3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do as I say, not as I do  (Read 3027 times)

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Do as I say, not as I do
« on: July 21, 2018, 02:28:45 PM »
Sometimes you make a decision and live with the consequences, and last night was one of those nights.

I have been working pretty crazy hours, and on top of that we are in the middle of a pretty hot spell, so I haven't been able to keep on top of the hogs as much as I usually do.  It was 109 degrees yesterday, but after I got home from work and put the chickens up and gave the cows, horse and chickens fresh water, it was getting dark, and had cooled off to 95 degrees by 9 o'clock, so I decided to head out to wait for some hogs to show up.

I was sitting by a feeder that they have been showing up at for a few days, and there is a green feeder light that puts a very gentle beam of green light around the feeder.  So gentle, in fact, that it is pretty difficult to see the hogs unless they are directly under the light.  In any case, I had no idea what direction the hogs would come from, because there were two hogs running together, and then a separate larger sounder showing up later.

I have been busted before with them coming to the feeder on a path directly behind my tripod through a woodlot, and tonight was not exception for the chosen path.  Furtunately  I had done some trimming of brush so that  I could potentially swivel and have a shot, but there still were small trees remaining.  Anyway, just before 10 pm, they showed up but were very close before I could hear them, due to the frogs and crickets making so much noise.

I swiveled on them and came to full draw with my Stickfliner that is aorund 65#@29.5", even though I didn't know exactly where the hogs were.  A few more steps, and they would hit my scent, and I knew that .  I pressed on the pressure swithch and my bow mounted green light lit up the two hogs.  One was still fully in cover, and the other had stopped in the only place where the vitals were covered by a small tree, with only the front of the shoulder, the neck, and head sticking out, and slightly quartering to me.

Here is where the decision comes in.  The hog was probably 7 yards away, and probably would bolt at any second.  I probably should have passed, but felt I had a very narrow window to get a portion of the lungs.  I made a split second decsion to take the shot.

This is the first hog that I have shot with a bow mounted light, and after the shot I lost pressure on the pressure switch and the light went off, so I couldn't see the arrow after the release.  All I heard was a loud crack, a squeal, the other hog taking off, and the hog that I hit making noise in the brush not far from where I shot it.  I waited around 30 minutes, and after things settled down, I shined a light down to where the hog was standing and saw nothing.  I got down and searched the ground.  Not surprisingly, there was no blood, and no sign of my arrow.  It is like a jungle in there, and I looked around, looking where I thought I heard the hog, but to no avail.  I sat on stand for a couple more hours before heading home.

I was pretty much thinking the worst, and had visions of the hog sneaking off with my arrow lodged in it's jaw or something, and with how hot it was even if it did eventually die, the meat was likely no good.  I woke up this morning, took care of animals, watered the garden, and headed out to fill feeders.  After filling feeders I went back for another look.  Hoping to find my arrow or see buzzards to let me know what was going on. 

Still no blood and no sign of the arrow, but much easier to see around.  After a few moment of looking in the small woodlot I was a small log that didn't look right, only 10 yards from where I had shot the hog, but not where I thought I had heard the noise after the shot.  Yep.  It was the hog, and the arrow had taken the only path that would have been succesful.  It had angled through the neck, broke the scapula, gone through the ribs and the top of the lungs, exited the offside ribs, and penetrated into the meat of the offside leg.  The arrow had backed out into the chest cavity, and the majority of the arrow had broken where the hog fell onto it and was laying next to the hog.  I dug the broadhead out, and was pretty happy that I could use it again, but after I washed it off I noticed that it had broken off at the threads somehow.  Oh well, it did it's job.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do as I say, not as I do
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 02:46:11 PM »
I should say that based on the amount of hemorrhage along the arrow path, that the quick death was probably the result of hitting big blood vessels at, or near, the thoracic inlet.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 02:47:35 PM »
Congrats Pat! You sir are a hog Killin machine!!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 03:30:04 PM »
Congrats and glad he didn't get away! That broadhead sure did make a mess in there! :biglaugh: :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 03:35:06 PM »
My man pat hes always put getting it done!! Nicework brother! :clapper:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 03:51:22 PM »
Great job Pat!
I usually have the problem of the lights pressure switch releasing before the shot,
Grrrr!!
Never wait too long!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 04:19:52 PM »
 :clapper: :clapper:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Bisch

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 10:23:32 PM »
I’ve shot a boatload of pigs with a bow mounted light. It’s the nature of the beast; when you release, the light goes out.

Congrats on another pig!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 02:52:19 AM »
Well done Pat, impressive work for that bh., how much the point weighs?
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »
It was a 175 grain brooadhead, with a 75 grain insert/outsert.

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 02:11:18 PM »
Congrats Pat!
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 03:49:56 PM »
Dang Pat. For as many hogs as you kill you should start a annual Pig cookout for TG. Nice shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 07:32:29 PM »
I shot two hogs and a javelina with those broadheads and all three broke just like that one !

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 10:15:28 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Tim, that is interesting to hear.  I have killed alot of animals with VPA heads, and this is a first for me.  I wonder if there was a bad batch?  Blades were still sharp.

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 09:51:28 AM »
The heads I found were dull as a butter knife and inside the hogs the other I never found, just the threaded part broke off in the shaft .
  By the way nice hog  !!

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 11:02:12 PM »
Thanks.

So strange. I know guys that have shot close to 15 critters with the same vpa head with no problem.  I will keep using them for now.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 08:35:57 AM »
Maybe change to a Titanium threaded insert, I've thought about it, but haven't done it yet.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 12:55:34 PM »
Maybe change to a Titanium threaded insert, I've thought about it, but haven't done it yet.

It was a one piece broadhead, David.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2018, 04:45:19 PM »

It was a one piece broadhead, David.

Yea, I saw that, VPA makes a 160 and 190 glue on that could be matched with a titanium threaded insert or if a weight match in titanium wasn't possible something in 416 stainless will be stronger. I use the glue-ons with a stainless adaptor and eliminate the threads.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »
Roughly the same angle last night on a small sow.  She was 5 yards away, but steeply quartering toward me.  One of her piglets had almost bumpedbbn into me and she picked her head to look at me.  After the shot, she hit the ground, flopped around 5 yards away from herniand initial spot, gurgled for around 30 seconds, and that was it.  I was using a Van Dieman 2 blade broadhead this time, and it held together and made a nasty exit wound on the offside shoulder.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©