3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavyweight broadhead shootout  (Read 13652 times)

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavyweight broadhead shootout
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »
the final broadhead from the weighup is the tuffhead 300 grain screw in. 2 of the heads from the pack came in at 301 grains and the third at 303 grains which i consider very good for a broadhead with this construction. It comes screw in ready with the adapter already installed but instead of gluing the adapters in tuffhead welds them in

Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 07:43:43 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 08:29:24 PM »
Just got home to find a zwickey no mercy double bevel that was donated by a fellow member here. I will me mating it up to a 175 grain abowyer/tuffhead adapter to bring up weight to compete with the other entries

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 09:17:08 PM »
I'm surprised at how close to weight all of the heads are.  Quality control has certainly gotten a lot better over the years.  I consider anything within 10-15 grains of the advertised weight to be sufficient.  Will normally take 10-20 grains off in the sharpening anyway.

I don't know that putting a heavy adaptor in the Zwickey will give a fair comparison to the other heads.  Most of the others have much thicker steel blades. The heavy adaptor will equalize the weight, but the blade will still be thin/light by comparison.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 10:27:30 PM »
The zwickey and the tusker are almost identical on blade thickness, zwickey just isnt as long

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 10:30:26 PM »
From a weight/strength perspective, I don't think the Zwickey and Tusker are in the same class with the others.  Regardless, will be interesting to see how they compare. 

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 11:07:20 PM »
Have to agree regarding Tusker, though I think the Aztec is stronger than the Concorde, or at least its shape is less conducive to bending.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 06:11:32 PM »
The final broadhead is in. One of our fellow members graciously donated a 315 grain bishop to the test. It will be our only fully machined 1 piece head in the test with the cutthroat following behind it as the cutthroat is machined but utilizing a screw in adapter

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 09:49:30 AM »
I stayed up last night and have all broadheads sharpened, stropped and shaving sharp. I now have a nice sized bare patch on my left arm but they are done. Out of the group i must say the bruin sharpened the easiest and the 3 that required ther most work in order were the tusker, bishop and the alien. Its almost time to get started on testing

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »
Can't wait!   :thumbsup:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2018, 07:00:58 PM »
well i started some of the testing. First blood has been drawn by the cutthroat. I managed to get a couple short videos done today which i will be uploading onto youtube when i get a good enough connection. Unfortunately after doing my plywood edge retention test, compressed straw test and penetration/rotational test i found that the video for rotation/penetration exceeded length and didnt save so luckily i wrote everything down as i cut apart each broadheads test target (6" cardboard tube filled with homemade ballistic gell with each end covered in leather). So far most of the heads are dead even performance wise.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2018, 08:41:09 PM »
So in terms of performance to cost ratio the bishop is way behind.
How about some shots at 45° to the plywood to put some angular stress on the shanks.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2018, 08:50:09 PM »
I can do some angular shot tests. Ill make sure i orient all the heads the same way so theoretically they should impact at the same angle or at least close to it. I have to resharpen all the single bevel heads as none are still shaving sharp besides the tuffhead which really surprised me. I will say the bishop did get a tiny little indention/chip where the tanto tip meets the cutting edge, grizzly and kodiak both had edge curling while the bruin still looks brand new and the steelforce is no longer straight and has some play in the blade.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2018, 09:05:19 PM »
So how is the Zwickey No Mercy?
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2018, 10:24:19 PM »
The no mercy is holding together good. It did get a bad wobble after the plywood test which when i shot it at the compressed straw it flew very erratic. Upon inspection though i found that i didnt get it and the adapter glued in well and it had shifted. I reglued it and its back to spinning true. Of the glue on versions the zwicky did seem to be the loosest fit to the adapter whereas the tusker was too tight to fully seat the adapter.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2018, 06:37:41 PM »

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2018, 07:13:55 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2018, 07:51:08 PM »

This was more for myself as i was watching the flight of each broadhead. The zwicky flew like a drunk goose but after i reglued and trued it up it flew like a dart. I will say all heads flew true and were dead silent in flight

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2018, 08:53:13 PM »
Justin
Thanks for doing this test.   Very interesting results. 

Deno
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:59:25 PM by Deno »
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2018, 08:59:21 PM »
Yes its 190 grains without insert. Fair warning i do not know if all tuskers are like this or just my batch but the bevels we not even ground to the half way point of the blade thickness. I ordered the single bevel version and they appear to be the double bevel grind angle instead of 25° but only done on one side. I spent over an hour just getting one broadhead bevel done and sharpened vs 5 minutes with all the other heads

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©