Author Topic: Looking for plans to build a template sander  (Read 6964 times)

Offline arachnid

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for plans to build a template sander
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 11:49:39 PM »
WOW thanks for the detaild explanation  Fujimo.  That's really great of you.
I'll try to make the modification, just need to find the time.

I'll keep you posted once it's done.

Offline arachnid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2018, 12:00:14 AM »
Can you explain a bit about the insert/collar combo you made? Seems to be made of metal

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2018, 01:08:48 AM »
yes it is, i had a friend turn it on his lathe- its simply made from normal mild steel.
 i will take some extra pics of it for you.
thats the only part that cost anything- $70 canadian.
I drilled the dust extraction holes in it.

it needs to fit in the recess quite snugly- but not so tight that you cant remove it-
it needs to be snug so that it doesnt move when you are pressing against it- otherwise the grind will not be accurate

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 02:01:39 AM »
heres a trick- mine was slightly, very slightly loose- so i  took a sharp center punch and marked 6 evenly spaced points- and i went around the side and just popped a centerpunch at each mark.
that made it fit perfectly.
 just a trick my dad taught me - he is a millwright.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »
so i took the sleeve off this morning,
then i remembered there was also a spacer sleeve/ bushing i put in there- its to fill the gap from the shoulder on the shaft where the  sleeve used to sit on, to the sleeves new height- basically the thickness of the collar piece.

like i said before - i had to shorten the rubber sleeve about maybe 10mm or sop- so that i still had thread to put the top nut on.

you can see the insert is pretty thick under the surface.

note.
the extra collar/ bushing i put on the shaft is just what we call a tap fit, its not a press fit- so you can tap it on with just a piece of pipe, i also set it in place with some thread locker, not really needed, as when you tighten the top nut on the sleeve it all holds it together tightly.

the bush needs to be just proud of the insert, so that the rubber sleeve can turn without binding against the non turning rub collar insert.
and the slip on bushing needs to be clear of the insert - so it too doesnt bind when its rotating.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2018, 03:01:46 PM »
here are the pics

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2018, 03:28:19 PM »
insert

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 04:15:16 PM »
insert side view

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2018, 07:45:50 PM »
i must say, shredds idea is quite a good one, if one had a drill press.
i like the idea of the bottom bearing in the plywood table- that will save the drills arbor, which is not designed for side thrust.
a very good and simple solution. the only other issue i might see is the spindle speed being a bit low, but at least you would be less likely to burn the wood, and just take a little more time doing it.
after all this is for fun, and not a race i guess :thumbsup:

Offline C. Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 08:14:39 AM »
Fujimo,

Your modified spindle sander is truly impressive.  If mine had been that sophisticated, I'm sure I'd still be using it.

If you don't mind, I'm going to show this thread to my friendly neighborhood gunsmith and see if he can machine a bump stop like yours.  Is that a bearing in the center of it?

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2018, 01:34:49 PM »
you are absolutely welcome to use it as much as you would like mate.

yea- that center bit does look like a bearing :)
but its not, its a solid bushing that is snugly fitted to the shaft, its not what is called a press fit, ie would need a hydraulic  press to install, but its what they call an "interference fit", so it can be simply just tapped lightly into place- i used a piece of pipe that slipped over the spindle- and i just tapped it lightly , and it moved the bush down the spindle shaft till it was seated on the shoulder that is on the shaft. that shoulder is what the rubber spindle would have pressed against, in the old mode.

this bushing is to give the rubber spindle something to sit on and press against- otherwise it would just bind up against the rub collar insert.
Remember,  that little press on bush is actually proud of the insert by a fraction, so that the washer on the underside of the rubber spindle- spins freely of the insert- and there is clearance between the bushing and the rub collar isert, so that when the spindle rotates it doent rub on the rub collar insert.........clear as mud???? :goldtooth:

if someone wanted a spindle sander set up like this, and they paid for the sander- and the bit of machining that i have to get someone else to do, and the shipping of the completed unit to them,  i could do a detailed buildalong for everyone on here, and then send them the finished unit.
it sure would be a cheap , convenient way for a person to get a template sander.
i would also show a detailed explanation of how to build the templates

bearing in mind of course, that as soon as we fiddle with a new machine, we void the warranty, but the parts are all interchangeable- and could be transferred to the next unit, if need be.

these spindle sanders seem to be pretty generic.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:43:13 PM by fujimo »

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2018, 01:39:13 PM »
the big trick with this template sander, is that the rub collar is not spinning with the spindle- as that spinning can wear the template down in a heartbeat, kinda like a faulty bearing on a router bit- now, thats something i learnt the hard way :bigsmyl:

with nothing turning, and the plexiglass being the template- it slides around nice and smoothly, doesnt hang up, its hard wearing enough, but yet is still easy enough to sand and get to perfect shape

Offline arachnid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2018, 09:16:37 AM »

Offline C. Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2018, 09:26:43 AM »
I found this link
https://www.finewoodworking.com/2012/07/18/make-duplicate-curves-with-a-spindle-sander

Seem very simple, I wonder if it`ll work

This is basically what I did.  It doesn't work all that well.

Offline arachnid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2018, 09:28:32 AM »
I found this link
https://www.finewoodworking.com/2012/07/18/make-duplicate-curves-with-a-spindle-sander

Why not?
What where the problems?

Offline C. Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2018, 12:13:31 PM »
I found this link

Why not?
What where the problems?

The challenges were keeping the board to which the rub collar is mounted at 90 degrees to the spindle and keeping the rub collar from being pushed into the spindle.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2018, 04:40:48 PM »
hey Craig<
 did you get a chance to get your gunny to look at the part- i can get some more specific measurements if it would help him

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2018, 08:10:05 PM »
Wayne,
I may get with you on those rub collars.  I’m torn between doing that, or just having someone machine me something similar to the robo sander for my drill press.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline C. Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2018, 08:13:45 PM »
hey Craig<
 did you get a chance to get your gunny to look at the part- i can get some more specific measurements if it would help him

I'll be seeing him this weekend.  Fortunately for me, my friendly neighborhood gunsmith is also my dad. ;)

He's semi retired now, but doesn't seem to building archery related jigs, devices, and contraptions for me.  I'll just have to see what he wants to build it out of (5051 aluminum probably) and then order the necessary material.  Unless he has something in his vast scrap pile. We'll see.

Don't worry, it isn't one sided.  I'll be plumbing a new bathroom in their basement soon. ;)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2018, 09:32:46 PM »
yup craig, she all goes around!! :thumbsup:

bvas- just holler if there is anything i can do to help :wavey:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©