3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A really good day Thanks Moebow  (Read 1623 times)

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
A really good day Thanks Moebow
« on: August 17, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »
Way back in 1965 my dad and mom gave me a 40# Shakespeare Wonder-bow,a few arrows, and a glove.  Other than my uncle showing me how to put a nock set on the string, I pretty much learned to shoot by trial and error.

I will say I have never been completely satisfied with my shooting, always trying to get better. And recently trying to learn to shoot a Hill style bow has been well, frustrating.

So today I finally did what I have been considering for a couple of years.  I called Arne Moe and asked if I could come over and have him critique my shooting. He graciously said to come on over.  So this morning I made the 3 hour drive, and came home this afternoon.

What a genuinely nice guy!  We spent a couple of hours together shooting and talking about our experiences. I learned alot about the mechanics of a good shot sequence and now hopefully I will be more able to diagnose what happened when my shooting isn’t as good as it should be.

I can’t say enough about what a great ambassador of archery Arne is!  I thoroughly enjoyed every minute shooting my longbow with him.
Thanks again, Arne.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A really good day Thanks Moebow
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 09:49:01 PM »
i really like seeing stories like this one...kinda restores my faith in humanity :thumbsup:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 10:27:39 PM »
Here's a little story that involves Arne.  A couple years ago my grandson had a college buddy who had shot my grandson's bow a few times and decided he wanted to bowhunt.  I built a 70" ASL for him that came to about 45# at 29" and of course a bit more at his 30" draw.  A bit on the heavy side but he and my grandson are both very strong men who at the time were playing college football.

So, when I started the bow I told him that while he was waiting for it to get on youtube and watch all of Arne's instructional videos.  I told him NOT to watch anything else and NOT to seek out shooting advice from anybody.  Just study Arne!

So he did just that and within six weeks of getting his bow he was driving six woodies consistently into a six inch circle at 20 yards.  He didn't get a shot at an elk but did get a shot at a coyote at 15 yards and put the arrow right into the engine room.

So, it speaks for Arne's knowledge and ability to convey it.  And, also for the concept of picking out a singular method and sticking with it.  Don't go "shopping around" for one method after another or mix them up to create your own unique style.  Just focus on one method and keep at it.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 08:39:38 AM »
A real pleasure meeting and working with you yesterday, Gary!!  You already had a pretty good shot and we just needed to refine it a little.  :archer2:

Monterey, Excellent advice!!  There are many good techniques out there for improving an archer's shot.  One not necessarily better than another.  BUT!  I do see many that try to "mix and match" different techniques and end up with a mess.  The old saying about "too many cooks (coaches/techniques) in the kitchen spoils the broth" comes to mind.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 09:22:00 AM »
Nice.  Did you meet at Itasca Archery Supply? 

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 09:45:47 AM »
I would also like to spend some time with Arne. The only problem is that it would take a lot longer than one day to sort out my many flaws.
Sam

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »
I called ahead, Arne meet me at a gas station then we went to the Grand Rapids sportsmen club (I think that's what it is called). A nice place they had various stations for gun shooting and a nice indoor range for archery.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 01:32:22 PM »
Actually it is the Grand Rapids Archers, archery club house with 18 lanes for 20 yard shooting.  Great indoor range for a small town!!  Located on the Grand Rapids Gun Club's trap and skeet range property.

Sam, and any others,  All anyone has to do is get to me and you can have all the time you want if we get together on a schedule.  For Sam, I'd think with a trip from Georgia you'd want to spend at least a couple days for a trip that long. :dunno:

Anyway, again, thanks for the kind words, I'm available to try to help if you want.  OH! And I NEVER charge for instruction; your cost is simply the travel and time to get here. :archer:

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 11:09:03 PM »
Arne what's your YouTube channel? I would love to watch some of your videos!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 07:28:57 AM »
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Bisch

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 12:14:48 PM »
I’ve never met Arne, but he has unknowingly helped me a lot with his videos. It would be awesome to be able to spend a few days up there getting some one on one instruction; advice!!!!

Bisch

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 12:25:26 PM »
I may have just made your life a little more hectic, Arne :biglaugh:

When I left, I mentioned this was probably not the last time he would see me.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 07:56:48 PM »
Any time Gary!!  This is what I like to do.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline starshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 01:14:17 PM »
You might find me at his club one of these days. The airlines I hear are pretty fast lol. TX to MN..
Seriously , I have been studying his video on shooting form for months and if nothing else ,I have become more aware of back tension and alignment as it has made a big difference. Kudos to Arnie and I second all the good comments made here. Thanks!
64” Howard Hill “Redman”  46” @26”
66” Jet Archery “Jaguar” 42#@ 26”
52” Java Man “Helms Deep”  41#@ 26”

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©