3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stalking boots  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Colin06

• Trad Bowhunter
Stalking boots
« on: August 19, 2018, 02:41:25 PM »
Hi, I would like to ask for any recommendations for a pair of good stalking boots with quiet soles. The boots I have now make tons of noise when I'm walking or trying to stalk.
The terrain I hunt on is mostly small rocks and stones on roads like logging roads in a very dry and arid area (Southern France). Temps around 90° in September and dropping to around -2° in December and January
I am considering trying some crepe soled ankle boots with extra woollen socks during the colder months but wondered if any of you guys have found any good boots that would work as well as or even better than the crepe soles to be able to move quietly
Even when I walk slowly and carefully and try to avoid the rocks and stones (which is an impossibility in this area), they still make loads of crunching noise
I understand that it's impossible to move quietly over certain types of terrain, but I want to minimise the noise my footwear is creating on the rocks and stones
Thanks

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stalking boots
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 02:47:02 PM »
I really like my 16" Maine hunting boot from LL  Bean.  They don't have a crepe sole, but the rubber sole is soft.

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,
Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 03:16:02 PM »
For dryer, warmer conditions don't forget a good old pair of chuck Taylor style canvas sneakers! Fred bear even wore them sometimes! LL Bean boots are good too!

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 03:42:03 PM »
You might look at Steger Mukluks.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 03:56:12 PM »
LL Bean hunting boots, the older the better.  :thumbsup:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

pavan

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 04:13:27 PM »
I didn't know there was bow hunting in southern France, cool.  A friend swears by his super expensive moccasins, that he had crepe soles added to.  They are very nice, but i will never tell him that.  Once when stalking a decent 8 pointer with about 80 yards to go, he stepped on a downed tree limb that he must have thought that he couldn't go around or step over.  It blew up like dead wood fireworks.  The 8 point buck spun in his direction and came straight at him like a Spanish bull.  He missed it at short yardage.  When it came towards me, I blew on my fawn call to slow him down, but instead, he threw it into full turbo charged over drive, so I saved myself an arrow and let him pass.  Noise and still hunting, crunching snow and crunching gravel will always alert deer.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 05:23:20 PM »
Ive been meaning to get some materials together to make some nice moccasins for early season stalks. Late season i just still hunt usually which means my lacrosse alpha burly's. I really do need to find something for that in between temp where its too cold for moccasins but not cold enough for the big lacrosse
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »
We use Jesus sneakers , that's what we call them anyways . They are a 3/4 inch thick felt that is made into a sandal that goes over your boots very quite in rocks and gravel I think you could make a pair . There is also a slip on for over your boots called Bear paw or something like that and they work good and are maybe lighter than the sandals we have in our packs .

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 10:19:01 PM »
We use Jesus sneakers , that's what we call them anyways . They are a 3/4 inch thick felt that is made into a sandal that goes over your boots very quite in rocks and gravel I think you could make a pair . There is also a slip on for over your boots called Bear paw or something like that and they work good and are maybe lighter than the sandals we have in our packs .
Pse use to sell something like that back in the 90's called sneaky pete feet. We use to sell a bunch of them out of the shop. You could get them with either felt or wool soles
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

pavan

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 11:30:41 PM »
I have gone on canoe trips with felt wading soles glued to my portage boots.   That stuff sticks to wet rocks better than anything.  On a pair of light canvas ankle high boots, they could work pretty good.

Online HOGLESS2

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 09:15:57 AM »
L.L. Bean gum soles

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 12:20:50 PM »
Bare feet.  No boots required.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Colin06

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 12:43:25 PM »
Actually been looking into toughening my feet but don't have the time plus in winter, I'd imagine barefoot is no fun

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 04:36:14 PM »
Colin - it's much easier than you'd think.  It just takes a little getting used to.  Once you take your shoes off, you feel everything and it's overwhelming at first -- like going from a room of total silence to a busy subway station.  But after a while, you learn to focus your attention on some things while ignoring most of the input.  Some skin toughening is needed but most of it is psychological.  One thing is for sure, if you go barefoot much, you learn to pay better attention to where you step and you step more gently.  Every now and then, I'll pick up something sharp, like a stiff, dry pine needle.  But you'd be surprised at what you can walk on comfortably once you've learned to do it.

All the same, I've also hunted & stalked while wearing vibram's Five Finger shoes.  Goofy as they come but it's the next best thing to being barefoot while offering you some level of protection.  If you step on something sharp, they will keep you from bleeding but not from swearing.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 06:05:24 PM »
Stalking has never been my strong suit, as I clump like an elephant. Plus, I always wear snake boots. Yet, the soft soles on my snake boots are actually very quiet. They are just as quiet as my Bean boots. I would never, ever consider barefoot.
Sam

Offline Colin06

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 08:42:32 PM »
Thanks guys. Considering whether climbing shoes or those shoes people use when going swimming from a rocky beach might work. The soles are thin and pretty soft

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 08:52:55 PM »
Wrestling shoes work pretty good.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 10:50:12 PM »
Forget about climbing shoes; they're terrible for walking. In my climbing days, we'd often clip a pair of sneakers to our harness to wear if we needed to walk around and down a cliff when we topped out from the climb.

Offline k9bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 12:10:34 PM »
Go into the website for Sodhoppers moccasins. Some of the best "final stalk" footwear made.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 01:02:16 PM »
X2 on checking out the Sodhoppers. Pricey, but superb.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©