3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many just pretend?  (Read 6564 times)

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many just pretend?
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 05:19:42 PM »

when I was a kid, prior to the advent of the compound bows, it was simply archery and a bow was simply a bow. After the prominence of compounds was established, I started hearing non compound bows referred to as "traditional" bows. This difference in bow technology is what seems to have started the whole "traditional" archery concept. That distinction is both my starting point and my end point in the discussion of what is traditional archery. True, I shoot only wooden arrows now, because they just seem to fit well with my Hill style long bow. Arguing that this is more traditional or that is less traditional may start many debates but will change no minds. Why bother?

Yep, what he said...  :thumbsup:

Bisch

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 05:54:20 PM »
It never makes sense to me why folks continuously want to stir this pot. Do what makes you have fun and be happy, and let the next guy do the same.

And yes, I use a lot of the stuff you mentioned, and I am still a traditional bowhunter because I hunt with a longbow, or recurve, or selfbow. Like stated above, the term traditional has nothing to do with tradition. It is only a term that was coined by someone after the invention of the compound to distinguish us from them.

Bisch

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 07:11:42 PM »
Can’t be a traditional bow really  if it was made yesterday but traditional archery it is even if your equipment wasn’t made by sitting Bull. Call it a replica of a traditional bow, it’s still traditional archery imo until you start adding things like sights, stabilizers, rests. That’s only my opinion and who really cares.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »
i saw a quote somewhere that went something like this “I am not traditional I am just a guy that shoots a recurve bow”. That pretty much sums it up for me except I shoot a LB as well. Some will say it’s a way of life, some say equipment or a combination of both. I think “Traditional “ means what you want it to mean.

Offline Lakerat007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 09:59:39 PM »
I shoot what if fun for me. If it's a recurve in the morning and longbow in the evening. I chose on what I feel like. I care not about labels or what others think. I run cameras religiously cause it's fun for me. If a time comes when it takes away from my personal satisfaction I will stop. Until then I'm in pursuit of happiness wether that makes me traditional, modern or wanna be I don't give a hoot. I love it. :archer2:
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

pavan

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 01:16:37 AM »
I think public land should be leave no trace use, what you take in you take out.  After that as long as hunters are considerate legal and safe, I don't care.  Three things I do know, squirrels, mice and rats love popcorn and corn syrup sodas feed ants and diet sodas kill ants.   

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 01:23:47 AM »
I love to watch an arrow fly. No pretending there. Its a very special thing and feeling that I do not attempt to tear apart or nalyze too deeply. It seems to me over the years that the more traditional I get the more I enjoy the entire process. I do build some fancy , modern glass and wood bows of every design but my main satisfaction is crafting a great yew or sage bow, cutting and making my own arrows and heads and st rings and then successfuly using them.
I make no judgments of what others do or their motivation. They all hunt the same woods and same animals , smell the same smells and see the same beauty. We are all brothers of the bow in those respects and we all travel  the same paths in different ways, levels and goals.
God bless, Steve

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 06:56:22 AM »
If I was to be true traditional in my culture it would be a sort of double recurve (as the javaman thanjavur bow) or a nock less bamboo bow with a bamboo "bowstring" ( in essence a piece of split bamboo tied to the bow with hemp).

That said I have seen all steel recurves in museums and sadly we lost our traditions regarding archery. If I am to follow my traditional texts then I can make a bowstring out of calf gut , not happening in my country today due to dilution of tradition and arbitrary takes on morality.

So I use what I can , if carbon and micarta give me better heat and water tolerance - I will take it. If a carbon tunes with whatever I can get fabricated or imported I will take that too.

I am still to become a bowhunter , but am working towards that slowly and surely. Had tradition been alive I would have already been one ,way back!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:45:54 AM by acedoc »
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 07:07:11 AM »
To draw a hard and specific line on equipment, hunting techniques, bow type, etc. is going to do nothing but divide us as bowhunters.

There are some issues that I find objectionable.  For me it is the guys that insist on shooting a bow draw weight as light as possible rather than work on shooting a heavier bow.  Same for baiting.
But so long as they remain legal..... then my objections remain only a matter of my own personal choices.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2018, 08:56:31 AM »
I shoot an osage selfbow but don't consider myself a primitive shooter or hunter, to me a trad shooter is someone who doesn't shoot wheels, sights or a release, everything else fits the bill for me to be a trad shooter.

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2018, 09:47:54 AM »
DISCLAIMER: I did not read every post so this may have evolved way past the original discussion. But here is my take, the definition of "traditional" doesn't put a specific time frame on it so wheelie bows can be considered traditional by some people today simply based on the amount of time they have been around.

tra·di·tion·al
trəˈdiSH(ə)n(ə)l/Submit
adjective
existing in or as part of a tradition; long-established.
"the traditional festivities of the church year"
synonyms:   long-established, customary, time-honored, established, classic, accustomed, standard, regular, normal, conventional, usual, orthodox, habitual, set, fixed, routine, ritual; More
produced, done, or used in accordance with tradition.
"a traditional fish soup"
habitually done, used, or found.
"the traditional drinks in the clubhouse"

Skeater who?

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2018, 11:18:57 AM »
I shoot a longbow because I like it. I’m going to ditch my carbon arrows and go to wood in November. Some days I’m in a tree sometimes I’m on the ground. I dont watch hunting shows nor will I ever put a buck on a buck pole. I feel what I do in the woods is between me and the deer or elk. I don’t use any electronics for archery or golf by my own choosing. I want the best of my opponent and I want to do the same for him. My bird dog doesn’t like guys that don’t shoot O/U or SxS. I’m getting older a 20 or 28 ga auto is starting to look tempting.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2018, 01:17:52 PM »
I started shooting a bow in the very early 70's. before compounds. Some used elevated rests, sights and rope releases. Can't remember about stabilizers. We used rubber silencers shaped in a triangle. Didn't see any "traditional" silencers, you know,  beaver, wool puff or spider legs till a lot later on. I do remember seeing the cover of a Bow and Arrow magazine that  had a pic of this guy shooting a recurve with an overdraw.

Myself, I don't care what you shoot as long as it's legal. None of my business. I would expect the same of the next fella.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »
I pretend I can shoot good most of the time :biglaugh:

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2018, 02:00:51 PM »
I pretend I can shoot good most of the time :biglaugh:
^^^ This! :laughing:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2018, 04:27:28 PM »
Thank You Sam McMichael. Spot on sir !

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2018, 04:30:12 PM »
I don't know.  :dunno:

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2018, 05:01:33 PM »
Unless you're shooting a selfbow and wood arrows that have self nocks etc etc, you're just trying to pick the fly poop out of the pepper! I use the best equipment I can that does the job I need it to do!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2018, 05:12:11 PM »
I use glass backed bows,no carbon or modern heads,a back quiver holds my arrows,a leather glove is on my shooting hand,no sight or rest on my bows,and I hunt from the ground. I don't own a GPS, just a compass and a map. Don't use an ATV because they have no place in the woods I use to hunt.
Revelation 3:20

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2018, 05:14:15 PM »
It's funny that sights keep showing up as trad disqualifying even though that is historically used on laminated recurves.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©