3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: chisel tip  (Read 3080 times)

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
chisel tip
« on: August 02, 2018, 11:07:55 PM »
Do bear razor heads need it?
Is it deer season yet?

Bisch

chisel tip
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 11:31:55 PM »
I don’t see any way possible to put a chisel tip on a 2 blade head like that? A chisel tip is the type on a head like a thunderhead or muzzy 3-blade.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: chisel tip
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 11:43:41 PM »
my ignorance can be astounding at times but I thought a chisel tip was making the tip like that of a wood chisel?
Is it deer season yet?

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 12:44:26 AM »
Bish:

Those are trocar tips not chisel tips....... on the Thunderhead and Muzzy.

TXcookie:

You are right except filed from both sides.

Many years ago folks started to file chisel tips on Bear razor heads.  I think, if memory serves me right, there was even some video (old film) of Fred filing a chisel roint on one.  It was thought removing the very pointy tip might prevent it rolling on impact.

Just some thoughts.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »
Huntschool X2

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 10:44:26 AM »
I always thought a chisel point was more or less filing the tip straight across.
...not sure if that is what you're asking about.

I think the razorheads look pretty good on the point when new....but after a few sharpenings the point can get to be pretty thin..ie needle point.
When my heads get like that I like to give them what I found to be called a tanto tip..even though it doesn't really look like a tip on any tanto knife I've seen...lol but I can see the similarity.

Anyway..a point something like this...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Bisch

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 11:31:08 AM »
Hmm, ok! I guess you can teach an old dog something new! So, what is a tanto tip then. I would be interested in seeing pics of each so I make sure I have my terminology straight. We have always called the T-Head tips chisel tips!

Bisch

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 12:17:50 PM »
Heck I don't know if I'm right either....lol
The pic I posted above is what I believe is a type of a tanto tip.

I see there are 3 blade "modern style" heads out there that call their tips chisel....certainly not what I thought was called a chisel...more of the tricar or whatever that was mentioned before.

Here's something I pulled off the Asbel testing...not the best pic..but I use it for reference....
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 12:32:08 PM »
In the picture Zardix posted above, regardless of name, the last three on the right display what I call a "chisel" tip.

I know that I have some RH's with the tip filed off hidden somewhere in a dark spot in my old stuff.  If I can I'll look for them later today.  As I remember, they worked quite well on the old Bear fiberglass arrows I was shooting off an early Super Kodiak and then later on some 2017 aluminum shafts.

I also seem to recall, many, many moons ago on this site a pretty good discussion regarding the same topic.  I am talking back about 2006 or so.  My memory is failing me like other parts of my body so don't hold me to that date.

My, how times have changed.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 05:21:23 PM »
In addition to the chisel tip, a lot of folks also just rounded the tip a bit. Of course, either, plus Zradix's tanto shape can be filed into any two-blade head.  Do they need it?  I dunno.  I don't do it to most of my 2-blade heads, regardless of brand.   

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 05:46:53 PM »
If I recall correctly, the newer production bear razors(with blue ferrul) had a chisel tip from factory.
I also can remember my uncle and some of his hunting buds putting a pretty significant round over on the bear heads. They claimed it would glance off bone better and improve penetration.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 06:32:34 PM »
My SS Bear blue heads have what we called a “chisel” tip. I own some rather pricey chisels but none of them look like a chisel tip on a broadhead. Where the terminology came from? Who knows. But it was one of the first things I was told to do by the “old timers”, get rid of the pointy point.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 09:29:55 PM »
I chisel tip mine.  Have done it with bear, Hunter, and ace heads for many years. Really strengthens the tip. I shoot bhs alot in my rocky yard. Rocks will curl the tip and keep it curling.  Once chiseled they don't curl as easily.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 11:44:10 PM »
I've been rounding my Zwickeys forever.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 08:02:13 PM »
This is from Muzzy's website...

The Trocar HB and HBX both feature 0.35-inch-thick surgically sharp stainless steel mechanical blades that stay tucked in tight to the solid-steel ferrule in flight, but they deploy reliably with a 1 5/8” expandable cutting diameter. The fixed blades are also 0.35-inch thick and have a cutting diameter of 1”. They have an offset for increased accuracy and stability. The total cutting diameter of the HB and HBX is 2 5/8”. The Trocar HB and HBX feature a bone-crushing chisel tip.

I'm like Bisch - was taught this type of point was called a "chisel tip".
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Bisch

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 03:15:06 PM »
This is from Muzzy's website...

The Trocar HB and HBX both feature 0.35-inch-thick surgically sharp stainless steel mechanical blades that stay tucked in tight to the solid-steel ferrule in flight, but they deploy reliably with a 1 5/8” expandable cutting diameter. The fixed blades are also 0.35-inch thick and have a cutting diameter of 1”. They have an offset for increased accuracy and stability. The total cutting diameter of the HB and HBX is 2 5/8”. The Trocar HB and HBX feature a bone-crushing chisel tip.

I'm like Bisch - was taught this type of point was called a "chisel tip".

Thank you for posting that! Just reaffirms in my little pea brain that I am not crazy after all!!!  :laughing:

Bisch

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 03:52:48 PM »
Bisch:  You have a good memory.  The fact that Muzzy calls its three or four sided point a chisel tip is a nice marketing phrase, it even resembles a pointed chisel from any one side, but try to use that kind of chisel to shape/shave a piece of wood.  The chisel tip that Bear once made and the filed chisel tip that most folks put on their two- and four-blade heads look like a version of the three on the far right in Zradix's picture. The fact that the hand filed chisel tip been around a lot longer than the "trocar" tip should give it precedence. For what it's worth.   :deadhorse: :bigsmyl:

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 05:31:49 PM »
Bisch:  You have a good memory.  The fact that Muzzy calls its three or four sided point a chisel tip is a nice marketing phrase, it even resembles a pointed chisel from any one side, but try to use that kind of chisel to shape/shave a piece of wood.  The chisel tip that Bear once made and the filed chisel tip that most folks put on their two- and four-blade heads look like a version of the three on the far right in Zradix's picture. The fact that the hand filed chisel tip been around a lot longer than the "trocar" tip should give it precedence. For what it's worth.   :deadhorse: :bigsmyl:

I would agree.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 12:27:11 PM »
Doing this to my elk arrows this year:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 02:16:29 PM »
I rolled the tip back on the off shoulder of the first buck I took with a recurve and an Eskimo . Been putting a squared off end about 1/8" wide filed from both sides ever since.  Don't think it matters on penetration but no more rollovers...   Now what to call it?  :biglaugh:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©