3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Browning Cobra - Fast Flight?  (Read 2473 times)

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Browning Cobra - Fast Flight?
« on: July 20, 2018, 01:54:11 PM »
I picked up a used Browning Cobra recurve online.  It's AMO 50" long, 47#@28" but it could use a better string.  Anybody know if this bow is compatible with fast flight strings or any other material besides B-50?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Browning Cobra - Fast Flight?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »
B-55 is a little better, but still safe.  Some people get away with HMPE materials on old bows, some don't.  Some people hunt from stands without a harness and never fall...some don't. 

The over-all condition of the bow, your draw length, arrow weight, string construction...these are some of the variables to consider.  Unless you want to risk it, I'd go with B-55.

pavan

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 04:27:26 PM »
I had a Browning Cobra, 50" 49 pounds.  Pretty little bow and comfortable to shoot, but it was a bit of banger.  I made a 15 strand three skein flemish B 50 with minimal twists and it settled down some.  I would have been very tempted to put a Chad string on it, if such a thing would have been available at the time.   The thing about Chad's strings is all they need when they come is to put the provided string nock on and they are good to go.  I often wonder what the next step that would give that stability of a BCY with some of the spring for safety of the B55.  I have a friend that has been shooting an ancient Ward's Pearson recurve, found in a garbage bin, that I completely reworked and reduced that has no bow tip nock reinforcements.  If I would have known that he was going to put a padded modern string on it, I would have added them when I overhauled that piece of junk.  He claims it is the best shooting recurve that he has ever shot and the BCY just makes it that much better.   All of these years and a number of deer taken and the bow is still going strong with no damage.  His draw length is 27", maybe that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:00:13 PM by pavan »

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 05:27:22 PM »
My Cobra has a B-55 Dacron string on it. F.F. has a better feel, and I use it on all my newer bows, but I just won't risk it on the older ones.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 05:51:43 PM »
I bought one new in 1973 and I believe it had twolaminations of fibreglass on the tips,one white,one black ,if it’s got those I wouldn’t hesitate at all to use a padded fast flight string.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 05:57:57 PM »
B-55 is a little better, but still safe.  Some people get away with HMPE materials on old bows, some don't.  Some people hunt from stands without a harness and never fall...some don't. 

The over-all condition of the bow, your draw length, arrow weight, string construction...these are some of the variables to consider.  Unless you want to risk it, I'd go with B-55.

DITTO on what Chad said !!!
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 11:19:51 PM »
I use B-50 on mine (a Cobra II).  Endless loop.  On all my old Brownings, in fact.

You'll never know till you try . . . and it fails or not.  But if it does then it's over.  :dunno: 
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 08:45:22 AM »
Just pad the loops and you should be A-OK........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©