3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: kids red oak board bow, measurements?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
kids red oak board bow, measurements?
« on: June 25, 2018, 08:42:45 AM »
I built my son a red oak board bow few years ago. Need to build another.
All 1/4”x 1.5” X 48” long.
stacked 1/4” wood on the handle area and 1pc 1/4” at the tips.
I know it was to taper around 3/8 or 1/2 at the tips. Had little shelf cut into it. There is a measurement you use from the center of the bow out for the handle, That tapered out to the tips.

For the life of me I cannot find those measurements again. Does anyone have them?
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: kids red oak board bow, measurements?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 09:56:58 AM »
I don't understand the question.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 10:13:05 AM »
This is a pyramid type design kids bow. You would have had to built this style to understand clearly.
You use red oak from hardware store to build it. 1/4” thick finished red oak. Very simple. But there is a measurement from the center of the bow handle out to the tips. For the taper.
This is not a removal of wood. Like you would for a tradition selfbow build. It remains 1/4” throughout the limbs. Back to belly. Easy build. But I need those taper measurements. From center out to the handle ends and then the taper out to the tips.
You don’t put on a draw board or anything like that. Simple type build. It’s very simple and works well on a kids bow. Only come out around 15-20lbs. For like about 7yr olds and under.

Online Bob T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:42:40 AM »
RedShaft, You might want to move this over to The Bowyer's Bench where you will get more info.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 12:46:38 PM »
I just found the info i needed!
Thanks guys!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »
Ok, now I understand.  I have built a bunch of these bows with short handles.  About 5 or 6 inches long with the side taper beginning at the end of the handle fade.  handle width flaring out to full  width over about 2.5 to 3 inches from the end of the grip section out to the end of the handle fade.  I do the side tapers from the handle fade all the way to the tip and end the width at the tip at about a 1/4" with a small overlay on the tip to hold a string groove and no string groove on the sides.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 01:22:33 PM »
Yes.
They make great little projects and nice bows!
If anyone needs it. Mine are 48” long 1/4” x1.5” red oak.
1/2” at the tips, centered in limbs of course. 
Mark center of bow, from center measure out 3” each way. Make another mark.
This 6” overall will be the handle area.
From the 3” marks go out/ up towards the tips another 1.5”. And make a mark. Do both sides.
I glue my 3 layer stacked 1/4” wood handle between the 6” marks.
On the other side of the bow.( Back of the limb.. )glue 1pc on each tip, 2” long x1.5” 1/4” piece of wood as basically a tip overlay.
I cut the angels.. the limbs from the outer edge of the 1/2” of the limbs  tips to the mark i make that was the 1.5” past the handle.
Basically past the handle you keep the width of the bow (1.5”) for another 1.5” then drawn a angular line from that 1.5” mark from the edge of the bow to the edge of what you made the limb tip.
When everything is all glued. You cut that angle on a vertical band saw. Cut in your string grooves. Make the handle how you want. But I never made mine any thinner than 3/4”. I’m no bowyer belive me... but I cut sight window best I can and just make it. If you break it. You only have literally like $6 or less in wood.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©