3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GPS Recommendation  (Read 805 times)

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
GPS Recommendation
« on: March 26, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
HELP this flatlander out. I live in Illinois and will be going to the mountains of Idaho this September on my first elk hunt.

I am looking for a recommendation for a GPS for the trip.  It does not have to be the best available, but I do want one that is a solid performer.

Thanks,

Rick

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GPS Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
Rick,

I am fond of the Garmin's.  I currently use a Garmin  etrex Legend and for the most part it works well.  The size is convenient, light weight.  It does not have much RAM (8 mb) in it, so if you want topo maps loaded, you have to be choosy.  I don't like the resolution of the Garmin Mapsource software as it leaves out too much info and out here that is not a good thing.  I carry a hard copy topo of the area I am going and use the GPS with it.

If you have the money, I would go with the Garmin GPS Map76CS or CSX.  They have a better antenna system and when you are in wet weather under a dense canopy or in a deep canyon, this will make a difference.  This unit also is capable of using microSD cards to expand memory options.  It is a little larger than the Legend but someday I will have one.

ABOVE ALL ELSE:  Always carry extra batteries and a compass!  When the chips   :eek:   are down, you will be glad for it.

Where will you be hunting in Idaho?  I used to live in the Clearwater drainage but I am now in the desert of So. Idaho.  Have a great hunt!!!

Ray
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
I bought a garmin etrex vista CX with 64 mb chip 2 years ago for an elk hunt in Idaho.  I think it is perfect.  I use the mapsouce software.  It has since been with me on hunts in oregon, michigan, here in indiana and quebec.  I have found mapsouce to be as accurate as quad maps and in some case more accurate that the quads which I still do carry for wherever I am hunting.  I can say enough good about them.  When I do upgrade this one I know that I will be getting another garmin. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
I second what Dino said!!  I have the same setup and it works great for anything I need if for!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »
I have the 76CS and the Vista HCX and would recommend the Vista for sure. It is much smaller and performs just as well as the 76 does. Look around and you can find it relatively cheap.

Good luck

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
If you are looking for a GPS/radio combo go with one of the Rino's. They are now out in HCX as well.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
I recently purchased the Garmin 60CSx. It has an upgraded 1 GB card and does get great reception in heavy cover.  I agree with Mapsource maps. At first I was a little unhappy that you couldn't load other map programs on it...but not after looking at the Mapsource maps.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
I've had my Garmin Etrex for probably 5 years now and have never had a complaint.  My buddy has a Lowrance Ifinder Hunt which would probably do the dishes if he knew how to program it.  Both are great.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
I have a couple of Magellans that work great my understanding is that they have a better reception for the sats. I even get a signal inside the house. Sportrac Pro

Offline Baffinland Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
I've been using GPS for close to 20 years both on land at at sea. I have even taught a few seminars to neophyte navigaors. I am not saying all of this to blow my horn, only to illustrate that I have dabbled with these things a lot over the years and so have a bit of experience on what works and what does not.

My advice is to go with a Garmin and in particular the 76S or 76CS or CSX. Garmin is a proven model, works well under even marginal conditions and best of all....really really best of all, it is user-friendly. Failing that, the Garmin 12XL is an excellent compact model, although I am not certain if they are still being produced.

As already mentioned by Ray, carry an extra set or two of batteries. Suggest lithium batteries as they last significantly longer and stand up to the cold far better than ordinary batteries. On that note, cold weather will kill your batteries very quickly, especially with the power-consumptive GPS.

While you are at it, purchase the computer program "Map Source" which is great for manipulating data on your GPS via your computer.

Finally, I concur with Ray. Carry a compass and a map. The one thing about electronics is that when they fail, they fail absolutely.

my two bits' worth.

Robert

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
I have a Garmin etrex legand and the map source hardware.I am very pleased with it and it does everything I need,but when it gives up the ghost I'll spend a little more and up grade and stay with Garmin.The bad part is I'm pretty comfortable with this one now and don't have to go to the book too often.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
This worth looking into , I worked in one of the largest hunting and bowhunting stores in Louisiana, They just got back from market and there is so much new technology just coming out ...easier features ...etc...take ur time...I will have me 2 new ones myself soon...great topic..Mark
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Rick,

The Garmin Rino 530 is a nice high end unit that has the weather channel, is a two way radio, and has a feature that will broadcast your position to a friend or hunt buddy via the two way radio.  As with anything electronic if it does everything it's more complicated to master than a unit that does little in the way of function features.  

I personally like th Garmin Rino 530, your mileage may vary...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
I'm on my third Garmin, two summits (outdated not broken) and now the Vista HCX (2008). The new vista is fantastic, you can download all topos into unit and the HCX option has the new antenna and it works in the basement never mind under a canopy in woods. Up here the bush never ends and I trust my life to Garmin regularly. The Vista HCX has my vote.
hunt it

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Garmin Etrex legend. Looking to upgrade to a 76cs for the color graphics and to use for driving and boating in addition to hunting.

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
If you are buying Garmin look for the "H" in the name. ie Vista HCx. It indicates a high sensitivity antenna and makes a huge difference. I have the Vista HCx and for me it's a best buy.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »
A lot of good information here - thanks!!!  I need to sort through it all.  

While we are talking about various GPS units - is there a good place to buy them from?

Rick

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
iv got the Garmin Vista HCx awesome unit. very easy to use, picks up signal where lots of others dont.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
I will never own another one without electronic compass! With out it the unit has no idea where it is unles it is in motion. And at a good pace I might add. This is very impractical when in thick cover or trying to be quite and attentive. I believe the HCX is the one I currently have my eyes on.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
Rick,
Good luck with the elk.  Bought my Garmin Geko 210 last year, my fourth GPS.  I use them quite a lot for hunting as well as geocaching.  Can't say enough about GArmins in general, but I really love this geko.  Very small, does everything I want it to... gets great readings everywhere I take it, and it was cheap.  It doesn't have mapping capability, no biggie since I always have a map with me (so should you, with the GPS grip marked).  It also isn't color, which also isn't a biggie because it doesn't have the mapping.  Another thing to think about, get one that has the same batteries as your camera and or flashlight.  It makes carrying spares that much easier and less weight.  The geko is AAA batts, most others are AA.  
GPS units are good for a lot of things, but still make sure you are proficient in map and compass.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©