3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many just pretend?  (Read 6563 times)

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How many just pretend?
« on: July 04, 2018, 01:09:45 PM »
It just struck me this morning that as much as we want to tell everyone we are "traditional " hunters, most of us are likely just pretending.
We shoot the highest tech composite bows, many carved out by CNC machines;

Our arrows are the highest tech, computer balanced, carbon fiber, nearly indestructible shafts;

Many of the broadheads are costing crazy high prices and they are machined from high tech alloy steel;

Many are carrying the most expensive high tech optics and laser range finders they can find;

Most are hunting out of tree stands that have taken a team of engineers to design;

Many are putting out high tech cameras to pattern our quarry, some even sending pictures back to our computers to tell us all the details;  There is no doubt what so ever some guys are using the latest drone technology to do the same thing.

Those with enough money are buying tractors and machinery to plant tasty crops to ensure we'll maximize the likelihood the biggest and best deer will grow and frequent our little bit of heaven;

What say you?    :campfire:

"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many just pretend?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 01:16:57 PM »
Dang, I am getting old and a bit out of shape...so could I get a Diet Pepsi with just a little butter on my popcorn?
Lon Scott

Offline Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 01:19:24 PM »
Depends upon your definition of traditional.  If by traditional you mean a basic stick that is bent by a single string attached at the two ends of the stick and used to propel an arrow, then the materials making up a traditional bow matter not at all. I mean the composite bow has been around a couple thousand years. Varios materials have been used to make longbows and recurves for many thousands of years in varying designs. So, I don't think today's traditional bowhunter is pretending at all!

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »
Dang, I am getting old and a bit out of shape...so could I get a Diet Pepsi with just a little butter on my popcorn?
:laughing:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 01:50:29 PM »
I've been shooting sticks for more than 60 years.  Most of the things you mention weren't around when I started, and I use few of them now.

But, the world has changed. Technology now permeates every aspect of our lives.  I wouldn't call folks who use the technology and practices you mention pretenders. They just haven't yet learned what they're missing.  :goldtooth: 

I dunno.  I suppose this topic is worth discussing, but we seem to make little progress in furthering understanding or agreement, which would provide the basis for generally accepted norms.   

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 01:56:17 PM »
I'm a modern bowhunter who happens to shoot a traditional bow. Never claimed to be otherwise.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 02:20:38 PM »
We could all do ourselves a favor by recognizing the (recent) origins of the term "traditional" and realizing that it's just a label used to distinguish "trad" gear from wheel bows.

Trying to draw further and finer distinctions just boils down to egotistical hair splitting until we have arrived at hundreds of highly personalized definitions that are each shared by a tiny mutual admiration society and ridiculed from without by the hundreds of thousands who don't "belong".

Carbon? Wood? Gore Tex? Wool?  Let's all just get over it.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 02:33:26 PM »
I feel "traditional" because I shoot a bow without wheels,sights and no release devices. I shoot wood arrows when hunting and carbon when 3D shooting is involved. Tree stands don't matter as far as I'm concerned, mostly I feel like doing what I like ,hunting by the laws of the land and treating all animals I hunt with respect. I don't feel like categorizing my great sport.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 02:37:03 PM »
I see no good use for this thread as others like it in the past.

I thought about removing it myself.

But I decided to pass it up the line and see what others higher up the chain of command think.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »
I enjoy shooting/hunting with modern traditional equipment and selfbows.  I don't really question what is in my hand.  I just enjoy the arrow flight.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:06:46 PM by tippit »
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Michael K Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 02:58:36 PM »
🍿

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 03:02:48 PM »
Traditional has a different meaning for different people.  For me, traditional means a bow and arrow with no mechanical advantage that you could put down in front of a caveman and he would understand how to use without having to explain it to him.  For example, I think you would have to explain sights to him, so that wouldn’t qualify.  Other than that, it could be made out of modern materials and still satisfy that definition.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 03:12:29 PM »
Don't get me wrong gentlemen, and perhaps the choice of wording was poor on my part.  "Pretend" may not be correct,  but I too have been at this for over 50 years, and do find myself questioning all the advancements I've sometimes embraced.

