3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado OTC units  (Read 2066 times)

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Colorado OTC units
« on: July 04, 2018, 06:24:46 PM »
I didn't draw again this year and plan another OTC hunt. I have been disappointed with the way the units I've been hunting (79-80) have gone. The ATV's have made it pretty much a bummer.  It once was a little piece of heaven and now it's hard to get away from the  ATV hunters or rec riders. Just looking for a new area that isn't an ATV area where you can pack in a few miles and get away from everything and get into a few elk and good timber. Not looking for anyones honey hole but a general area or unit that some of you are familiar with that is a wilderness area. It's hard to get a feel for an area not being able to have feet on the ground. Looking at 751 as a possibility as of now. If you do have some info and don't want to make it public info just PM me.  Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks, John
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:48:18 PM by bucknut »
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado OTC units
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 09:24:54 AM »
Good Luck. We had a honey hole on BLM land for 20 some years in 42, but the side by side speed racer crowd found it in 14 and compeltely ruined it for everybody (them and the bull moose that moved in and bullied what was left).  55 is draw and has 3 portions that are wilderness (no wheels or motors), too late for this year but I believe it is a 0 point draw. 54 might be same.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 10:52:38 AM »
Here’s my 2 cents...use maps, technology like google earth, and an updated gps detailed map they you pay extra for,  and get out there and be mobile.  It sucks but you’ll have to burn a little boot leather to see how your planning pays off. I’ve run into strange things before all the tech was available like a road ending in someone’s garage where it should have gone into public land, private land cutting off what looked like access, areas where there are no animals, and areas where ATV’s are necessary to get into the animals. The updated GPS software and area maps are  a HUGE help for showing trails and what can go where..I basically start looking at elevations and then access and plan to see animals about.5 to 1 mile and farther back, where there are NO ATV trails within reason.  Basically I start by looking where ATV’s can’t go and work from there..CO has Good numbers of elk, It usually warm and sign isn’t always apparent, so hunting early and late are key, even though it’s a pain to be out so early and late without a plan. There aren’t many areas I have been through that don’t hold elk, but that’s the hunting part.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:08:50 AM »
Overspined, that sounds all good and well but I've been going out there every other year for quite some time and have seen it in just a 2 year span have trails that weren't marked on maps and ATV's going right thru the heart of some of the best elk areas you could ask for.  And I'm not against ATV's, it's just the way they are being used. It used to be people just used them to get game out or to get you into remote country. Now people are riding right into the timber to hunt and the number of rec riders are unbelievable. I'm still in pretty good shape and usually average 10-15 miles per day so boot leather is not the issue. But it really pisses you off when you have humped back in to get away from the crowds to find out a new trail is now going right where you are hunting. I have plenty of maps and GPS and I know how to kill elk I'm just looking at different areas where you have less issues with the ATV crowd. I just looked at the archery 2017 stats for archery in unit 79 .  Success rate was 0% so it apparently isn't just me. I'm looking at 80 for more remote locations, the rate was 13% there. Haven't hunted it for years but I am at least familiar with it.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 10:20:29 AM »
If you want less atvs hunt a wilderness area, there you will only have hikers, backpackers and outfitters to deal with. If you believe those stats, don’t. Stating in the survey that you are successful in an otc unit is a bad as posting on a forum that you have a good otc unit. People see higher success rates and that is where they go and you will see the increase in pressure. So most people aren’t honest with the surveys. Your best bet is to find an area on your own and don’t blab too much about it.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 08:40:21 AM »
I noticed the mountains looked liked Christmas trees at night 10 to 15 years ago.  Sad what its become.  Weve had guys ride right into our camp and asked to park.  No!  They wanted to walk around scouting for rifle season!!

Try Unit 140.  Its bowhunting only.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 03:40:20 PM »
I wasn’t insinuating you weren’t willing to get after it..yeah at the end of the day I won’t hunt within a mile of an ATV accessible area. I hunt wilderness no ATV allowed. I actually hate 4 wheelers.

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 06:42:01 PM »
John there's no doubt you can kill elk. Just call if you need help packing them out.   :goldtooth: :biglaugh:
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 10:32:32 PM »
Mikey that packers job can be a rough gig, but I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. I packed out 2 for guys last year. one of them was a 20 mile day. Hopefully my packers will have some work this year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©