3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FF v/s Dacron performance testing  (Read 6777 times)

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FF v/s Dacron performance testing
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 07:44:25 PM »
Allen, How does the Rampage compare to any of the BCY products? Been shooting the X-99, I like it but I always like trying new stuff.

Bob

I think Chad pretty much answered your question. To each his own.....I tend to prefer non blended material, such as Rampage and Fury. I get a little better performance, and the shot feels softer to me.  They all make nice strings though.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 12:19:22 AM »
Am I the only one that still uses D-97?  I've built a 16 strand string for all of my Fast Flight compatible bows and have been very happy with 2 Black Widow spider silencers.  I guess when Rampage is considered outdated I'll get a few spool and give it a shot.  :goldtooth:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 05:17:04 AM »
Am I the only one that still uses D-97?  I've built a 16 strand string for all of my Fast Flight compatible bows and have been very happy with 2 Black Widow spider silencers.  I guess when Rampage is considered outdated I'll get a few spool and give it a shot.  :goldtooth:

I still build quite a few strings from D97.  One of the most detail oriented shooters that I know still prefers it.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2018, 08:34:37 AM »
How quiet was the rampage.?? How about the B-50.??
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2018, 10:01:29 AM »
Not that long ago Chad (LBR) posted what I recollect were some of his tests with various low stretch materials.  The gist of it was there was't much difference among them.  I've found D-97 satisfactory for a while now and don't plan to change any time soon.

Seems the recent trend is the development of skinnier strands, which generally requires more strands in the string.  I'd prefer to go the other way, thicker strands that would require fewer strands in the string.  May not make as "round" a string, but easier to work with IMO.  Might even obviate the need for padding the loops for certain bows. 

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 05:23:06 PM »
That's the beauty of this game....we all don't have to do the same thing.    :thumbsup:

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 06:30:04 PM »
How quiet was the rampage.?? How about the B-50.??

I think Rampage is just as quiet as any other FF material.  I have built a ton of them for customers this year.  B50 on my bow was very quiet, especially with whiskers on it. When I took the whiskers off, it seemed like the string vibrated for 5 seconds after the shot...still fairly quiet though.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 06:58:21 PM »
For myself, making a B50 string for that test bow it would have been ten strands.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
I have enjoyed visibly observing  actual increases in speed.. if my site window increases within my piint- on range, I take full advantage by increasing shaft weight such as to maintain the engrained sight window.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »
I agree Monterey
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2018, 04:33:18 PM »
On a different note...I'd use "FF" type materials if they were 10 fps slower than Dacron.  I can't shoot the difference in 10 fps, much less see it.  I CAN tell a difference in the way a bow feels, especially at release.  I can tell the difference in consistency, durability, and stability.  A gain of a few fps isn't one of the big benefits, it's just icing on the cake (IMO).

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2018, 04:37:36 PM »
A dacron string needs a few hundreds shots and some continuous brace height adjustment to be settled in. If you twisted the string and made the chrono soon after that can explain such a big difference.
Five years ago I purchased a Toelke recurve that came with a stock endless Dacron string I shot it for several weeks and then put a D10 10 strands Flemish string from a famous string maker. I chronoed the bow with same arrow and the 2 differents strings on same day shooting session under the prochrono light kit ( the D10 had a "break in time as well), both strings set for same BH. I surprisingly found only 5 fps speed advantage with the D10.
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2018, 05:31:22 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I know that technically the B50 string could have had a few less strands, but so could the Rampage string.  Just tested what I normally build.

I'm with Chad, I would still shoot a FF string, even if there was no performance advantage.  I was simply trying to answer a customer's question when I did this test.

pavan

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 05:55:10 PM »
My better longbows shoot very nice with B50 strings, but there is no arguing the durability and stability advantages of Chad's BCY  strings.

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2018, 07:19:36 AM »
I cant argue the performance increase in FF strings over B50. But I don't own a chrono and am not chasing FPS when shooting. Nothing wrong with speed but I prefer silence when looking for a hunting string. I also like that I can use Dacron on any bow from an old bear Kodiak to something fresh from a bowyer without having to use different materials. I've never messed with FF strings so I'm used to the shock of Dacron. Didn't even know there was any until reading this! The vast selection of FF string materials is too confusing for me! Shoot what you like I say, and ill do the same, tinkering with my string as it continues stretching out!!

