3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Iron Will Broadheads  (Read 4830 times)

Offline Hoosier_hunter157

• Trad Bowhunter
Iron Will Broadheads
« on: July 30, 2018, 02:06:46 PM »
Anyone taken the plunge and shelled out the cash for the new Iron Will broadheads? I know that price is a huge factor, but for inexperienced sharpeners (e.g. People like me who always worry my heads aren't sharp enough) the broadheads may be worth it. Thoughts or experiences with them?

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Iron Will Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 02:12:54 PM »
I know a couple of guys shooting them.  Probably the only head that can rival a true German Kinetic in sharpness straight out of the pack.  One of the guys has dinged up the bleeder blades hitting other arrows in practice,  and Iron Will has replaced them no questions asked.  It's interesting to see compound shooters who think nothing of paying $50 for three disposable heads,  complaining about the price of these,  when they'll outlast the shooter, as long as you don't lose them.  These,  and the heads from Valkyrie are in that same price range.  Iron Wills look much easier to sharpen though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 10:07:53 PM »
Rather short and stubby.  Not a high mechanical advantage (length to width) ratio. 

Regardless of how sharp a broadhead comes from the factory, it will soon dull in the quiver (any quiver) and will need to be touched up.  Good idea to learn how to do it.

Good luck.

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 12:02:34 AM »
If they're as hard as they advertise, re-sharpening would probably be more difficult than other broadheads.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 12:22:50 AM »
I might have been willing to try them if the blades were wider and thicker for the heavier weights, rather than just making the ferrule longer or heavier

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 03:51:38 AM »
when you compare 3 dead deers, one from a $5 zwickey one from a $15 VPA and one from a $35 ironwill BH, science won't be able to demonstrate wich one is more dead.
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Hoosier_hunter157

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 06:45:25 AM »
All good points. I was just curious as to what the trad guys thought. I like sharpening my own heads but I find myself second guessing and worrying about my blade sharpness.

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 02:16:35 PM »
when you compare 3 dead deers, one from a $5 zwickey one from a $15 VPA and one from a $35 ironwill BH, science won't be able to demonstrate wich one is more dead.
By that same logic,  why do guys buy new pickups when their 20 year old, paid for one,  does the same thing?  Gets you from point A to point B. I'll never criticize anyone for wanting to try a quality product.  It's the reason that we have so many choices.  Only two things that touch the critter,  broadhead and arrow.  Spend as much as you can to get the best possible of both.

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 03:54:08 PM »
I've yet to ever damage a broadhead.  I always tend to lose them on pass throughs or a tree limb while shooting at a squirrel.  I have no problem flinging a zwickey at a tree rat, so what good is a warranty on a 35.00/piece broadhead, especially one that'll prevent me from bringing home more game because of not wanting to risk losing one? 

With that I just can't justify, especially they can't kill an animal any faster or more efficiently than any other broadhead that costs 1/6th the price.   
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 04:04:38 PM »
Then don't buy them.  It's that simple.  Once again,  I don't begrudge anyone's choices in gear,  but broadheads seem to trip people's triggers quicker than anything.  I've shot most heads,  from old Razorheads to German Kinetics. There is a difference in how quick some kill over others.  Some steel holds a finer edge than others.  But, if what you are using works,  keep on keeping on.  I shoot small game heads at birds and squirrels. I'm not launching broadheads into space.
I've yet to ever damage a broadhead.  I always tend to lose them on pass throughs or a tree limb while shooting at a squirrel.  I have no problem flinging a zwickey at a tree rat, so what good is a warranty on a 35.00/piece broadhead, especially one that'll prevent me from bringing home more game because of not wanting to risk losing one? 

With that I just can't justify, especially they can't kill an animal any faster or more efficiently than any other broadhead that costs 1/6th the price.   

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »
Sneakybow,
Frankly I don t care at all if people feel they do need that kind of gear. Everyone is free to use his hard earned money the way he wants.
i went in many remote hunts in remote countries. I have never seen any guys there using a Porsche Cayenne. Though with enough money you can tune it and get a heck of all terrain car. There is simply no rationale for it when you will find many other cost effective options for the exact same job. Even a Toyota Land Cruiser 78 series.
letality is more an accuracy and cutting width topic rather than extreme edge retention and top of the art engineering

La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 04:08:58 PM »
So sneaky bow your saying Iron Will Broadheads will kill faster because they have better edge retention,, so another random head that's as sharp as it can possibly be (for sake of argument) vs the IW put through the same spot on a  deer or whatever the one that got stuck with the IW goes down first?   

