3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite non FF string?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
Favorite non FF string?
« on: August 02, 2018, 08:00:09 PM »
An early 60s damon howatt monterey is coming back to me after several years and I need a new string fir her. What do you folks recommend and where is best to get it. It's a 62" recurve btw

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite non FF string?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 08:16:01 PM »
Non FF is going to be B50 or B55.  I think any of the string makers or trad dealers can fix you up with one.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 08:41:18 PM »
My favorite one is the B50 string I just received from TenRingStrings for my Bear T/D. A.S.'s strings are the Bomb Diggity! (As the kids would say!) :biglaugh:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:15:56 PM »
I questioned Allen about why he doesn’t use B-55 anymore. I have one he made me for my Bear SK from 1972. He said that B-50 was lighter in weight per strand which should give the bow a little more go. I now believe it’s the maker as much as the material. Why, because his B-55 gave that old Bear a kick in the butt. So when my SK gets back from being refinishing I am having him make me a B-50.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 09:43:59 AM »
As stated (unless you go with a  primitive material like plant fiber, silk, sinew, etc.) your choices are B-55 or B-50.  Both are polyester ("dacron").  B-55 is a little higher grade of polyester, which will give you a little less stretch/creep and better durability.  If you want the absolute lightest, get a solid white string with minimal wax...but I'm guessing the performance difference will be 1 fps or less.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 09:48:38 AM »
Almost forgot...to answer the question, I'd go with B-55.  If there is a difference in the material weight, it's not going to be enough to matter.  B-55 has less stretch, less creep, and better durability. 

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 10:03:42 AM »
I don't have a material preference but I do vastly prefer endless loops especially in polyester strings. They are more stable in addition to being the traditional choice for the style of bow.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 10:44:10 AM »
I agree with BBJ there.  That's one material where endless has an advantage.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 11:02:21 AM »
Did a little research.  Compare the weights of white B-55 and white B-50, you should see practically no difference.  If anything the B-50 may be a little heavier since it's a slightly larger strand.  With bright colors, B-55 is probably going to be a tad heavier since the colors are brighter/more vibrant.  That requires a thicker coating (the colors are a coating, not a dye).  Not enough that it's going to make squat difference in performance, but I like to research stuff like this.  Again though, if you want to squeeze out that last 1/2 fps, stick with a solid white string (and minimal serving).  That holds true with any material.

Chad

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 12:53:39 PM »
I really like the Jack Howard string material - I don't know what it is, but its the white braided stuff.  Compared to a couple of Dacron Flemish strings I have this gives much nicer feel on the shot, less twang and a better feel to me.  Could be the way they are made, I dunno.  The Howard strings are endless loop 18 strand, generally.

LBR, do you know what this material is?

R

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 02:34:50 PM »
I have some and it is Pioneer Dacron. I am not convinced it is not the same 100% polyster string as you would find in a leather or sail shop.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 02:56:14 PM »
I had some a few years ago.  Don't remember the specifics, but it was basically a lower grade polyester that was manufactured for something other than bow strings.  Very elastic, had to figure out a different formula for it even with endless to account for the stretch.

FWIW, "Dacron" is a brand name for a polyester fiber...DuPont I think.  The trademark has expired on it and nobody paid to have it renewed, so technically there's no more Dacron.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »
For the bow you are talking about I'd probably make up a skinny B 50 string. I always found B 55 to have more stretch and to be thicker. I know a lot of guys say its quicker but that hasn't been my experience with it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©