3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Some musings on "Why do I hunt?"  (Read 1411 times)

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
Some musings on "Why do I hunt?"
« on: July 01, 2018, 02:45:20 AM »
Nearly 40 years ago I learnt that I am a hunter, I was born to hunt. Hunting is a fundamental part of who I am, it's mandatory.

But here's the kicker, the killing part is optional.

I once read somewhere “Unfortunately in todays society, all too often ego has replaced honour, and many are whores to it”.  Sad but true, and I see it all too often in the “Hunting” scene too. The success of too many hunts seems to be based whether anything was killed, or by the size of the bag, or the “score” of the animal.

Wasn’t it the late great Mr. Fred Bear who said “A downed animal is most certainly the object of any bow hunt, but it becomes an anticlimax when compared to the many other pleasures of the hunt”

To me hunting is not just about the kill; it’s about the entire experience, not just parts of it. It’s about the place, the vista, participating in the outdoors, in something bigger than myself. It’s about the history of bow hunting and the traditions of fair chase. It’s about all the highs and the lows of the days, and about the stalk and what happens during it. It’s about  being able to keep a positive attitude about the bug bites, the sore knees  from crawling and the unpleasantness of being wet and cold, or hot and exhausted. It’s about the sights, sounds and smells, the feeling of carrying a good bow, and enjoying your own company and the company of a mate or two who might also be there. It’s about going to sleep to the sounds of the bush night, and sleeping the sleep of one who is  weary yet utterly content, and waking up early, excited and hungry for what-ever experience the new day has in store.

Small game, big game or dangerous game, the physical measurements or score of the animal is immaterial. If fortunate enough to find, stalk and eventually take a “big” scoring animal, that would be an added bonus no doubt, but high scoring trophies are definitely not a priority. Getting in close to an “old” animal and having the animal unaware of my proximity ranks far higher than does the score, because to me, a "trophy" is simply one of the many memento’s of the hunt,  not the object of the hunt. Any mature game animal, taken fairly with my longbow is a worthy trophy in itself anyway.

What-ever other memento’s I may take home from the bush will bring back memories. Memories of the terrain and the way the breeze rippled through the bush, of the adrenalin rush with the first glimpse of the quarry, and of the heat of the sun on our backs as we closed in. It will bring back memories of seeing the animal up close, of the excitement of the stalk to get into a position where an arrow can be loosed. Memories of each stalk, whether game was taken or not, as there is no such a thing as an unsuccessful stalk. Memories of the flight of the arrow or arrows, and of the follow-up and tracking the blood trail. Memories of approaching the fallen animal and that strange combination of emotions, great joy tinged with genuine sadness, and sincere respect for the creature whose life I have just taken. Memories of the hand shaking in the field, the celebration around the campfire at night and the re-telling of the hunt, and memories of the wonderful individuals who shared an important part of this great adventure.

So, if I am blessed and do get to take an animal, I will take home so much more than just some meat or horns or a skin to lay on the floor. And if, for what-ever reason, I don’t make a kill, I’m more than okay with that. I have been at peace, spending time in the bush, and I am richer for it. What goes back home with me is way more than simply empty food containers and some dirty clothes.

The noted naturalist Aldo Leupold once penned something like this : “What was big was not the trout, but the chance; what was full was not my creel, but my memory”.

I think that sums it up returning home empty handed quite nicely.

