3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New bow, cosmetics issue: some perspective appreciated  (Read 2257 times)

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New bow, cosmetics issue: some perspective appreciated
« on: August 24, 2018, 01:00:50 PM »
Just received a new, in-stock bow from a well respected bowyer yesterday after work. Shoots just fine, but there is what seems to me a noticeable blemish: Belly side of upper limb has some "milky" spots, which I know is common, but there is a long straight line of it running most of the length of the limb. I doubt this would have any effect on performance, but I'd like to hear how you might look at the issue.
Like I said, bow was not custom for me, but purchased new at full price.

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New bow, cosmetics issue: some perspective appreciated
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 01:05:26 PM »
New at full price, bowyer needs to make right unless it was bought “as is”. If not, send it back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 01:30:32 PM »
if its a white streak in the fiberglass, thats common these days. is it a dark vaneer under glass?
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 01:38:21 PM »
I believe that you should be letting the bowyer know of your concerns.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 01:40:03 PM »
New at full price, bowyer needs to make right unless it was bought “as is”. If not, send it back!

+1, only I would probably just call him and tell him I wanted to send it back for a refund, for the reason you stated.  At that point, if he volunteers to knock $100-$200 off the price, I would consider it.  I wouldn't bring that up myself, though. If he doesn't offer you a discount for the blemish, then just ask for a refund.  If the blemish was caused by the fiberglass rather than the finish, it might not be a simple fix.

All bowyers should inspect their bows before they ship them.  I have had several bowyers tell me in advance about some blemish they found, and offer to knock something off the price or at least offer to let me send it back at their expense if I didn't like the bow.  In both cases I kept the bows.  In one case the blemish was so minor I wouldn't have even noticed it on my own.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
New bow, cosmetics issue: some perspective appreciated
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 01:40:06 PM »
It should have been communicated by the seller that the bow was in less than perfect condition. And at least a discount offered. That said most of, if not all of our sponsors are first class and should make good. Not sure about others. I’ve got a number of bows in that condition and don’t mind it but I too would want a heads up upon purchase.

Macatawa

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 01:42:38 PM »
I believe that you should be letting the bowyer know of your concerns.

Yes sir!
Always the first step
 :archer:

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 01:48:47 PM »
I don't believe I have ever had a bow with clear glass that did not have some degree of white blemish in the limbs. If it is too much of a blemish for you to live with I'd just send it back and try again.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 02:06:20 PM »
It is a whitish streak, on dark veneer under clear glass. Just never seen that in a long straight line; I don't know whether it's from the finish or the glass.
I'm inclined to go with the general suggestion of letting the bowyer know, and seeing get his opinion on the matter.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 02:08:50 PM »
I feel your pain. I bought a bow with beautiful veneers. I got the bow and the belly side top and bottom had horrible streaks the length of the limb. I like the bow,but would not get another one. Bowyers can sort through glass. I have a number of Big Jim bows,and none of them even have a hint of streaking.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 05:04:37 PM »
I had a longbow once that was a reputable make and it developed 2 glass cracks on the belly and back of both limbs top to bottom. Ugly it was but I shot it forever like that.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 09:07:49 PM »
That could be the reason it was a stock bow.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 10:01:09 PM »
There was a long period of time where it was difficult to get clear glass for bows that didn't have streaks. Most bowyer's were frustrated with it. Not sure if anything has changed. I imagine it's hard to hide imperfections in darker limbs.

Some bowyer's are better at recognizing these imperfections in the glass before they lay up the bow
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »
 Was it that way when you bought it ? Or, did that happen while shooting ? If you bought it that way, they may or may not take it back. If it happened while shooting, I'd call them and tell them it's on it's way back.

arrow30

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 02:58:15 PM »
just cover it up with a camo sleeve so you don't see it, that's what I did. if it aint cracked don't worry about it.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 04:34:10 PM »
The bow maker should always be the very first person contacted about something like this.  Clear glass can be a problem and often the blemish does not show up until  the tape is removed from the limb late along in the build as I understand it.  I prefer colored glass any way.  :)
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 08:33:11 AM »
I have two bows in my inventory at LifeCycle Gear that have cosmetic flaws. I always describe the flaws on the website and verify that the customer understands the presence of a cosmetic flaw before shipping. I also discount bows by 10-20% depending on the flaw.

White spots or streaks with clear glass are common, but that doesn't mean you  should pay full price.

I agree with others that contacting the bowyer is the first, best step.

Best of luck and let me know if I can help in anyway.

Ron
Your Forest, Your Bow, Your Adventure!

www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 11:34:38 PM »
Not having any idea of how bad the blemishes are in your bow, it's hard to say what level you have received and what should be considered a discountable offense. At any rate, the bowyer should offer at the very least a refund even if the bow was perfect.

It is impossible to say who notices what and what has become acceptible. I will say that I haven't produced a bow in years that I didn't find imperfections in the glass. Only on rare ocasions have the customers ever said they noticed.
I buy and inspect the same glass that everyone else does. I even switched to the new super clear and absolutlely perfect glass... It is obvious to me that my reading glasses are better than many others who toubt this new glass as perfect. It is nice, but far from perfect.

It is impossible to find all the "bad" blemishes before glue up. Again, bowyers should offer info up front or at least replacement.

I needed to build a gloss bow with dark veneers. I agonized over this build and the second build, and the third build and the fourth build!!!  All the previous bows looked beautiful in satin and yes, you could see a glass streak or two.
 Finally I finished a bow that I thought was somewhat acceptable but cringed at the thought of shipping it. The customer was very pleased... even said it was the most beautiful bow he had ever seen! … but I didn't see that.

If you (meaning anyone..not necessarily the author of this post) are looking for a perfect bow, I know that I can't build one. 

I guess I could switch to colored glass. Have you ever noticed that no one complains how streaky it is... and it's bad!  I guess it's ok to have streaks on colored bows.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©