3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Letting an old bow eat. Don't be green with envy.  (Read 3913 times)

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Letting an old bow eat. Don't be green with envy.
« on: August 12, 2018, 01:09:07 PM »
Corny title, I suppose,  but I am still grinning from how well things went.

A nice guy from NJ had an older Paul Bunyan for trade on another site, and I was able to trade an older Buck knife and some Razorcaps for the bow.  He included a like new shooting glove and some napped heads as well.  I think that we both were happy with the trade.

In any case, it arrived yesterday and I put it in the car as I headed to work.  I strung it up at work and took a couple pics.

When I got home from work, I put a new FF string on it, put it on the scale and got some arrows together that seemed to shoot okay out of the bow.  My digital scale agrees with this spring scale at the heavier end of the plastic, so this was probably close to 70# at 29.5#.

In any case, I shot maybe 30 arrows and decided that if hogs showed up, that I would chase them with this bow.  Turns out I got some pics of pigs in my plum thicket a little after dark.  They were just a little under a mile from the house, but I had my gear staged in my  car, so I jumped in and drove about a half mile, parked the car, and quickly made my way to the thicket.

I slapped my Chad Orde string tracker below the grip, and swung around to the North to get the wind in my favor, although it was a very slight breeze, and likely to swirl.  I came down through a lane that I have brush hogged leading to a feeder.  As I entered the lane, I connected the string to the arrow and made my approach.  There is a green light shining over this feeder, although it is pretty faint, so you don't want to be to far away for a shot.  Sitting at this feeder is a tough proposition, because they almost always wind you, so it is best to wait until they are already feeding to make a stalk.

Anyway, as I got very close, there was a huge boar that I have pictures of, that was silhouetted but he wouldn't come into the light enough to shoot.  I could have shot him, as he was only 8 yards away or so, but I couldn't be sure that brush wasn't in the way.  With the wind the way it was, I elected to shoot the first hog that I had an opportunity at before the wind would swirl.

I got a quartering away shot and a small to medium size hog maybe 7 yards from meand took it.  I could see that I got a pass through because of the illuminated nock, and line peeled away from for roughly 50 yards before stopping.  I was so confident that I got it done, that I called my good friend, dirtybird, around 2 minutes after the shot, basically because I was so excited to take a pig so quickly with this bow.

I was planning on just following the string to the hog, but when I checked the arrow, my excitement left me.  The arrow was full of grease and smelled of gut contents, and I couldn't seen any blook.  On top of that, the string got cut from the broadhead after it had passed through, so I had no idea how far the hog had actually gone after the string stopped going out.  I decided to back out and check in the morning.  I was really disappointed.

I got up this mornng, and took our Kelpie pup out for a little tracking experience and hoping to get lucky.  I guess we didn't need to get lucky, because the line took us right to the hog that had died only 40-50 yards from the shot.  The hog was quartering away more at the shot than I thought, and the arrow exited the offside shoulder, with all of the blood in the chest cavity.  I could have recovered it right away last night, but had no idea of that . Anyway, here is the pig.  Very happy with this one.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 07:57:47 PM by pdk25 »

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Letting an old bow eat. Don't be green with envy.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 01:25:00 PM »
Great shootin Pat!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 01:29:49 PM »
Cool bow and good shooting..

Bisch

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 01:39:25 PM »
Way to go Pat!!!!

Bisch

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 03:03:46 PM »
Now that's cool, congrats!
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 03:22:36 PM »
Nice hog. Didn't know those old Paul Bunyon's were FF compatible. LOL :biglaugh:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 03:43:45 PM »
Nice lil piggy. Is that a solid FG bow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 03:49:20 PM »
Yes sir!  Solid fiberglass.  Probably 60 years old.  I wonder if it has killed before?  I have zero doubt that it could easily kill amything in North America at my drawlength, and possibly even a Buff if tuned up with the right arrows.  A little noisy and shocky though, lol.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 04:20:09 PM by pdk25 »

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 03:58:14 PM »
Fantastic and congrats on both! Well told story! :clapper: :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

GCook

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 04:16:13 PM »
Sweet! 

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 04:41:19 PM »
awesome,
would love to see a pic of your kelpie,
iu have had a few of them, totally stock dogs. but a good mate of mine in Oz, uses kelpie and kelpie cross pitbull types for hunting pigs.
 he loves the smarts of the kelpie, and their out and out sheer toughness and determination.
my only one left is the best stock dog i have ever run.

do you guys eat the hogs? if so, are they good? do they make good bacon, ham etc

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 04:54:00 PM »
They make very good meat, but very different from a domestic hog.  Make good smoked ham,  barbeque, the loins can be smaller but taste great pan friend, and you can make great shoulder or ham roasts in the oven.  I have killed around 100 in the last 18 months, and what I haven't given away has been eaten, turned into sausage or brats, canned soups, or freeze dried.  I think I have enough food freeze dried to last my wife and myself around a year and a half if the SHTF.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 05:11:28 PM »
Kelpie pics coming up.  Just what I have on myway phone.  My wife has the best pics.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 05:12:56 PM »
He likes meat and vegetables, lol.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 05:44:39 PM »
congrats  :clapper:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 06:15:35 PM »
awesome pics of a great dog!!
the one i have left is liver and tan, but man what a cow dog!!
they are whip smart, and loyal and tough. one of the best working stock dog breeds IMO.
not high strung like collies, can handle the heat, incredibly agile, not face biters like other working dogs can be- my kid would crawl all over them, never heard them growl once.
and they just love to work.

yours looks like a nice alert dog, does yours have one floppy ear-same as mine.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 06:33:10 PM »
That bow takes me back to the beginning. I got started shooting solid fiberglass bows back in 1959 or so. Nice find!
Sam

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 06:53:01 PM »
Great story I wonder how long it has been since anyone killed anything with a Paul Bunyan bow . I have a couple  Ill have o dig them out and see what weight they are .

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 07:07:18 PM »
Pat, that’s very cool. Dave was telling me you got that bow. Awesome kill! Love the dogs. They all look like buddies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 07:30:36 PM »
Pure nostalgia (ie.. freaking awesome) !!!!!
Congrats buddy!! 
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©