3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sleaved and footed arrows  (Read 271 times)

Offline Hoytman

• Trad Bowhunter
sleaved and footed arrows
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »
I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever tried sleaving or footing an arrow by putting shaft material OVER the the arrow shaft instead of inside. Then using a larger dia. tip to flush up the front where the point meets the shaft. This  results in a overall smaller diameter, which I think helps on penetration and wind drift. Just curious. I have made a couple, and just wondering if anyone else had.
" without humor, nothing would seem funny."

Online Bowsey Wails

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Timmy P
Re: sleaved and footed arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
How do you get an overall smaller diameter when you put shaft material OVER the arrowshaft?
Tim
"I use no device to direct my arrow towards its mark, save my eyes and my will." Anthony Camera, aka Viper.
I'm not old school, I'm one room school house.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
huh?
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Hoytman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowsey Wails:
How do you get an overall smaller diameter when you put shaft material OVER the arrowshaft?
Tim
I'm not talking about fully sleeved. Just a short piece. As in extra front weight, or as a stumper to keep from driving the insert in the arrow.
I tried it years ago by putting a 6" piece of aluminum of a few carbon shafts to make them easier to remove from the old 3-d targets.
" without humor, nothing would seem funny."

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what you mean about smaller shaft, but I foot all my carbons with aluminum. Keeps them from mushrooming at the point, and makes them about bullet-proof. I use an inch section at the point, and 1/4" to 3/8" at the nock end. 2216's work for my Carbon Express, and 2413's work at the point on Arrow Dynamics Trad's. 2117 works on the nock end of the AD's. I just got a few 2512's that work fine on 23/64 wood shafts. I'll use two-inch footings for them. I saved a CE recently from a Robinhood. The aluminum section split and the shaft did also, but just a little. The aluminum sleeve kept the arrow point from going too far down the shaft to save. A new aluminum epoxied back-on and the arrow is fine again. I use 1 hour set epoxy to secure the footings. Angle the edges of the sleeves with a file or wet-stone to make them easier to pull from targets. Just got a dozen of the AD Trad's Woodgrain I'll be doing this evening. I love building and tinkering with my arrows and gear.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©