3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What treestand are you packing in?  (Read 4747 times)

Offline mississippidude

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
What treestand are you packing in?
« on: August 12, 2018, 03:27:09 PM »
I am in the market for a new treestand this year. I plan on walking in a good way on public land and hanging my stand and taking it down every hunt. I’ve had summits and like them but I like the flexibility of the lone wolf hang on & sticks. I’d like to hear some of your personal experience and preference.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What treestand are you packing in?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 04:08:11 PM »
i just got a millennium m7 its their ultra lite. i also like my old lone wolf assault. both are around 8-9  lbs
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 04:41:48 PM »
This will be my first year using lock-on’s. Lone Wolf Assault and Millennium M100U
With Lone Wolf Sticks.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 06:16:39 PM »
Just this past year I done a lot of research and planning on my public land stand setups. I needed to find the lightest weight, easiest to use with minimal stuff for packing in a pretty long distance, and back out since it's public lands. I narrowed my choices down to 2 setups and finally decided on a Summit Open Shot SD. I also made a new rope tree strap with a prusik knot for my harness and ordered the Third Hand straps for the stand. The straps really stabilize the stand once up and also double as very good straps to bundle the sections together when backpacking noise-free. Plus they weight next to nothing so it adds minor weight to the package. With a hang-on and a bunch of sticks/steps, and the chore of bundling them together neatly for a quiet package, the weight and the chore of installation, the lightweight climber made good sense in my situation. The areas I hunt usually have trees suitable for a climber, others may not have such trees in their areas to hunt from. Some practice in the yard and I can now zip up a tree pretty efficiently with the Open Shot and with the additional straps, once I reach my desired height, it's rock-steady. I realize you asked about a hang-on stand and sticks, and I considered that as well, but quickly realized I probably wasn't gonna get as easy and light of a package deal as I would with the Open Shot climber. However, you may find something I didn't and end up with a package that meets your needs perfectly in a hang-on and sticks.
Mark 1:17

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 06:57:41 PM »
I love the lonewolf hand climber.  Really lightweight, folds flat, and easy to set up.  I've been using the same one for 4-5 years now.
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline Lakerat007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 08:19:51 PM »
I switched to hunting out of a saddle a few years ago and luv it. Can't see myself going back to a hang on.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 08:40:54 PM »
Picked up a LW alpha II this year to see what all the hypes about. I've only used hang ons a few times in the past, and typically just set up and left them for the season. Since I've been branching out into public more lately I wanted to set something mobile up. I went with hawk helium sticks. The stand, with molle straps and hip belt, and 3 sticks is a bit over 20#. It's very flat and honestly it doesn't feel that heavy.  The assault would save a few pounds, but coming from large platform home made ladder stands I wanted a decent size platform to start out with.

Only a couple test runs up the tree so far, but it seems like what I was aiming for. Probably pick up a hand climber as well in the future.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline DocWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 09:02:07 PM »
I have had several treestand/stick combos over the years. I bit the bullet and bought a LW Assault a year or two ago and paired it with my Hawk Helium sticks. For me, there is not a better set up and I would gladly spend the money again. I put the old school packing straps from my Summit Vioer for carrying and installed the Summit cinch strap to the stand so I can have the sticks on or off quickly.

I have a Mellinium, very comfortable, but is hung and left. The XOP is easy to hang, cheaper in cost, but is the larger version that I don’t use anymore. I have an old Timber Jack with ratchet strap that is comfortable and ultra light but is not as versatile. I typically hang it and leave it. If I am packing in and out it is the LW all the way.
"A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion."  Unknown

Offline mississippidude

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 10:47:29 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Good stuff! I’ve looked into the Summit Open Shot and it’s not out of the question.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 11:52:47 AM »
I’ve found for me the lone wolf assault and LW sticks work best. I’ve got several LW stands and sets of sticks. If hunting public land over a weekend , I’ll leave the stand and pull the bottom couple ladder sections. All can be locked to the tree but a thief that really wants it will find a way.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 12:00:30 PM »
Going with the Aero Hunter Kestrel saddle this year.
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline 2madjacks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 02:19:08 PM »
I am planning on spending more time on public land this year and will be using the Lone Wolf Alpha II and the Assault II both pair with the sticks. 

Offline Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 06:40:55 PM »
Windwalker tree stand and LW sticks.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »
Lone wolf assault.  I can race a grey squirrel up the tree and do it very quietly.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 09:23:19 PM »
Lone wolf climber, ladder stands too. Have a hang on but may not get it up in time.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline mississippidude

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 10:55:12 PM »
Man, glad to see the hang ons are a popular choice. I’m leaning toaward the XOP line because they are a bit less pricey than lone wolf and I like how the sticks stack on the frame of the stand.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 06:39:36 AM »
Lone Wolf Alpha II for versatility and any unknown tree. Lone Wolf Hand Climber for when I know the exact tree I want is there and the climber will fit. If I could only have one it would be the Alpha II because it’s more versatile but I like having options and the climber does that for me in addition to providing me with a backup/loaner stand (which I’ve never needed but if I didn’t have it my stand would have an issue right in the middle of the rut).
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Bchunter1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 06:55:19 AM »
I have the summit cobra , open front works for bow hunting and it has a full seat for all day sits . I hunt out of cabbage palms and just like that I am able to move around the tree and keep the sun at bay with the versatility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 09:36:24 AM »
I switched to hunting out of a saddle a few years ago and luv it. Can't see myself going back to a hang on.

My saddle is on order and I'm awaiting it to be shipped.  This will be my first season in a saddle and I'm super excited.  If it's everything it's being hyped up to be I can't imagine hiking any distance with a tree stand anymore.  I primarily hunt public land where stands need to be removed daily or after a 5 day period.  I've got to admit that I'm tired of that part of public land.

-Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »
I'm using the Lone Wolf Alpha II for the first time this year.  I practiced putting it up in a few places and so far I'm impressed. 
-EVG

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©