3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wooden arrows questions  (Read 5192 times)

Offline HartHeart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wooden arrows questions
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 11:24:06 PM »
Where can sitka spruce shafts be found?
Ruler of Peace

Custom Shrew Classic Hunter II 48#@28"

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 11:28:57 PM »
i dont know if one is allowed to post links to businesses that are not sponsors on here?
i really dont want to tread on people's toes.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 08:38:59 AM »
Raptor Archery normally has spruce shafts; might want to check with Ted though to see when he's going to be away from the shop for a while, if you order.

Fujimo, I think posting non-sponsor links is a bit of a grey area, good idea that you're checking. Someone else can answer more definitively. Meanwhile, I remember coming across a post here mentioning a place in B.C. - may have been Vancouver Arrows, or Vancouver Archery. I'd like to know myself, as I sometimes use spruce and Hildebrand is no longer available.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »
I would shoot cedar if I knew of a good source, each time I buy 100, I am disappointed. So I shoot Surewooid Shafts and am never dissappointed.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 07:28:40 PM »
yup Ted at Raptor sells the sitka spruce, as well as Doug fir and cedar.
great guy to deal with, but hes busy dealing with bush fires right now- so may have to leave a message or email him.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2018, 10:50:26 PM »
I've been shooting woods since the early 80's.  Shot POC for quite a while as it was the norm and shoots quite well.  Spent a while with ramin trying to get more arrow weight and found it it shoot well and it was much more durable.  I tried Douglas Fir and for me it is the best shooting of the arrow woods.  Snappy recovery with a wide weight range and good durability.  Sitka Spruce is pretty good, too and quite tough as well.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2018, 01:36:32 AM »
next trick of course, is to find some old Sweetland forgewoods!
he made shafts in #100 spine in 5/16 diameter :scared:

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 05:53:08 AM »
11/32 or 23/64 Parallels its cedars for me,,, if I want tapered or barreled I go for douglas furs.   I stocked up with Hildebrand shafts not sure if they still sell them..  Ted fry I'm sure has some quality shafts too.
"Us vs Them"

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 08:39:56 AM »
I like POC and Spruce, but have been getting into some bamboo shafts and really liking them for several reasons.  Experiment and enjoy the ride!

Macatawa

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 08:04:34 PM »
i dont know if one is allowed to post links to businesses that are not sponsors on here?
i really dont want to tread on people's toes.

As y'all suspected...and many of you know, links to non-sponsor sites are not allowed.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 11:42:41 PM »
I like POC and Spruce, but have been getting into some bamboo shafts and really liking them for several reasons.  Experiment and enjoy the ride!
i have yet to tinker with bamboo. How exactly do you go about attaching points and nocks
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 07:04:27 AM »
Taper and glue. Just like wood. Works for me. Cut arrows from the nock end like carbons. Naturally tapered.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 11:29:43 AM »
Where do you get your bamboo from and how do they normally spine out
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2018, 12:41:30 PM »
PM sent.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 08:06:23 PM »
I know that pine is sometimes used as a shaft material. What varieties of pine make suitable arrows> Also, how does it compare to POC?
Sam

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2018, 10:56:53 PM »
lodgepole pine or shore pine, has been used very successfully. its commonly known as "Chundoo".

it has a very high resin content and plays heck with sanders and sanding belts, so if you plan to put a long tail taper on them, the paper will gum up quick- i have tried it :)
but they have a beautiful polish and sheen to them, due to the resin, and are a tough shaft, i would say about the same mass as POC.
Personally, i would say, tougher than POC, but thats subjective i guess :laugh:
like POC, they come from a smaller tree, ( unlike the Sitka spruce and the Douglas fir - that are typically larger trees)and so there is less clear wood on the log, so the arrows grain can be a bit more squiggly, but to no detriment to the shaft. they are tough!!
they do better with solvent-based stains, than water-based, once again due to the high resin content

the name chundoo is from the Carrier people up here in BC. It's their name for the lodgepole pine tree.
it came about when a good friend of mine - Sam Moore was making LP pine shafts many many years ago, and selling them, and someone started up in competition but their quality was way inferior , but they produced volumes and flooded the market, very quickly the pine was developing a bad name, so he changed his brand name to "chundoo" and the rest is history- so they say!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©