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2018, 08:24:19 AM »
   I have been making strings since the early 90's but don't sell them just like helping those in need that I know. I have shot bows with Fast flight and my favorite Dacron is just plain B-50 by Brownell.
 I made a nice string stretcher about 4 years ago that I use to pre stretch all my strings so they don't creep hardly at all.I also use the jig for putting on home made string puffs and wrapping wool down the "Y" section of the string loops "If" need be .
 The B-50 may be a bit slower but how much doesn't bother me cause I try to keep my shots 15 to 20 yards max.
  I don't get in "ANY" debates about what a person likes in a string but I know many folks in my parts still love Dacron B-50 and it's been around for quite some time.
  Bows are built different and some perform better with F.F. materials but I get more comments about how quiet my bows are and I only have a few with F.F. on them and that is 450+ .
 I really like how Brownell has come out with some really nice color choice's .
  Guess I'm old school but I am a fan of B-50 and been using it for years. :archer2:

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2018, 12:59:31 PM »
If felt that way for a long time as well Keefer, many people on here would agree there is nothing wrong with doing stuff the old fashioned way.  I prefer working with D97 instead of b50 or b55, I seems to stick together better while twisting and I can make a nicer string with smaller and fewer tag ends sticking out.  I haven't worked with any other materials so I cannot comment on that aspect.   
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »
String material is like buying hunting boots,if one kind was best for everybody only one company would be in business.I feel that low stretch strings may amplify mistakes in shooting form or release,my hunting bows are made for the newer materials but I still like the old tried and proven B-50.Nothing against the other materials as long as they are on somebody elses bow.To each his own and just enjoy shooting your bow!
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

pavan

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2018, 02:00:33 PM »
Different bows will see varied results when comparing strings.  The mass weight of the limb can nullify the lower weight advantages of the FF strings, just like a larger limbed longbow will not show as wide a difference when comparing a heavier arrow versus a lighter arrow, because of the energy/mass ratio.  The heavy action longbows may not shoot much faster, but they are generally the ones that benefit the most from the FF string.  Not all B 50 strings are created equal, too many twists, sloppy loops, wax weight, one in the break in process, it all makes a difference.  I found years ago that if I made a B 50 with very hard twists in the loops and minimum twists to adjust for length in the finished string, showed a measurable advantage in arrow speed on my faster longbows, like my Schulz.  I would bet a FF string with many more twists will not show as much variation.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2018, 03:49:13 PM »
Tons of variables in how the string is made, even more opinions...but sorting out string materials isn't really as complicated as it may seem.

Currently there are only 3 basic types of string materials (not counting primitive materials like silk, linen, sinew, hide, plant fibers, etc.). 

#1.  Polyester.  Most everyone knows it as "dacron".  B-55 or B-50.  Safe for any bow, has the most stretch, the most creep, the least duribility, transfers the most shock.  Comes in different grades.  B-55 is a slightly higher grade than B-50.

#2.  HMPE, UHMWPE.  High Modulus Polyethylene or Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene.  Most common brand names, at least in the bow string industry, are Dyneema and Spectra.  Comes in different grades or deniers.  Original Fast Flight is 652 Spectra.  Covers materials like Dynaflight '97, 8125, Mercury.

#3.  HMPE/LCP blends.  LCP is Liquid Crystal Polymer.  The most common brand name in bowstring is Vectran.  The characteristic that makes it desireable in a bow string is it's stability and resistance to changes with temperature extremes, especially heat.  452X has been the most popular on the other side of the sport for many years, and continues to be the benchmark, but other options are 450+, BCY-X (to be discontinued probably by the end of the year), and X-99.

Everyone has their preferances, opinions, and experiences.  All the Olympic archers (actual Olympians...I say that because I've seen at least two "gurus" try to pass off "Olympic style" as actual Olympic archers) I know of (several) shoot 8125, as do many top archers.  A few others I know that have been known to shoot pretty well (Rod Jenkins, Jason Westbrock, Denny Sturgis Jr.) do quite well with BCY-X.  I'm thinking John Demmer is shooting BCY-X, but can't rememeber for sure.  Of course it's the string material that make these guys such great shots!   :thumbsup: :archer2:

I've had an obsession with strings and string materials for about 25 years now.  The more I learn, the more I discover that there's tons more to learn.  When I think I have something figured out it just leads to more questions, more experimenting, more time spent talking to archers and coaches and string makers, etc.

One thing is for sure.  The string material is only one part of the equation.  A good string can be made with the worst material, and a lousy string can be made with the best.  Then you have to do your part with tuning, your release, silencer placement, etc. etc. etc.

Someone could spend literally years with a hooter shooter and chrony and test countless draw lengths, arrow weights, bow styles, etc. etc. etc and compile a book...and it's still not going to cover everything.

We do know that the "FF" type materials are more durable, more stable, more consistent.  How much?  Depends.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©