3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What saftey harness and why  (Read 5845 times)

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What saftey harness and why
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 04:21:41 PM »
I use a Hunter Safety System. It's comfortable, doesn't tangle like other harnesses I've used, and it even serves as an extra layer when it's cold. (Not much, but it's something.) I like it because it's like putting on a coat as opposed to trying to step through loops and find which loop is for what foot etc.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 07:30:18 PM »
I have been using HSS but picked up a black diamond vario speed harness to try this year. If I hate it, at least it's small.

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 08:51:04 PM »
rock climbing harness and a tree stand wingman.  light weight, quiet, easy on/off...

Offline dixiearcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »
I have a HSS and like it...pick one, practice shooting with it on, and don’t get off the ground without it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Preach the gospel, die, and be forgotten
-Count von Zinzendorf

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 02:12:00 PM »
I am following this because it is time for me to get a new harness. Thanks for starting this, Charlie.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
Rock climbing harness. I think it’s a Black Diamond.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2018, 08:21:05 PM »
No matter what harness...consider using a Petzel GriGri 2 self belay devise to get yourself safely down to the ground by yourself if you fall.  I used to have detailed post on Pow Wow but seems like it is lost.  tippit

Jeff, I can't find your old thread either, but I remember the strong case you made for being able to make it on down to the ground after a treestand fall.  With medical trouble, that has been on my mind for the past few seasons.  I have carried an extra prusik hitch rope up with me as I climbed to my ladderstand with a lifeline rope, but wondered if I would have the strength to use it if needed.

Last night, I decided to adopt you as my Safety Guru after reading your latest reminder, and heed your admonition.  I ordered a Grigri 2 I tripped across for about $20 less than the prices on the famous sites.  I like my Muddy harness, but decided to spend my hunting budget for this Fall to get a Black Diamond Vario Speed Harness to go along with the Grigri 2.

I imagine there will be a bit of a learning curve as I figure the new system, but I suspect I will think of you and smile every time I put it on for a hunt.  Thanks for an important reminder and all the great stuff you do for this trad bowhunting community.  I really appreciate you!  Thank you, my friend!

Soon to be safer,

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2018, 12:04:17 AM »
As far as keeping the tether out of the way with a rock climbing harness I just run it under my arm. I also wear it under my wool pants in the winter. No problems.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2018, 10:46:33 AM »
Thank you for all the suggestions, I will certainly investigate these options. It will give me some time to play with whatever I choose prior to season.

One question with the rock climbing harness, Is it easy to go Potty with one?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2018, 01:46:18 PM »
I can have my RC harness off in less than 30 seconds.  So I'd say it comes off easy in those cases of emergency..

Offline Deertaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2018, 01:56:20 PM »
I am interested in the rock climbing harness, would someone mind posting a couple of pics in them?

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2018, 10:41:51 PM »
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_CA/search?cgid=harnesses&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyrG38rLX3AIVA9lkCh1QEgXyEAAYASAAEgIhhvD_BwE&rmsrc=1

This oughtta give you an idea. If you order one consider whether you will wear it outside your clothing or under it. It may make a diff on size. I've gone to wearing it under my pants so its easier to get into my pockets.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2018, 09:56:09 AM »
Went to the Black Diamond climbing harness and a prussic tether (like used by SOP harness) far easier to use and less restrictive, makes shooting to the hard right and behind the tree no problem.  Much easier to carry/don/takeoff also 
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 06:57:22 AM »
I have needed to move up on this for awhile.  I am still using a belt with a rope and it is easy and portable but probably not as safe as I should have.  I am getting on in years and facing the increasing likelihood of a slip or fall. I did buy a vest but found it clunky and cumbersome and left it home.  I like the rock climbing harness idea a lot, but I am unclear as to how I tie myself up or in  while I am in a tree stand.
Would someone dumb it down for me, and explain the technique of using one for tree stand hunting?  My next step is to go to the source of all knowledge and look on YouTube

Steve
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2018, 07:20:41 AM »

There are two videos for you

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »
100% rock climbing harness for me also most comfortable nothing on your shoulders and most comfortable to hang out of.
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2018, 10:18:30 AM »
Great video, makes things a whole lot clearer.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2018, 11:22:35 AM »
Good Job!! I think I'm changing my way of thinking.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2018, 12:04:59 PM »
Just using a safety belt. I would like to start using the rock harness. Where does the tether attach? I have used the Treehopper for 20 years with no problems but can see that some added safety with the leg straps would be smart.
  Treehopper - https://www.treehopperllc.com/shop/treehopper-3-in-1-climbing-belt/
The tether on my treehopper is about at the small of my back or hips if I'm moving around. I looks like rock harness attached in the front? Can you spin around?
I don't like full a harness hanging on my shoulders or the extra weight of them. And it seems odd that rock climbers are ok without shoulder straps. I assume a rock harness can connect to a lineman's rope easily?

Thanks,
Tedd

Macatawa

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2018, 12:35:16 PM »
I am interested in the rock climbing harness, would someone mind posting a couple of pics in them?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©