3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavyweight broadhead shootout  (Read 13655 times)

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Heavyweight broadhead shootout
« on: June 27, 2018, 04:32:39 PM »
Well all the broadheads for this years test are in so its time to get started. Up first will be an introduction to each broadhead and initial thoughts based upon construction and finish. The heads this year are as follows.
Alien archery predator xtg 310 single bevel
Tusker concord 190 single bevel
Cutthroat 190 grain glue on
Grizzly 185 grain
Bruin 200 grain
Steelforce 300 grain
Tuffhead 300 grain screw in
Kodiak 225

All glue on heads have screw in adapters to bring the weights up between 300-325 grains. I will do an exact weigh up of each broadhead later on once i get to the shop

Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavyweight broadhead shootout
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 04:48:18 PM »
First off is the Alien archery predator xtg 310. This is one of the two offerings in this years test coming from Australia. Its an all stainless steel single bevel head. The blade is attached to the ferule via 3 press fit pins which seem to lock the blade in very well. The blade profile is very unique to say the least. The main portion of the blade has a grind angle a bit different than most as its not as steep and the leading edge is somewhat of a tanto with what i would call a 1.5 bevel grind if that makes sense bringing it to more of a point than many single bevel heads ive worked with. One of the interesting features of these broadheads is that the blade and the ferule are hardened to different levels with the ferule being softer to help prevent shearing off at the threads. I would not call it hunting sharp out of the package but the bevel grind is very uniform and hopefully will take an edge easily. According to the companies owner jason these blades are chemically sharpened, im not sure if this is good or not but the blades and ferules are much smoother than any others in the test.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 05:02:33 PM »
Next up to bat is our second australian entry, the tusker concord 190 grain single bevel. Price point wise these are the cheapest in the test. The construction is laminated steel thats spot welded and brazed like a few other in this test. Blade thickness is the thinnest out of all the entries which leads to concern of tip curl but that will be put to the test later on. These heads are also the furthest from hunt ready out of the package, through the pack of 6 i dont believe any 2 bevels were the same angle and as seen in the one picture out of the pack the bevel only goes to about half the blade thickness. Before sharpening i will have to also true the edges due to the off side from the bevel most blades are rounded off. Im not saying this against the head as you have to consider at a third the price of the other heads the price savings have to come from somewhere

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 05:23:30 PM »
Our third entry is the Cutthroat 190 grain glue on single bevel. I received this broadhead with a steel adapter to bring it up to weight with the others. This broadhead stands out from the others in that it is 1 piece solid machined tool steel. Fit and finish is superb and the black coating is very smooth. The bevel on the one i received is very consistent and will cut into my nail easily out of the pack but isnt quite shaving sharp yet. Its a very stout looking broadhead and i expect it to perform very well in the upcoming tests.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 05:43:56 PM »
first up for the grizzly trio is the grizzly 185. This is a laminated steel single bevel glue on like several others in the test. Construction seems on par with other laminated heads and it has a rough file like grind on the bevel. The broadhead came with an adapter already glued in to bring the weight up for the tests.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 05:56:27 PM »
Next in the grizzly family is the 200 grain bruin. This is another laminated head but it is the only double bevel in my test. Its a solid looking head with a rough file like grind but it should take an edge very well.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 06:08:06 PM »
now up for our second screw in only head, the steelforce 300 grain single bevel. This head has a slightly different blade attachment system, it appears that the blade slides into the ferule and everything is locked together with a brass ring. The blade is .080" thick stainless steel and has a steel ferule. Its fairly sharp out of the package and will cut paper fairly easily. Another thing to note is that steelforce offers lifetime resharpening 

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 06:24:55 PM »
Here we have the new tuffhead 300 grain screw in model. This head is essentially the regular tuffhead with a screw in adapter welded in. The adapter sits recessed into the ferule slightly which on the few different arrows ive screwed this head into the ferule sleeves over the end of the shaft slightly. Out of the pack the grind is coarse but will cut paper easily and was the only broadhead out of all i have that would shave hair out of the pack. It should not take much effort at all to get hunt ready sharp. All 3 broadheads in my pack also spun very well which was very pleasing.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 06:33:24 PM »
The final entry in this years test is the big kodiak 225 grain. Overall it looks amd is built like an oversized grizzly. Edge grind is rough but a bit more even than the grizzly had.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 05:54:47 AM »
Thanks for taking the time ! What testing media are you going to use ?
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »
Oh boy, this looks interesting!  If you want a Zwickey No Mercy glue on double bevel broadhead to throw in the mix, I will send you one.  Thanks for taking your time and monies to do this.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 02:40:13 PM »
Edge retention test i will more than likely use 1/4" plywood. Im not doing a destruction test like most tests show as the last time i checked we do not hunt cinder blocks or steel barrels. For my rotational test im going to try stacked cardboard pieces with the 12 o'clock position marked so i can lay them out to show how the broadhead rotates as it passea through each layer. If anyone has a broadhead they want to donate to have included in the test just send me a pm. My only requirement for test broadheads is that it be possible to bring weight up to 300 grain + when using steel adapters. One of the fellow members here is donating a 315 grain bishop to be added to the test as well.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 07:23:09 AM »
I have a homebrew 260 grain hill style , will try to mail it to you or send it out with a friend who is travelling.

Regards to the testing media I have been thinking about a good media for archery. Foam behave differently to animal tissue. I use a burlap target that is mostly shredded after a few days but is tough to stab in with a shaving sharp esee 4. I was thinking that regardless of all gel test and cardboard is likely to be a best of worlds. Plywood is not likely to test the edge too harshly (which may be your intent or not). May be cheaper thinner ceramic plate or cow scapula.
I have been also thinking of doing a penetration test to show my take on a heavy bow and light bow sort of scenario. Let me know what media you go with - will try to mimic as closely as possible given our different locations
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 03:40:22 PM »
The  thought process behind using plywood for the edge retention test is that it will show if an edge will dull easily on a medium that isnt going to destroy a head and itll be consistent thickness unlike a scapula so all heads will be shot at something similar. Ive uses oak boards in the past but depending how the blade hit lined up with the grain structure the results would vary. Plywood the grain alternates each layer so it wont just split when hit with the grain like it would on a board

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 05:14:12 PM »
The heavyweights have weighed in. All hit weight with the exception of 1 broadhead and that would be thw steelforce as it came in 11 grains light

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 05:16:33 PM »
Tusker concord with steel adapter. Between the broadhead, adapter and glue it came out at 316 grains which is 1 grain heavy over all advertised weights

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 05:19:53 PM »
cutthroat glue on with screw in adapter. Broadhead, adapter and glue came in at 318 grains making the combo 3 grains heavy over advertised weight

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 05:25:45 PM »
now for the steelforce. This was the only broadhead to come up short on weight. Out of the 3 pack 1 was 297 grains, one was 290 grains and the third was 289 grains. Im not sure why such a varience in weight as all appear identical. I highly doubt this will affect anything or be an issue but there is a weight varience. This will be noted in my final decisions

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 05:38:15 PM »
the grizzly,bruin and kodiak all came out to the weight requirements for the test but as they came preassmbled i dont know what weightthe adapters were its hard to tell if they hit advertised weight

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 05:44:13 PM »
for our second australian entry the alien archery predator xtg 310 held true to advertised weight of 310 grains. Across the entire half dozen of these heads every single one came out to exactly 310 grains which was very impressive

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©