3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Speed vs. energy - Which to favor?  (Read 7089 times)

Offline Pmringer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Speed vs. energy - Which to favor?
« on: July 30, 2018, 10:10:42 AM »
I have been experimenting with some different arrow setups.  Both configurations tune well to the bow and both use 200 gn Bone broadheads.  I have not been able to chrono them but there is a noticeable speed difference and point on difference, however both have a predictable flight and can be shot accurately.

One setup has a total arrow weight of around 550 gn and the other is around 635 gn.  The lighter setup has a slightly higher FOC%.  Both are shot from a bow that draws approximately 54 lbs at my draw length.  Both configurations tested at typical hunting ranges and even out to 35-40 yards on 3D to compare performance. 

The question is, with the primary purpose of hunting with shots under 30 yards is a slower arrow with more mass and energy ideal or is a faster arrow that may not have the smack of a heaver setup ideal in everyone's opinion?  I know there is no right answer but I am more curious of opinions on the matter.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:28:33 PM by Pmringer »

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Speed vs. energy - Which to favor?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 12:33:18 PM »
My personal preference is a heavier arrow up to a point. Momentum is the name of the game in our world. But I shoot 99% of my critters at 20 yards and under. Speed is of very little concern to me . I want a efficient bow that will provide momentum with a heavy arrow . Think of the old ping pong ball vs golf ball analogy, with that said your lighter arrow is still over 10gpp which is a good area to be in
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Pmringer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 12:39:30 PM »
I agree.  I prefer it have some force when it gets to the target rather than get it to the target fast but out of steam.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 01:33:18 PM »
i like arrows around 10-11 gpp.  for whitetails the 550 is enough in my opinion. I would like to at this point acknowledge Nathan Andersohn. in a recent podcast he was on he was talking about his super slam and the weight arrows he shoots on ALL game. what he says might surprise most folks, but you absolutely cannot question his success.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 01:35:27 PM »
For hunting I’ve found my best penetration/performance is 9-10 GPP.  That’s for my bows in the high 30s to the mid 50s.  On a side note, I used those heads last year.  Great Broadhead.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline Pmringer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 01:36:56 PM »
i like arrows around 10-11 gpp.  for whitetails the 550 is enough in my opinion. I would like to at this point acknowledge Nathan Andersohn. in a recent podcast he was on he was talking about his super slam and the weight arrows he shoots on ALL game. what he says might surprise most folks, but you absolutely cannot question his success.

Which podcast was that interview on?

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 01:41:28 PM »
the push
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 02:55:10 PM »
I listed to that one as well. It was really good. If you listen to the one where they talk to Rick Duggan, he talks about completing the super slam with a 475 grain arrow from a 58 pound bow. Makes you wonder...

Bisch

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 04:40:43 PM »
I think they will both work fine, and you should use the one that you have the most confidence in, and are most accurate with!

35-40yd shots on live critters????

Bisch

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 04:55:47 PM »
I think they will both work fine, and you should use the one that you have the most confidence in, and are most accurate with!

Bisch

That was my question as well.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Pmringer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 06:27:07 PM »

Bisch

I didn't word that clearly.  I never shoot past 30 hunting but I tested both out to approximately 35-40 yards on a 3D target to see the performance as they lose some steam.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 08:17:12 PM »
Yeah, I'm also with Bisch on this one. I shoot several bows in the poundage described and at the 550 grain approximate weight. In my experience, slight though it is, this strikes a good balance between velocity and mass. I don't believe this arrow will run out of steam at appropriate hunting distances. However, if you like the heavier approach, there is nothing wrong with it, either. Essentially, you are looking at a win/win choice. Which ever one you choose, be sure to post pics.
Sam

Offline Pmringer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »
Yeah, I'm also with Bisch on this one. I shoot several bows in the poundage described and at the 550 grain approximate weight. In my experience, slight though it is, this strikes a good balance between velocity and mass. I don't believe this arrow will run out of steam at appropriate hunting distances. However, if you like the heavier approach, there is nothing wrong with it, either. Essentially, you are looking at a win/win choice. Which ever one you choose, be sure to post pics.

I definitely will!  Looking forward to seeing how these Bone broadheads perform!

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 09:06:09 PM »
Seeing as both set-ups should have more than adequate energy, I would choose the one with the flatter trajectory. But, that is because I have proven to make errors in judging distance under pressure in the past & would rather have the set-up more forgiving of such errors.

That being said, my opinion is worth little to nothing since I have never killed anything with ANY bow (other than some fish, a little bit of foam and a LOT of time.... :wavey:).

GCook

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 11:19:15 PM »
The problem I have with that thinking is nobody shoots an arrow close to that weight in a compound and they blow through animals all the time.   Speed kills.  I believe a balance must be found but saying I can only shoot 15 yards because I have to shoot such a heavy arrow it has a rainbow arch does not compute for me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bisch

Speed vs. energy - Which to favor?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 11:56:09 PM »

[/quote]

Speed just makes you miss faster!

The reason compounders blow thru critters is because of the much higher speeds produced by those bows. Trad bows are inherently much slower, and as such, you need added arrow weight for higher momentum which produces better penetration!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 03:27:22 AM »
635 gr is only 15% heavier than 550 gr.
In real world you won t see a significant increase in penetration on critters at real stickbow hunting range.
Though on the lighter arrow speed will be in the 15 fps faster. When bowhunting sometime we make shots with perfect form and release and full draw length and sometimes in the fever there is weak shots with less than perfect release, underdraw etc ... in those shots, that extra speed may help to stay in the game and hit the vitals thanks the avoidance of 2-3 inches arrow drop. At least, It happened to me many times.
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

GCook

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 07:51:51 AM »
The problem I have with that thinking is nobody shoots an arrow close to that weight in a compound and they blow through animals all the time.   Speed kills. 

Speed just makes you miss faster!

The reason compounders blow thru critters is because of the much higher speeds produced by those bows. Trad bows are inherently much slower, and as such, you need added arrow weight for higher momentum which produces better penetration!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Maybe if you only look at the 300fps bows of today.  But my first compound didn't sling an arrow much faster than the recurve I shoot today and I shot through a few deer with it like they were paper targets.  Leaving a broadhead buried in a cedar trunk 10 yards past the deer on the first  buck I killed with it.
Only a 125 grain Satellite broadhead up front. 

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 08:27:39 AM »
Please no disrespect to be taken, but why all the recent discussions about compound bows. Remember this is a Tradition bowhunting forum. I understand that it is just comparison talk, but it will ultimately lead to removal of the thread.
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 09:15:04 AM »
If you are equally accurate with both, heavy is always better.  Otherwise the more accurate set up.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©