3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Target Panic!!!  (Read 2969 times)

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Target Panic!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 05:15:40 PM »
I remember when I was a young boy in Texas we would frequently dare each other to throw a rock or something at a yellow jacket nest.  If you hit it and stirred them up, they would go after you and it was impossible to outrun them.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »
I know the feeling! I got popped by 2 red wasps the other day while mowing and I was doing some kinda dance trying to get away :biglaugh:
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 10:00:29 PM »
I hate yellow jackets above them all I swell and itch for awhile. Go ahead and tell us how sweet revenge was🤨

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 10:55:54 PM »
Dang, those things are nasty! If panic too!

We had a big nest at our golf course this year up in a big birch. Couldn't blow it open for the birds with a shotgun since it's loud so I went out with my longbow and some judos. That was a lot of fun tearing that nest up. Got some funny looks from the golfers. It was all good until I accidentally broke off what was holding it to the tree. Had to get  out of there in a hurry! :laughing:

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 12:27:18 AM »
Sounds like too much fun too fast.  :biglaugh:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

pavan

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 12:58:12 AM »
German yellowjackets.  They are bigger and faster than the kind that mess in your kid's sand box.  They make big nasty hives out of wood chewing.  Last year we got honey bees getting into our house in a bad window trim.  The yellow jackets moved in on them.  We made life uncomfortable for them and they moved a half block east to another house.  They still have a problem with them.  Years ago a farmer that was a shirttail relation, decided on Labor Day, that it was a good time to fix his off the rails machine shed door.  The yellow jackets had built a nest behind it.  He died before he got to his house.  Another one about that same time, a farmer wanted to disc the corner of his field near his farm place where the family garden was planted, so he backed into position and bumped a stack of wooden fence poles.  He was found dead on his tractor going in circles in his field.  German yellow jackets have a way of targeting an aggressor, so the entire fleet knows what to attack.  From what I saw last year, I know that i am not fast enough to outrun them.  A hornet flies like an ultralight bi-plane, a German yellow jacket flies like an x15 fighter jet.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 09:39:07 AM »
Ah yes...sweet revenge, after giving them a few minutes to calm down (not sure if they ever do) I fired up my propane fogger and grabbed my can of PB Blaster (I’d used up my bee spray a few days before this and hadn’t bought anymore.) I went back out and started fogging them and hitting them with the PB Blaster its a little more expensive than bee spray but it knocks them down right now!!!! After giving them a good what for I left them alone until evening before I went back out and they were gone. I went out last night after work no bees around so I finished up rotating my bales and strapped them back down.  :thumbsup:
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 09:49:34 AM »
I remember when I was a young boy in Texas we would frequently dare each other to throw a rock or something at a yellow jacket nest.  If you hit it and stirred them up, they would go after you and it was impossible to outrun them.

I took that dare once throwing rocks at a hole in the ground when I was like 8, got stung 3 times - ha!

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 10:16:03 AM »
Oh how I hate those things! I got into a bunch in my backyard while bathing my dog and some water from the hose went into their underground nest.  They swarmed and I was trying to get away and get my dog away--we both took several hits.  I had somewhere around 35 stings--I was wearing shorts and sleeveless tee shirt. My body was on fire as my wife took me to the urgent care center.  No ill effects other than pain.  I dearly love to take revenge on any I see.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 04:21:25 PM »
Looking at the bright side of this little lesson, (if there is such a thing as a bright side with bees!!!)  I can still do the 50 yard dash purty good for an almost 50 year old!!!   :biglaugh: Really glad no one was around with their phone taking pictures.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 04:50:47 PM »
Out where I hunt they have big nest just attached to the mesquite trees. I put a couple arrows threw a big nest until they started to figure things out. I managed not to get stung that day.

I got stung a bunch as a kid messing with them. My dad hit some with a shredder,and got stung about 50 times.

When I was shooting at them with my bow,I was thinking I guess I'll never grow up :biglaugh:

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 07:55:03 PM »
Just a suggestion but if you want to kill insects and especially wasps/hornets hit them with soapy water, thrown as a liquid or out of a spray bottle.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
To me target panic is when an animal runs away with my arrow through its lungs! :laughing:

pavan

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 04:20:23 PM »
Talking about our recent German yellow jacket invasion with an old farmer, he told me how they had large ball shaped nest in their barn hay loft.  So he shot it with a couple of 20 gauge slugs.  Two things, first, he was surprised how much damage a couple of 20 gauge slugs could do to his barn, second, the dumbass just had to take a closer look. 

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 04:52:45 PM »
 I'm so glad I read it before I moved it to the shooters Forum ...too funny!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »

Oh that's nothing Dave....

Once while in Cohutta bear hunting I walked up to the hole left by a fallen tree's root ball and I peed in a little hole.... until the Yellow Jacket started flying out ....

Lets see you try that buddy  :goldtooth:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 07:57:45 PM »
Thread made my day.     :laughing:    Be careful guys. 

Terry  that was a hoot.

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 08:20:17 PM »
I read a few seasons ago about a fellow that got stung to death while hunting. I have had a few close calls in the woods, but luckily nothing serious developed. Then, again, I never peed in holes in the ground.
Sam

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 10:30:59 PM »
A few years ago we had some make a nest right under the goat target at our local 3D range. My first two shots were good. The third hit the dirt at his feet and they came out in a swarm. Had to go back later that night to get my arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©