3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tick removal tip!!!!!!!!  (Read 4578 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tick removal tip!!!!!!!!
« on: June 16, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »
It’s that time of year again! With folks hitting the ranges and putting out trail cams etc... we are eventually going to come in contact with tics.
This morning i went to my favorite piece of public land to set out some trail cams. I always wait until all seasons are closed and it gets hot to lessen the chance of someone finding my cameras. Before entering the woods I spayed down heavily and made sure to get all the cuff areas, neck and waistline!
And wouldn’t you know it, I got a dang tick on my neck!
I didn’t realize it till I got home. Well the other day I saw a video where a guy used TEA TREE OIL to remove a tick. Having tried just about every other method of removing tics in the past with less than satisfactory results I thought I’d give it a try.
This is absolutely the best thing I’ve ever seen!!! That little sucker ( pun intended) came off in less than 5 seconds!!
I will be carrying some cotton swabs and tea tree oil in my pack from now on!

Everyone be safe out there!!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tick removal tip!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 01:08:31 PM »
You using permethrin on your clothes? I haven't had issues when using that stuff.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 01:09:00 PM »
I am sorry to say that is the most dangerous way of removing a tick that there is, use a simple tom o tick tool, that method you describe is a sure way of getting lyme or any other nasty disease that ticks carry because the moment you apply the oil it regurgitates its saliva directly into your blood stream along with anything nasty it carries, please do not do this, I have friends with lyme and it is really nasty,regards wayne

Offline Howitser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 01:47:42 PM »
Good info Wayne, and absolutely correct. Should any part of the tick remain after using the tool simply rub on some OTC antibiotic.  Your body will treat the part like a small splinter, don't try to dig it out as it will eject in a day or two with a light squeeze.
Howie
Never forget our POW/MIA's

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 01:52:15 PM »
Dang it Wayne, I had no idea! Thank you for the info!!
And yes, I treat my clothes with permethrin. I’ve only had 2 tics since doing this and both have been on my neck area.  I think mainly because of brushing up against tall brush when trimming trails like today
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 01:56:11 PM »
And yes, I treat my clothes with permethrin. I’ve only had 2 tics since doing this and both have been on my neck area.  I think mainly because of brushing up against tall brush when trimming trails like today

Yep! The neck is the weak spot. I am paranoid, so I wear a Buff that I've treated, even in mid summer. The one time I dropped it around my neck, I took a wasp sting right there.  :banghead:
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 06:22:01 PM »
Have any of you tried freezing them... I was watching a show and they said the best way to remove a tick was to use one of those over the counter wart freezing tools (the kind with the cup and you push down and it releases freezing agent) and freeze the little buggers instantly then just remove. They also said if you can catch them within 48 hours of contact you chances of catching anything are very slim...
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 07:02:10 PM »
For anyone not wanting to use chemicals chrysanthemum oil is really good as a deterrent but permetherin on clothing is really good, we use tick clothing in the uk which is great, i also use a  spray for skin contact i will post a pic tomorrow and have not had a single tick since taking these precautions. on the west coast of Scotland where i hunt is the most concentrated area for ticks and the red deer are crawling with them it is unreal how many are on a single animal and each year gets worse, take care guys its a terrible thing to be hit with any disease the ticks carry it never leaves you, if you get a ring or red rash get to the doctors and get a large dose of antibiotics as testing is a waste of time and you don't have time to waste, regards, wayne

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 10:25:51 PM »
Never heard of that before. I'll have to try it. Just walking in and out to my camera today I found 3 on me when I got back to the truck. Seems to be a bad year around here.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 09:19:44 AM »
Permithrin (sp?) works great as a  preliminary defense. I have clothes heavily sprayed with this stuff that I reserve for walking in heavily tick infested areas.

Use the tick pulling tool as mentioned above....
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 10:36:43 AM »
after spraying my clothing with permitherin these are the two products i use the first spray on the left was from Germany although i have found it on the net i spray my wrists and ankles, the next is calendula oil which is from the marigold flower a natural tick repellent, like the chrysanthemum oil, regards wayne

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 10:53:35 AM »
Last tick bite I had, the wife pulled it off. But part of it stayed in my skin. After a month, I had to have a surgeon remove it.

First tick bite I had, the doctor said it was fine and nothing in my skin.

8 months later I squeezed the head out. It was a woods tick.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »
Agree 100%, DO NOT apply anything irritant to the tick or use heat etc.  Like previously stated you do not want the tick to regurgitate its meal into your bloodstream.  The Tick Tom depicted is great OR just find the right kind of tweezers that have angled jaws so you can really grab the tick by the head not the body. 

Permethrin is all that jazz, DEET works great but do not get it on your bow. 

Myself I've had great luck with a product called Herbal Armor by All Terrain.  It uses 6 essential oils and when combined with a Thermacell I rarely have issues with bugs in Florida except for some occasional battles with yellow flies (those sumbitches are tenacious). 

52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 09:01:15 AM »
I noticed you can buy a set of 4 of the tick removers mentioned above for 99 cents delivered free off fleabay.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 04:24:51 PM »
Sorry, I don't know about Tea Tree Oil???  Where do you get the stuff?  I usually get a few ticks when fly fishing this time of the year, but have not had any dig in to the skin so far.

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »
I gave up deet years ago and started using a product made from Cedar oil. It's all natural and makes you smell like a walking cedar tree. Ticks don't tend to be terrible in the areas I hunt, but haven't had any issues since I started using it. Also great for repelling chiggers, which can be a huge problem in this area as well as mosquitoes, biting flys, etc. The one I use is made specifically for hunters and I will be more than happy to share info by PM. There are other products available that are less and may be just as good, I just haven't used them and therefore can't vouch for them.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »
I have watched ticks crawl right up my permethrin treated pants???
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 09:18:06 PM »
yeah but usually if you leave them long enough they will drop off.

I have watched ticks crawl right up my permethrin treated pants???
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 09:36:05 AM »
I have been using Permethrin regularly for many years and swear by it. Deet seems good against mosquitos, but, in my experience, its more like a dipping sauce as far as ticks are concerned. I no longer use Deet. I have an all herbal product for mosquitos that doesn't smell as bad or ruin finishes on equipment. Whatever you find that works, USE it. I have Alpha Gal meat allergy and have had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, so I know the seriousness of ticks. They ain't no joke!
Sam

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 11:06:43 AM »
I watched a tick crawling up my Permethrin treated pant leg and it only made it about 4" before it curled up and fell off. I swear by Permethrin. For skin I use Picaridin instead of Deet. Picaridin is just as effective as Deet but it odorless, non-greasy and doesn't dissolve plastics or synthetics like Deet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©