The equipment, or the lack of it, and the techniques used seemed to work just as well for me when I first got into this game.  As has been mentioned, many just don't know what their missing by not stepping back a bit and relying on a little less technology.

Not trying to pee in anyone's pocket, just reflecting a bit is  all.   :coffee:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 03:16:12 PM »
"traditional bowhunting" or "traditional archer" means whatever you think it means.

however ....

if you think that the weapon itself specifically means creating yer own hand drawn bow, string and arrows all by yerself, out of trees and hemp, and reed shoots, and bird feathers, and sinew, and pitch tar, and flint stone, and yadda yadda yadda - no, really, that's beyond silly.

if you think that the act of hunting with yer traditional bow should not include added "gadgets and gimmicks" or "hunting enhancements" that might "speed up" or "make easier" the hunt process, that is a personal call because with or without those "aids" you've still got to draw, hold and release to make the kill.  maybe with gadgets yer gonna attempt or make that kill sooner than later - so what?  this is just a personal call.

none of the above is a "pretend" thing, because in the final analysis, it's still up to the person drawing string on a critter, with what we've always defined as a traditional bow who's format could be carved outta wood or laid up carbon fiber, don't matter.

no matter what, if you think that hunting a "zoo" (high fence) venue is ok, no it's not, that's closer to shootin fish in a barrel and is not about traditional bowhunting (nor allowed here at trad gang).

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 03:19:53 PM »
I don't do labels, but I make my own bows, fletch my arrows and all that. I did hire a weld shop to make my own design of tree stands.

Guess I shoulda went out on a limb on the stands...  :goldtooth:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 03:48:38 PM »

when I was a kid, prior to the advent of the compound bows, it was simply archery and a bow was simply a bow. After the prominence of compounds was established, I started hearing non compound bows referred to as "traditional" bows. This difference in bow technology is what seems to have started the whole "traditional" archery concept. That distinction is both my starting point and my end point in the discussion of what is traditional archery. True, I shoot only wooden arrows now, because they just seem to fit well with my Hill style long bow. Arguing that this is more traditional or that is less traditional may start many debates but will change no minds. Why bother?
Sam

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 03:53:56 PM »

when I was a kid, prior to the advent of the compound bows, it was simply archery and a bow was simply a bow. After the prominence of compounds was established, I started hearing non compound bows referred to as "traditional" bows. This difference in bow technology is what seems to have started the whole "traditional" archery concept. That distinction is both my starting point and my end point in the discussion of what is traditional archery. True, I shoot only wooden arrows now, because they just seem to fit well with my Hill style long bow. Arguing that this is more traditional or that is less traditional may start many debates but will change no minds. Why bother?

that is a perfect post on this topic matter, sir.   :clapper:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline IndioArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 03:58:12 PM »
We could all do ourselves a favor by recognizing the (recent) origins of the term "traditional" and realizing that it's just a label used to distinguish "trad" gear from wheel bows.

Trying to draw further and finer distinctions just boils down to egotistical hair splitting until we have arrived at hundreds of highly personalized definitions that are each shared by a tiny mutual admiration society and ridiculed from without by the hundreds of thousands who don't "belong".

Carbon? Wood? Gore Tex? Wool?  Let's all just get over it.
Well said Monterrey!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »
Not that I'd care what anybody thought if I wanted to do any of those as long as they were legal, but the only one on your list I still do consistently is use a treestand.  The reason for that is because I hunt in the Blue Ridge Mountains where the only thing predictable about the wind is that it will be fickle and swirl, eddy and change direction about every thirty minutes.  When I can't climb anymore I'll just stay on the ground and spook 'em I guess.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 04:47:21 PM »
BAK, I understand what you are saying, I've thought about it many times myself! I have come to the conclusion than we are all hunters and small in numbers, wether we use an AR 15 or and atlal we are in this together. I don't use a compound or a cross bow but it's not my choice of what others use. I know I have to ask myself when I see a new gadget that I think I need, do I really need this, will it take away from my enjoyment of the hunt? I do know as I get older the kill is not as important as the journey!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©