3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where can I get merino wool cheap?  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
Where can I get merino wool cheap?
« on: August 10, 2018, 09:04:01 AM »
I need some base layers.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Where can I get merino wool cheap?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 09:29:12 AM »
Merino wool and cheap don't go together.  Might be able to pick up some used stuff on the big auction site.  Good luck.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 09:34:57 AM »
Minus 33 brand seems reasonably priced maybe 20% less than other brands.  I have not used it enough to compare quality to some of the other brands I have (smart wool and first lite).  First lite has some good prices on discontinued camo patterns.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 10:08:03 AM »
Camofire

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 10:18:43 AM »
The big auction site and several google hits turned up some unknown brands at $30-$40, cheap for merino I suppose but no idea on the quality. Some said 100% wool but I doubt that as even the expensive garments generally have some spandex. I would do more research as I assume the less you spend the less wool will be in the finished product.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 10:33:53 AM »
Sierra Trading Post buys overstock and discontinued items from name brand businesses and resells at a discount. I've gotten good merino wool from them from time to time. Just depends on what they have at the time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 12:22:07 PM »
just an option!  try omni wool at sams club. it is a blend, its cheap, it works.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 01:06:23 PM »
Have some Minus 33.  Quality is just as good as my First Lite and Ufrotte, I think.  100% merino isn't cheap.  You may be able to find blends for a lot less, but not the same stuff, though it no doubt works, just not as well IMO.  In addition to heat retention, 100% wool is also much better at not picking up and retaining body odor.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 01:37:14 PM »
1) Thrift stores. Be patient, go through all the sweaters and read the tags. There are a fair amount of Italian brand sweaters with very fine merino weaves that do an adequate job. They are not cool camo colors and are not as thin as the fabrics used in most of the hunting offerings. However, at $3.99-6.99 for a top that'll do the job, I don't care what color it is. My only base layer for two weeks of elk hunting this year is a black merino sweater tagged $3.99 and it was a 50% day, so $1.99.

2) Just another of the many reasons to participate in the St. Jude Auction. I think I sent out 11 merino sweaters of various sizes this year. I think one guy got 4 sweaters for $50. Thrift store made some money, St. Jude got a donation and the guy got great base layers for cheap. Everybody wins.

3) As others said above, Camofire and Sierra Trading Post both have good prices occasionally on merino pieces. You just gotta buy when you see it regardless of time of year.

Whatever you do, don't spend any money on First Lite Red Desert boxers if you will be doing a lot of hiking or pack-in hunts. They disintegrate at the seams. Holes appear within just a couple days' use. They are probably fine for stand hunting for whitetails, but they are unk and wasted weight for backcountry elk or any mountain hunting.

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 03:24:41 PM »
Camofire, but they are running behind on orders right now getting stuff shipped.  I've had some of their boxers since last year,  still going strong.  FL boxers are garbage.  Just keep an eye on there for when the wool shows up. It's listed on Black Ovis too, but way cheaper when they run it on Camofire.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 09:33:33 PM »
The Clymb often has icebreaker merino.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 11:42:51 AM »
 I have a huge box of Merino and other wool base layer and middle layer clothing, all purchased at secondhand stores and for $2-3 each.  For hunting, and for base layer applications especially, I see no reason to pay full price somewhere else.  Then when you're done with it, or if it gets stained or ruined, you throw it in the garbage.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 12:17:10 PM »
good deals to be had at times on this Facebook page:  First Lite Gear Buy Sale Trade

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 06:09:59 PM »
just an option!  try omni wool at sams club. it is a blend, its cheap, it works.

Roger that. It's what my son and I have both used the past two seasons. Really good stuff, especially considering the price. Note: tends to run a little small.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 07:41:04 PM »
Merino wool?  Cheap?  Go buy yourself a sheep. 
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©