3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any news from the first week hunters at Bear Quest 12  (Read 4331 times)

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Any news from the first week hunters at Bear Quest 12
« on: June 18, 2018, 06:04:57 PM »
Waiting for the stories. Hope all went well for everyone!! :campfire:

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any news from the first week hunters at Bear Quest 12
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 08:33:02 AM »
Been looking for them myself.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:40:35 AM »
X3..... :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 10:32:34 AM »
 :campfire: :coffee:

I'm ready :thumbsup:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 10:56:51 AM »
Rumor has it bears were seen.............. :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 08:45:19 PM »
an official thread is forthcoming and yes there was some blood spilled :goldtooth:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 10:28:55 PM »
 :campfire: :coffee:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 10:35:23 PM »
Oh yeah, bring it on! :coffee: :campfire:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

huntryx

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 11:17:16 AM »
Here's the overview: many bears up there and I took 2 shots, the first a clean miss from a tree stand due to nerves, the second a clean miss due to hitting my bow limb on the blind roof-- darn it I didn't practice for a blind. It was very exciting and very interesting to me to watch an entirely different kind of critter after hunting deer for so many years. Skeeters were relentless and the weather went from really hot to downright chilly with a little rain thrown in.
 I think there were 10 hunters, 4 bears taken (2 the last day), two non lethal hits and 2 hits that seemed lethal but were not recovered even with a heavy blood trail.  The toughest part for me was eating dinner at 10PM!
I hunted the Moose Path stand for 4 nights, and Coleman one night, in a pop-up blind. I saw 2 yearling cubs (with mama thrashing and popping in the bushes at them as they ate) the first night, 6 different bears, a couple of which were good-sized, the second night, two bears the third, a nice one the fourth and another medium one, kind of leggy, the last night. Biggest bear taken was 123#, smallest 70#. All were sows, I believe. I was delighted to meet fellow T'gangers French Manny, Drew and Bill Terry-- a lot of experience, wisdom and humor among those 3 gentlemen. Tom Phillips worked his a** off to make sure everybody had a good hunt, and it was great to meet Paula and Paxton (the beagle) as well. All in all, an unforgettable experience.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 12:54:01 PM by huntryx »

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 09:46:15 PM »
 :clapper: :clapper: Glad you had a good time........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 09:55:39 PM »
Thank you for sharing your experience here with us. Sorry for the misses but, I'll wager you learned some new stuff?! :bigsmyl:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

huntryx

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 06:40:30 AM »
Learned new stuff? Oh  yeah :thumbsup:

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 11:21:00 AM »
Tom puts a lot of work into getting everything set up for the hunters weeks before anyone gets there and never seems to sit still the whole week of the hunt. I look forward to seeing him at etar in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 12:37:11 PM by R. Combs »

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 02:37:12 PM »
Glad you had some action Susan. 
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 06:48:58 PM »
I had a great time and meeting Susan just made it that much better , she is a fine lady and hunter.
I was on beaver pond stand the first evening and chased a small bear out to get in the stand. It however came right back and I got to watch it feed in and out for a couple hours . The little bear ran off and sure enough a bigger one came in 15 minutes after that  very slowly and carefully , though this looked like a good bear I had decided no shooting on the first night. I did get a couple of pics of each and ended the night with a good look at a couple bears.
 I went out to coleman stand the second night in hopes that my son Adam would get a shot at the second bear from beaver pond that night . We switched stands as he had been on coleman the night before with no bears seen.
I got in stand and settled down for what I thought might be a tough wait but soon had a bear behind me in the brush . This bear looked small to start with because of the long legs but after breaking trees and making much noise he came in with many false starts , retreats and do overs , not a bad looking bear but rubbed some on the back . I took some video of him and watched his behavior around the bait and it was pretty cool.
When he ran off I took a chance and added a layer as I was getting cold , I looked back and he was gone. It didn't take long and I had another bear circling to the bait and right away I thought this bear looked fat , bigger around then the barrel I thought and went right into shoot mode . ( no pics before )
She came in and made it to the bait and as I was at half draw she bolted at the sound of a truck coming up the road . She came right back in and once again I went into shoot mode and when the closer leg went forward and her head was down I came to full draw and released . The shot went right in behind that leg and out the bottom between the front legs and fell out down the trail a short ways. I thought I heard a exhale of air after and quietly got down for the night. I thought I saw a big black blob off in the woods and was very confident in the shot .
I returned to camp and after a quick meal we went out to retrieve my bear. The black blob I saw turned out to be a log end and we started to follow the blood . The moss sucks  up blood but the trail was pretty easy to follow and into the thick brush I went . I found her in the thick stuff 100 plus yards from the bait  , dead in mid stride. Now this bear didn't look as big as before and but a good clean kill and recovery was made , now let me tell ya after the drag out she seemed heavier than before .
 We returned to camp after midnight and went to bed . After weigh in she was 113.4, not what I was expecting but I am proud of her all the same . I had a great time and got to meet a great group of folks , Tom and Paula worked there buts off for us. Thanks again Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©