3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PSA for the sharpening challenged!!!  (Read 1711 times)

Bisch

PSA for the sharpening challenged!!!
« on: June 06, 2018, 03:38:31 PM »
I am sharpening challenged! I freely admit it, and deal with it. I won’t try to sharpen knives, because I just screw them all up.

I have learned to sharpen my 2-blade broadheads. I am very picky about my broadheads and want them shaving sharp. After trying nearly every kind of sharpener made, I finally came up with a way that works well using a KME Knife sharpener (Best product of its kind on the market today!). It is a very slow procedure, but the best system I had ever came up with to get broadheads as sharp as I like them. I absolutely dread sharpening broadheads......to the point that I will put it off till I just don’t have any more to shoot.

Fast forward to today. Totally by accident, I have discovered the holy grail for 2-blade broadhead sharpening!!!!!

A few days ago, I was perusing (that means reading for all you rednecks out there  :laughing: :laughing:) the classifieds on another forum I frequent when I came across a Chef’s Choice EdgeSelect 120 electric knife sharpener for sale. I got to thinking I really needed something to sharpen my kitchen knives with, so I googled this product for reviews. All the reviews looked good, so I bought it.

It came yesterday. I got to playing with it today, and sharpened all my kitchen knives in no time. They are not professionally sharp, but way better than the dull that they were before. I was happy!

While doing the kitchen knives I was looking at the machine, and thought “Huh, that looks like it might work for broadhead blades.”

Not expecting much because of other methods of electric sharpening I have tried in the past, I got out one of my dull Magnus Stingers, and gave it a whirl.

All I can say is “WOWSER!!!!!!!”

I ended up sharpening 10 broadheads in 30 minutes, Stingers and German Kinetics, and every one of them shave as well or better than any I have ever sharpened before! I used vise grips to hold the blade while I sharpened it.

So, if you have a hard time sharpening 2-blade heads, and struggle the way I used to, you might want to give this product a try. I never dreamed it could be this easy!!!!!

Bisch
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 04:07:50 PM by Bisch »

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: PSA for the sharpening challenged!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 04:02:29 PM »
I have one of those but broadheads don't seem to fit mine.  Probably a different model?

It's great on kitchen knives especially after My germaphobic wife and daughters use the knives on glass cutting b"boards"
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Bisch

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 04:07:04 PM »
I have one of those but broadheads don't seem to fit mine.  Probably a different model?

It's great on kitchen knives especially after My germaphobic wife and daughters use the knives on glass cutting b"boards"

Note: this sharpener will only work on blades that can be removed from the ferrule, like Magnus Stingers, German Kinetic, Eclipse, etc..

Bisch

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 04:10:59 PM »
Great tip    :thumbsup:  Thanks Bisch

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 05:24:32 PM »
Wow, thanks Bisch! Like you I am sharpening challenged. I'll look into this more and maybe give it a try.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 09:06:40 PM »
Bisch, thanks for the heads up. I too am sharpening challenged. I just found the sharpener on the big auction site and they were offering 20% off with a coupon code so I bought one. Fred
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 09:48:11 PM »
Have you tried a RADA, best money I've ever spent for broadhead sharpening, I'm a wizard with a 3 blade but sharpening challenged on a 2 blade.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 09:57:44 PM »
2 blade double bevel ive gotten good with the kme broadhead sharpener now i am working on the single bevel side of thi gs and found it wont match bevel angle on some. Now i am working on learning freehand and with some heads ive found i can get scary sharp, some not so much though
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline killzthemost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 02:38:25 AM »
Thanks Bish,  how I sharpen a broadhead , I use the KME broadhead sharpener but I use it with a electric belt sander start with 230 grit then 600 then 1000 and shaving sharp and polished.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 07:57:37 AM »
Hey Jerry! Sometime when you're near Austin you should check out my paper wheel system. It works on broadheads without removing the ferrule, and it works great on kitchen knives too!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Bisch

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 08:40:40 AM »
Hey Jerry! Sometime when you're near Austin you should check out my paper wheel system. It works on broadheads without removing the ferrule, and it works great on kitchen knives too!

I have been paper wheels. The problem for me is that I can’t hold the same angle on both sides, so I end up with not so sharp blades!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 06:21:45 PM »

I believe Alton Brown said it best when he called glass cutting boards “dark lord of the Sith evil” for knives.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 09:39:53 PM »

I have been paper wheels. The problem for me is that I can’t hold the same angle on both sides, so I end up with not so sharp blades!

Bisch

Ah. That's another problem altogether! I tried a commercial knife sharpener for my Simmons, but the ferrule got in the way.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©