wind he is still alive Fred Bear "

Offline woodyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 01:17:43 PM »
Medic, Thanks

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 02:34:04 PM »
Can't speak on the Kestrel but Dan is making me a t/d Chinook as we speak.

Guess I'm no help at all... :biglaugh:
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline woodyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 04:07:28 PM »
Fred, Good for you sounds like its a great bow, like all Toelke's. When you get it let me know your thoughts, and I think the TD feature is great too. Puts a little more mass where you need it. What is the poundage on yours ?

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 04:11:00 PM »
I asked Dan to make it 60” 48#@28”
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©