I haven't seen the IW heads but I'd go with Sneakybow if the IW is as wide as a Tree shark or maybe a tad wider because the treeshark I'm told can cut the entire heart in half on a med to small deer on a hard quartering shot "so I'm told" ,,,,,  I think though if we can group multi blades into this  I'd vote for the big 160gr snuffer to snuff the fastest and that's only if I have to pick a head,,,,,,,, I know two blades bed them down quicker sometimes within a few feet after pass thru than anything I ever seen and that's based on my experience with Ace Standards, Grizzly, Stos and Stingers,,  I can only imagine what Big Jims 1 1/2" 3 blades can do  :scared:.

really just felt like posting its been a month I think,,,  :campfire:

"Us vs Them"

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »
LOL.  Sometimes I just need  to post every once in a while too.  I tinker with different broadheads from time to time.  These are pretty pricey, but if they were 1 1/4" wide with the same profile, I would still be tempted.  I got some VanDieman heads that are single bevel and 1 1/4" wide recently.  Pretty soft metal, but easy to sharpen, do a good job, and only a little over $10 per head shipped.  Easy to try them at that price.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 06:16:04 PM »
Ive looked at the iron will heads and they are an impressive little head. The edge retention is by far better than anything else ive tried. My only complaint is that for the different weight heads the blade stays the same and the ferule gets longer. Id much rather see a longer blade than a longer ferule that just created a longer leverage point.
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 01:25:03 PM »
After getting them and inspecting them and sharpening them, I very impressed. The materials and quality are amazing. The hardness and edge retention are 2nd to none. I sharpened one to a razors edge (all 16 different edges the head has) and Im impressed.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:55:08 PM by RGKulas »

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 02:04:40 PM »
Those that are comparing price and such, broadheads are still one of the cheapest but yet most important pieces of gear we will use , I can’t blame anyone for using something they feel will kill quicker and leave a better blood trail. You can always carry a ma3 or something in your quiver for small game you might come up on while hunting the bigger stuff
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 05:46:35 PM »
I agree with you, but really doubt it would be likely to do a better job than, and likely not as much blood on the ground as, other common bleeder blade heads.  Better durability maybe, though.  I say this based on the dimensions.  Not hating on them at all.

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 08:59:48 PM »
I just won one of these heads in a drawing...  upon receiving the head, I was very impressed by the quality of the head.  Super sharp, strong, and spin perfectly...  As much as I don't want to change broadheads, I believe I will do so........ 

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 10:20:05 PM »
Back to the original question, yes, I have used them .
 In fact I just returned from Africa and used them exclusively
 I won’t comment on the weather not they’re worth money for everyone else but they certainly were for me
 They are very high-quality steel, incredibly sharp, and the edge retention is unbelievable. They are easy to touch up.
 I shot through some very thick skinned animals and they could still shave afterward.
 In my opinion edge retention is important
 I agree that on a 14 inch thick thin skinned Whitetail it may not make a lot of difference  if you’re already punching through both sides, every time.
 I do believe on lesser quality broadheads they begin dulling  the moment they start cutting flesh
 I also believe there are differences in the quality of cuts in flesh...
All that being said, I still love my 3 blade VPAs also

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 11:35:44 PM »
So sneaky bow your saying Iron Will Broadheads will kill faster because they have better edge retention,, so another random head that's as sharp as it can possibly be (for sake of argument) vs the IW put through the same spot on a  deer or whatever the one that got stuck with the IW goes down first?   

I haven't seen the IW heads but I'd go with Sneakybow if the IW is as wide as a Tree shark or maybe a tad wider because the treeshark I'm told can cut the entire heart in half on a med to small deer on a hard quartering shot "so I'm told" ,,,,,  I think though if we can group multi blades into this  I'd vote for the big 160gr snuffer to snuff the fastest and that's only if I have to pick a head,,,,,,,, I know two blades bed them down quicker sometimes within a few feet after pass thru than anything I ever seen and that's based on my experience with Ace Standards, Grizzly, Stos and Stingers,,  I can only imagine what Big Jims 1 1/2" 3 blades can do  :scared:.

really just felt like posting its been a month I think,,,  :campfire:
Nah, I didn't say that the IW will kill quicker because of edge retention. I just said some heads just kill quicker than others lol.  But, then again,  some hunters just kill quicker than others too! I probably spend way too much on tinkering,  and my deer and elk season opens two weeks from tomorrow,  so I think I'm gonna stick with my 200gr Cutthroats and try to get them sharp as I can.  I may carry some of my Ace standards or Expresses as well. I like those Ace heads,  probably the nostalgic side of me. Simple,  but effective.  Wish I hadn't of given my GK heads to some of my friends to use,  those were nice,  but only 125s. That 1.5inch GK is just wicked on deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©