3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black bear setup  (Read 4959 times)

Offline Ronald Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
Black bear setup
« on: July 03, 2018, 04:00:56 PM »
Headed for my first bear hunt with Stickflingers next May. For you guys that kill bears in past what was your bow and arrow setup? What kind of blood trail did have and how far you bear go? Did you get pass through and how far a shot? I know there will a lot of different setups always  :archer2:good to hear what works for others thanks.... Jeff

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black bear setup
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 05:27:27 PM »
I have been using 51# with a Simmons treeshark. The bear this year ran 30yards and piled up. Last years made it about 50.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 05:45:25 PM »
Of the two bears I have taken, one went 15 yards, and the other went about 50 and required an insurance shot. The 50 yarder left a very good blood trail, the 15 yarder died almost instantly and needed no follow up. I have lost one bear that I thought I made a great hit on, recovered a broken and bloody arrow, and never saw as much as one drop of blood out of him.
I use ASL bows in the 55 pound range and wood arrows with two blade heads.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 05:49:03 PM »
I've always liked a three blade for bears. I killed two with the same woodsman. With that said I've seen plenty killed with a two blade. The reason that I prefer a three blade is that there's a lot of fat and hair to clog and soak up blood. And I'm just more comfortable of a mind set that I'm using a three blade head. Bears aren't particularly tough, not like a whitetail. A well placed arrow with a sharp broad head will do the trick no matter what the poundage. For a two blade head I'd go wide like a Simmons, Zwicky or an Eclipse. A three blade I'd go with a woodsman, VPA or a snuffer if you can find some.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 06:47:19 PM »
I have hunted at Stickflingers twice, and was successful both times.  First time I used a 53# Blacktail recurve with a Sitka Spruce shaft and a 160 grain STOS two blade. I hit the bear thru both lungs and got a complete pass through. The bear went about fifty -sixty yards.

The second time I used a 48# Tall Tines recurve with a Surewood shaft and again a 160 grain Stos two blade, I had some  Zwickey Deltas along also.  This bear was much bigger, nearly 7 ft and I got a complete pass through.  This bear went maybe 40 yards.

If you hit them where you should, they don't go far.  Just ask Ryan about what you plan to use, he will give you good advice.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:15:58 PM by MnFn »
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 07:06:47 PM »
45# ILF , Ace standard head, carbon arrow 575gr. pass thru @ 7 yards. Bear was dead in 12 seconds.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 07:18:09 PM »
I was advised to practise for a 15 yard shot.  I think that is the usual distance at Stickflingers.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 08:06:46 PM »
I plan on spot and stalk, apparently around grand prairie Alberta according to my hunter host.

I am going to use magnus1, 2 blade heads. 58# border recurve. 630gr arrows
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 08:14:38 PM »
I took a #54 Zipper Zipstick and 2117 wearing a 200 grain grizzly instinct to Ryan's last year.  Bear went about 40 yards and left an incredible blood trail.  Arrow never even slowed down on the way through.  I see no reason not to shoot 3 blade broadheads at bear, and can't recommend the Grizzly Instinct enough.  I'll be back first week of June next year!

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 08:32:12 PM »
Is there much difference between spring and fall bears? I've skinned 5 spring bears and was surprised at how lightly built they are. I guess fall bears have a good fat layer?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 09:47:50 PM »
I've read fall bears generally run about 30 percent heavier, same bones though.  I'd not worry a bit anything over 40 lbs.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 11:19:16 PM »
Just heard that heavy fat layer is more prone to sealing up arrow holes and reducing blood trails?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 05:12:07 AM »
Having taken several bears in New England, the blood trails with a variety of heads have ranged from none to profuse.
A thing that's been helpful on 3 different occasions has been a compass. Took a bearing on the last sound heard and with no blood trail was able to walk the compass bearing and find the bear.
Have fun and good luck!
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 08:41:51 AM »
I used a 43# Silvertip recurve w cedar arrow an ACE 160 grain. 7 yd shot, penetration of about 10-11 in. I used a string tracker. I was disappointed in penetration but bear did death moan a minute after hit, Jerry Russell felt I probably nicked the heart. So location important. If it was lung area I might not have gotten both lungs, and I've heard one lung hits can be a recovery problem. My broadheads were sharp and my Shafer double carbon recurve should have given me better penetration. I suppose if I hit a bone .... bear only went 40-50 yds, so I can't complain. Just wish I knew why penetration not better.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 01:44:42 PM »
I hunted spring black bear for the first time this year as well.  I was shooting my Ogemaw from Two Tracks.  It's a reflex/deflex longbow.  55#'s @ 28".  I was shooting 3 Rivers carbon arrows, 9.1 gpi I believe, 400 spine.  Standard inserts with 200 grain single bevel broad heads.  My arrow setup is close to the 9 grains per pound that is often recommended.

My bear was shot on the his left side with the arrow entering between the last two ribs.  It was a quartering away shot which allowed the arrow to pass through the lung cavity and exit the right side.  The broad head was found lodged in the R front shoulder.  The arrow itself broke behind the insert and was recovered inside the chest cavity while field dressing.

The boar ran about 20 yards and I saw him drop.  I too took a compass reading and walked right to him after inspecting the direction of travel and not finding any blood.  He also did the death moan, however I like to try and learn and looked for blood regardless.  He was estimated to be 285 live weight.  My shot distance was maybe 12 yards too.

Hope this helps, happy hunting and have fun!

Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »
Bear are pretty easy to kill.  Thin ribs and hide.  I recommend a 3 blade head like a Woodsman.  It will leave a great blood trail if you hit him right.  Imagine a football suspended between the elbows and pop the ball.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »
Like what everyone else has said...It's all about arrow placement that kills.  This was my successful combo one year with complete pass through and a 20 yard death moan...tippit

Osage selfbow & stone point...

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Ronald Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 03:22:45 PM »
Hey Guys thanks for all great advice! Looking forward to the trip for sure. What I am shooting now is right there with most of you. From what I have seen on here of Stickflingers it’s going to be s great adventure!!! Up to me to put arrow where it needs to be!... good luck to you all this fall!!

Offline 76Aggie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 11:14:38 AM »
49 lb. Bob Lee with a Magnus 150 grain 2 blade.  A well hit bear does not travel too far in my experience.  I am no expert and have only taken two.  The first ran about 20 yards and the second about 50.  Listen closely after the shot and you may hear them fall, struggle, and emit the "death cry".  When you hear that, you know they are finished.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 08:32:26 AM »
As noted above, it’s all about shot placement , Bears have thin hides and are pretty easy to kill.  I’ve only killed with a 2 blade, zephyr Sasquatch and zwickey delta and the blood trails were sparse. I’d go with a good sharp 3 blade . The death moan is pretty creepy but does let ya know they are done.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©