3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrows and poi changes  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrows and poi changes
« on: August 23, 2018, 11:53:22 PM »
So ive got a question for yall reguarding wood arrows. Does anyone notice a poi change when the temperature outside changes? Ive been shooting woods the last few weeks and one thing ive noticed is from the hottest day (94°) to the coolest (55° last night with my lights on outside) my left and rights vary a decent bit. Up and down doesnt change much but the cooler it is the more left i shoot. Just messing around i put 2 of my shafts outside in the sun on hot concrete (my ir thermometer read 82°) and 2 shafts in my cold bedroom which is 60°. After they sat for about a half hour i ran out to shoot. The 2 warm arrows hit good windage and elevation wise, the 2 cold arrows hit about 8" left and 2" low.
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

pavan

Re: Wood arrows and poi changes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 02:20:41 AM »
Theoretically wood can get stiffer, a little bit, with a wide temperature change, like from 90 degrees to below zero.  Even at those extremes I have not seen much difference with my arrows.  I shoot 1918s and Surewoods that are the same weight and spine, from summer to winter they fly the same.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 04:15:22 AM »
At first i was just thinking it was my bow as it warmed up it would start shooting back where it should but i had been shooting a good deal yesterday with 2 arrows and decided to grab a couple more from inside the house and thats when i noticed the 2 from the cool room would shoot left for about 10 minutes till they warmed up then they hit right with the others afterwards. Its weird because my other woods dont do it, just the new ones i got from rose city.

pavan

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 04:27:58 AM »
Is the eye of the grain of the wood arrow in line with the nock and the string?

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 05:06:46 AM »
The grain on this set goes all different directions

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 06:28:23 AM »
If I remember correctly your previous post talked about these being your first wood arrows. Excuse me if you already know, but wood arrows should have grain run out (arrow-like grain) on the top and bottom of the shaft when nocked, and relatively straight lines on the sides running down the length of the arrow. The straight grain should be perpendicular to the riser. I can't imagine a reputable company like Rose City selling arrows with runout all over the shaft, but stranger things have happened.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 06:33:45 AM »
Looking at the dozen i have 4 with the grain run out on top and bottom when nocked, 3 have the grain run out on the sides when nocked and the remaining 5 shafts the run out is angled

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 06:59:52 AM »
Looking at the dozen i have 4 with the grain run out on top and bottom when nocked, 3 have the grain run out on the sides when nocked and the remaining 5 shafts the run out is angled

That isn't good.

They all should be like the first 4 you mentioned.

The last 5 sound like poor shafts.

Remove the nocks from the 3 with the run out on the side and reinstall the nocks properly like the first 4 are.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 07:04:57 AM »
Ive got one of the shafts where i can follow the grain from the runout on one side to a runout on the other side about 5 inches down, grain cuts across the shaft at about a 20° angle. Ill try the nock trick and see how those shafts react.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 07:21:54 AM »
Ive got one of the shafts where i can follow the grain from the runout on one side to a runout on the other side about 5 inches down, grain cuts across the shaft at about a 20° angle.

I would break that one over my knee.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 07:25:52 AM »
Ive got one of the shafts where i can follow the grain from the runout on one side to a runout on the other side about 5 inches down, grain cuts across the shaft at about a 20° angle.

I would break that one over my knee.
that bad huh lol

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 07:32:34 AM »
Better over the knee than through the arm  :biglaugh:
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 07:38:01 AM »
This is what can happen with a bad wooden arrow, or a good wooden arrow that hit a tree or rock and got cracked, or a good arrow that the nock was aligned the wrong way..

Even a cracked carbon arrow is bad news.

Always inspect your arrows before shooting.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 08:07:49 AM »
You paid good money for a set of arrows.  I would talk to the seller and see if they would make it right before changing nocks, breaking them over my knee, or anything else.  Pictures would be good.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 10:36:55 AM »
The technical term is "slope of grain", and any slope of grain that crosses the shaft from one side to the other in a few inches of length is dangerous! This seriously weakens the shaft, and it can shear off when shot or on impact. Slope of grain also makes it difficult to keep the shaft straight.

I've shot wood exclusively for the last couple of decades, and I've never noticed an influence on impact point relative to temperature. High temperatures can affect the bow, though.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 11:26:14 AM »
I have never noticed any significant change in point of impact based on temperature. My shooting tends to vary in temps ranging from the 90's to the 40's, which is a significant difference but nothing like some of the northern and western shooters experience. I try to avoid the extreme grain run out on my arrows but have had a few. When I was younger, it never crossed my mind how dangerous this could be; however, I never had a problem. As I gained experience, I learned to avoid shafts  with great run out. I do try to keep the grain lines perpendicular to the string, as it is stronger. In my opinion it gives a more consistent spine measurement. At the 15 - 20 range I will be shooting, this is not enough of a problem to worry about. The shots will still strike in the proverbial pie plate.
Sam

pavan

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 01:55:35 PM »
Hoosy, are you the guy that posted pics of a set of arrows with all different colored fletching?  If so, is this that set?  For your next set of arrows I would like to suggest a can of water based wipe on poly, a tube of Duco, a basic taper tool, some left wing feathers, a basic fletcher, some 5/16" Mercury nocks, and a dozen tapered shafts from Wapiti Archery, let them pick the spine.  Either that or if you ever pass near here, let me know and we will put a set together that flies perfect for you.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 02:23:01 PM »
Yep this is the set that is all different colors. The arrows are mismatched colors but spine and weight was all fairly consistent. I bought them off rose city's sale page. They were suppose to be 28.5" bop but when i received them the box was marked 27.5" and they measure out 27.5". I really cant complain much as they cost barely more than what the dozen broadheads cost. I got them to get me into some woodies till i could get the time to build my own.

pavan

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 02:30:49 PM »
If some one has not told you already, you need to identify the shafts that do not have the the eyes inline with the bow string and replace the nocks and position them so the eye of grain is inline with the throat of the nock and and the side or straight grain is in line with the nock index.  Forget about the feather position for now. If you have a choice in the runout, if the eye of the grain runout near the point has the feathered end and showing cross grains going to the point, put that on top. that way if the shaft is very bad the arrow will scoot up if it breaks and not down into your hand.  It is unlikely that would happen, but it is the standard safety precaution.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 02:41:12 PM »
That makes sense pavan. Ill pull the nocks and put new ones on with the grain running the correct direction. Going into my first set of woods i was curious if there was a certain way to orient the grain so i went with rose city since they were an established business. Figured my safest route was to get arrows from someone who knows what they were doing

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©