3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What saftey harness and why  (Read 5842 times)

huntryx

Re: What saftey harness and why
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2018, 03:10:51 PM »
Black Diamond Alpine Bod--don't even know it's there.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2018, 04:10:07 PM »
On the black diamond bod harness can the gear loops be used for a lineman’s rope ? If not how do you use one ? Also does the front attached rope not hinder some shot positions ?
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2018, 04:49:07 PM »
HSS ultra light for all season except I use a "seat of the pants original" which has un-trimmed straps for late winter because it can easily go over all the heavy layers I'm wearing (I will also use the SOTP when I'm in a tree with a Ghillie on) ,,,, when its that cold the HSS vest pockets are useless I need warm wool jacket pockets with nothing blocking them.

now the HSS can be worn under everything but I have that lanyard strap coming up out of the back of my collar which causes a 10 degree draft down the back,,,, my setup if fully tested by me so I'll vote a 10 every time.

"Us vs Them"

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2018, 05:10:28 PM »
X3 on the Muddy.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2018, 06:45:15 PM »
Tajue I’m the same in that I’ve tested my muddy and current lone wolf and am comfortable in them and fully trust them. The rock harness looks interesting but I’ve asked twice how the front attached rope works out in all shooting positions so far no answer but it really seems like it would be a issue. Also that good video wasn’t exactly apples and apples in that the full harness had way to much slack in the tether. When I sit down I want to be able to feel it slightly tug with the rope as high as possible on the tree above you. It’s hard to give up something that works
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2018, 08:34:22 PM »
Dave it attaches to the loop in the front, can go under your arm and attach to a tree line.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

huntryx

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2018, 06:26:43 AM »
You use a carabiner to attach the safety line to the belt and the lop that comes up from your crotch to the belt. Also, the gear holders are useless for lineman's belt-- too weak. I cut them off, installed 2 heavy duty nylon attachment points.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2018, 11:54:43 AM »
Dave,

I do not use a lineman's belt with my climbing harness except when very low in the tree.  I use the safety rope wrapped around the tree and attached to the front of the harness like I would when in stand.  I  slide it up the tree as I climb, using the prusiac to adjust the length as needed as I climb.  I carry two ropes so that I can use one to attach above a limb when I come to one and remove the lower strap before continuing up.  The point is to be 100% attached to the tree at all times.  Also if you fall and cannot access the steps below you.  You can lower yourself with the two straps by alternating your weight between them and sliding them down the tree.  Always facing the tree in a fall is good.   Youtube has several good instructional videos for using a climbing harness in treestands.

When in the stand the rope comes from the tree, at just above waist level under my arm, and around my right side (right handed shooter) to the front attachment loop.  I leave enough slack so I can rotate to the left as far as needed for possible shots.  Rotate right for shots to the right the rope will never be in your way.  This gives plenty of slack to go from sitting to standing.

Some harness have side straps that are rated to take your weight if you are going to use it with a lineman's rope and will be marked to show that.  Side equipment straps will not have a listed weight rating.  as mentioned before do not use them to climb.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Deertaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »
So Here is something that maybe someone can help us with. I purchased a Viper climbing tree stand a number of years ago and it cam with a rope system to put around the tree and use as you climb and also then to tie to when you are in the stand. it was quite and worked really well.
A number of years ago I was not able to find it and then had to use other ones with the metal buckles and are have that metal sound and clinging as you are climbing the tree.
My question is can some one show us a YouTube or pictures or anything to make our own? hopefully you know what I am trying to describe. I am sure it would help me and a lot of other people on here too!

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »
On the black diamond bod harness can the gear loops be used for a lineman’s rope ? If not how do you use one ? Also does the front attached rope not hinder some shot positions ?

Dave....No the gear loops are not load rated on the Black Diamond, or most other harnesses (although you can find a few).  I use a Black Diamond harness and when climbing I connect a carabiner on each side of the the main waist belt between the front of the gear loops and where the leg strap connects to the main belt....the linemans rope goes around the tree and connects to each biner...quick, simple and works really well.  When I get to my stand height I have a second rope that I use as my tree strap to attach me the tree and I hook into that before taking the linemans off.   

Because the connection point on a rock climbing harness is at waist level instead of neck level like a typical hunting safety harness your tree strap can be lower as well.  The rope simply sits to your side and doesn't interfere with shooting in the least. I was hesitant at first too as it just seemed it would be in the way but after using it you don't even notice it being there.   

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2018, 06:14:05 PM »
So Here is something that maybe someone can help us with. I purchased a Viper climbing tree stand a number of years ago and it cam with a rope system to put around the tree and use as you climb and also then to tie to when you are in the stand. it was quite and worked really well.
A number of years ago I was not able to find it and then had to use other ones with the metal buckles and are have that metal sound and clinging as you are climbing the tree.
My question is can some one show us a YouTube or pictures or anything to make our own? hopefully you know what I am trying to describe. I am sure it would help me and a lot of other people on here too!

You're looking for a rope style lineman's belt I believe? I don't think I've ever seen one that doesn't use at least one climbing carabiner though.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline Deertaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2018, 06:31:39 PM »
It kinda had the carabiner, I think the Carabiner was on the safety harness.

Offline Deertaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2018, 06:37:32 PM »
I just googled it, and this is what I found. Any tips on making one?

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2018, 06:56:24 PM »
Sure, but hunters safety system sells one for around $20, likely cheaper than you can buy the ropes for.

The main rope is 10-12mm static climbing rope, the loop that slides along it is a prussic knot that, if I remember correctly, is made from 2mm smaller climbing rope than the main line. So if the main line is 10mm, use 8mm for the prussic knot. One end of the line is an overhand loop knot, the other is a simple overhand knot to keep the prussic knot from sliding off when not in use.
Hopefully this is what you're looking for.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline Deertaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2018, 09:00:44 AM »
Thanks! will have to check that out. I think with the picture and your description I will have enough if I wanted to try and make one too!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2018, 09:18:14 AM »

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2018, 03:43:05 PM »
I use an HSS and keep my suspension relief strap handy and practice using it. 
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©