3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve FPS?  (Read 3967 times)

Offline TheAbominableBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve FPS?
« on: June 24, 2018, 09:38:00 PM »
So I chrono’ed my rig today. I’m getting 157 FPS out of the Tall Tines. I’m shooting 58#’s at 28.5”, and a 572grn arrow. Is that decent? After making the move to trad archery from the compound it was a bit of a shock. I’m used to the 324 FPS the halon spits out.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Recurve FPS?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 10:29:48 PM »
It's decent, but on the slow side for that bow. Are you sure you draw 28.5 inches?

Bisch

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 10:52:59 PM »
It will work no problem, but I would have expected more out of that setup at that poundage and arrow weight.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 11:18:33 PM »
I would try another chrono or different daylight situation if you don’t have a light kit on the chrono. I have gotten some strange readings without the light kit on mine.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 11:19:39 PM »
I’ve also read to black sharpie your field tips.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 12:14:54 AM »
So I chrono’ed my rig today. I’m getting 157 FPS out of the Tall Tines. I’m shooting 58#’s at 28.5”, and a 572grn arrow. Is that decent? After making the move to trad archery from the compound it was a bit of a shock. I’m used to the 324 FPS the halon spits out.
At 28.5" the Halon isn't hitting 324, especially with a hunting arrow.  I don't even chrono my recurves usually.  I think that's a little low for a TT though.  I had one about that same weight,  but I have a 31" draw.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Offline styksnstryngs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 12:23:36 AM »
What kind of string are you running?

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 12:31:41 AM »
Seems on the slow side but did you scale the bow?  I've seen some surprising variations between marked and actual.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 12:54:05 AM »
Honestly sounds on the low end...but I've known of chronographs hurting a lot of people's feelings.  They think they are approaching 200 fps, when the chrony says a whole lot less.

If you haven't done them already, there are lots of ways to improve performance.  A big one that Rod Jenkins mentions on his site (www.safarituff.com) is work on your release.  A good release can make a big difference in speed, noise, and accuracy.  Get a well made string.  A good string served to fit your nocks can make a good bit of difference.  Tuning is a biggie also.

To get an idea of what your bow is capable of, you need to find someone with a Hooter Shooter.  It won't short draw, make a bad release, vary, etc.  Anything else is an (educated?) guess.  Also, be sure your chronograph is properly calibrated and the light conditions and shooting distance is correct.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 01:22:40 AM »
You also must stand far enough back from the first gate on the chronograph to make sure the arrow has left the string before the arrow crosses through the first gate or else you will get a slow reading! I would of guessed you would have at least been in the 170's!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 05:25:24 AM »
I agree with Chad.  It's possible you are collapsing at release.  It's very easy to loose or gain 10 fps just from your release.  I would expect your #s to be at lease 170

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 06:37:50 AM »
It's decent, but on the slow side for that bow. Are you sure you draw 28.5 inches?

I checked my draw length with the indicator arrow thingy. 28.5 is what I was getting.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 06:39:04 AM »
At 28.5" the Halon isn't hitting 324, especially with a hunting arrow.  I don't even chrono my recurves usually.  I think that's a little low for a TT though.  I had one about that same weight,  but I have a 31" draw.

My draw length on the Halon is 31 hence the big FPS.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 06:40:31 AM »
I agree with Chad.  It's possible you are collapsing at release.  It's very easy to loose or gain 10 fps just from your release.  I would expect your #s to be at lease 170

This might be the case. That number seemed low to me too. I’m gonna check the brace height, wait for a sunny day and give it another go.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 08:19:45 AM »

I checked my draw length with the indicator arrow thingy. 28.5 is what I was getting.

I know many folks that when measuring their draw length they pull farther than they do when they are actually shooting.

Just a thought.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 10:00:39 AM »
Have a helper put a mark at the back of the arrow at full draw and then have them observe for actual draw length when you shoot over the chrono.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »
Have a helper put a mark at the back of the arrow at full draw and then have them observe for actual draw length when you shoot over the chrono.

Good advice! Gonna give this a try after work. From what I’ve been reading here and on other sites I’m definitely shooting slow. It could be from a number of different things but something surely is off. 

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 11:02:19 AM »
I agree with others who say that your numbers seem very low for a Tall Tines bow.  I would expect that you would be close to 170 fps with 10 grains/pound arrow weight and a clean release.  Have a buddy shoot your bow and see if you get the same results.  As others have speculated, there may be some issue with your release that is holding the speed down.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 05:49:55 PM »
So my draw length is actually 29.5 and the chrono apparently hates the sun. I got a big variation in readings when shooting in the garage today versus outside.

Inside was more in like what the consensus was here: 181 FPS, 183 FPS, 185 FPS and 186 FPS. Outside it dropped back into the 153-157 FPS range.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:37:22 PM by TheAbominableBowman »

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 05:52:25 PM »
Well,  you didn't mention that part lol

My draw length on the Halon is 31 hence the big FPS.

Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©