Best
Lex

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:00:26 PM by A Lex »
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Some musings on "Why do I hunt?"
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 05:09:34 AM »
If my fealings for the hunt have ever been put to word i couldnt have said it myself. Too often the expiriences of the hunt are forgotten and the pursuit of the trophy and kill take over. Ive seen guys on the literal edge of insanity on the single goal to take one particular animal and the completely are blind to all else. I love my guns but besides my sidearm they collect dust as the beautiful moments of the hunt were often overlooked. I stopped gun hunting and went to hunting with a compound around 12 years ago. 3 years ago i noticed the hunt with my compound became harvesting, not hunting so i hung that up as well and moved onto traditional. Ive harvested small game with traditional gear but no deer so far, i will say though every hunt and every animal with traditional gear is completely engraved into my memory. From my first rabbit hunt with the bear super kodiak that didnt result in food for the table but rather a memorable session of roaving and shooting at fallen sycamore leaves on the hillside and discovery by shear luck the most used bedding area i have ever seen. To my first squirrel i harvested with my great northern i can still remember the tree it was in and my view as i aimed at him while my only thought was well this is goimg to be an expensive shot. My first deer i shot at with that very same bow as i watched in seemingly slow motion as the old doe ducked just under the passing arrow the memories are more vivid than any other hunting ive ever done. From those moments i instantly saw what i had been missing my entire life of hunting and knew there could be no other way i would ever hunt.
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 11:18:28 AM »
What a wonderful read and oh how true!
Never wait too long!

Online Hawk2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 01:40:06 PM »
So very true, and as I have gotten older(74) I feel the same. I just love being out there!! :thumbs up:

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 11:30:56 AM »
Wow. What a great read!  I agree with the sentiments expressed, and compliment the man who penned such a wonderful expose’ of the hunter.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »
Now that's a bulls eye right there!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 10:33:30 PM »
Certainly a good read. And I would assume most trad hunters would agree. I personally know a few hunters that are utterly disappointed when coming home empty handed and I’m thinking how sad. I’m 58 and have hunted every year since being a teen and can honestly say my best year ever was 2016 and I only shot one deer.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 11:05:27 PM »
I turn 50 at the end of this month. Have been hunting since I was 14 and believe it or not, I have yet to harvest my first deer. Those who have followed me on my hunts since joining this site 13yrs ago, know of my exploits. Now battling a life altering illness, I am just now returning after a 3yrs hiatus not knowing whether I'd get to hunt again or not. It has always been about the hunt for me, and my love for the adventure has not diminished one iota even though I have yet to fill a tag. I have however, filled many great memories in the log book of my mind! :bigsmyl:

Very well written sir! :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 02:19:37 AM »
Even non-hunters just assume since you are hunting that you'll score every time out.  Going back to work after a vacation that includes hunting I'm  inevitably asked did you get anything? If not ,  I would say but had a great time and  even though they don't have a clue about how enjoyable preparing for and experiencing a hunting trip can be I might add  didn't have to deal with the mess of success either which usually gets a strange look. Of course success is one of the goals and dealing with it is a positive part of the experience but it's not the only reason some of us enjoy hunting.

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 05:42:43 AM »
In many ways, hunting has always been a personal challenge.  I don't know why, but it seems I have always had the thought, "can I learn about, adapt to, and blend in with this 'new' environment enough to survive, and thrive, in it?"  From my first squirrel hunts as a kid, to backpacking deer hunts with my father, to simple day trips now after all these years, it has remained the same for me.  "What would / could you do if nothing else existed?  Could you survive?  Could you provide and care for others out here?"  Seems questions like those have had a place in my mind from the moment I enter the woods, for as long as I can remember.

I feel like that mental state has enriched my experiences over the more than 40 years that I've been hunting.  It keeps me keenly aware of the environment, and not just the target game.  It helps me appreciate the greatness and wonders of nature.  And it helps remind me that I am only one small piece of the great puzzle of life, with no guarantees of anything.  In a manner of speaking, my hunting adventures - or any similar activities - are a personal  'whetstone' for my mind and spirit.

And just as A Lex so well related, game that I retrieve is not the ultimate measure of success.  I am enriched in so many ways with every excursion.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 07:18:09 AM »
There is nothing better than watching the world ( our world not the one on CNN) wake up from my bow stand.  Maybe the ride out at daybreak first day of elk camp. How about the joy of passing our sport down to younger hunters, seeing the joy and anticipation in their eyes.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 12:48:16 AM »
Great post well said A Lex.   

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 01:08:04 AM »
My hunts are a success for just being in the woods with a bow in hand.....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©