3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grouse  (Read 2564 times)

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Grouse
« on: August 25, 2018, 03:11:46 PM »
What heads do you guys out west have the best luck with. The area I'm going elk hunting next week is supposed to have a good grouse population and I love to eat em'.  I've used judos before with so so performance. Just wondering what you think works best.

Thanks, John
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grouse
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 03:28:51 PM »
Hey John,for years I used regular blunts,now I Use hexheads and really like them,my broad heads weigh 175 grains and screw in hexheads also come in 175.there a lot easier getting in and out of quivers than Judo’s.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 04:02:36 PM »
It kinda depends on the weight bow you're shooting and the species of grouse. A 50ish recurve and ruffed grouse you should be good with just about anything. For the bigger blues I'd consider an old broadhead like a Bodkin.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 04:41:38 PM »
I’ll be using a 55# recurve for blues. I thought about some old snuffers but I do have some hex heads, judos and small game thumpers. 
Thanks

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 05:24:38 PM »
I’ll have VPA small game thumpers on my grouse arrows. Six days til elk camp and grouse are sounding tasty.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 05:36:13 PM »
Hex-heads, VPA's, or old broadheads.  Only grouse I've ever shot were spruce grouse.  I watched one take a solid shot to the breast from a 65# longbow with a 600+ grain arrow and a rubber blunt.  The bird fell a few feet then righted itself and flew off.  Several birds were lost to rubber blunts and judos and 60+# bows.  I hit one in the head with a rubber blunt from a 66# longbow.  Thought I took it's head off, I had to chase it down.  Incredibly tough birds in my limited experience.

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 08:19:00 PM »
VPA for me. I am using a 60# Toelke Pika If you can shoot them in then back they don't go far.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:14:20 AM by Broken Arrows »
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

GCook

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 09:34:24 PM »
Cheap broadheads work best on them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 11:12:24 PM »

Just shoot em in the head like my wife and it don't matter which head you use! We use old broadheads or VPA Blunts, I just ordered some of those Forge Converta Blunts from Three Rivers, will hopefully see how they work soon!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 11:30:46 PM »
I use the same broadhead I’m using for elk and deer.  When I first started hunting a couple of blues flew away with my judo tipped arrows and have used broad-heads since.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 09:35:35 AM »

Just shoot em in the head like my wife and it don't matter which head you use! We use old broadheads or VPA Blunts, I just ordered some of those Forge Converta Blunts from Three Rivers, will hopefully see how they work soon!

That’s the way to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »
I use cheap broad heads and file three grooves in each side with a chainsaw file to make it a little more deadly.  I have a ton of eclipse that seem to work great.  I was tired of sticking blues and not putting them down.  The hit to kill ratio is pretty much 100 for me now. 

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 10:56:46 AM »
I think the hex head would be just about the best although I've never used it . I
ve shot them with blunts , judo heads and broadheads and I think the most I have shot was with a rubber blunt I guess I was just lucky cause I never had one that didn't just drop dead on impact .I don't care for a judo  as a close miss can rip an animal open with the wires and they escape .
  They are sure good to eat cooked up in a nice gravy with mushrooms , celery and onions and served on a bed of rice .

pavan

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »
For pheasants, I try to use free three blade hi-precisions, but last year the 3 Rivers Hammers worked good for me.  When i lived out east I used just plain blunts on ruffed grouse with fairly heavy bows, I didn't lose any that i hit, but the arrows did penetrate through them and i did not hit any of the fliers. 

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 05:10:30 PM »
Small Game Thumpers! Don't risk damaging your well sharpened Elk/Deer broadhead on a miss, plus a good strategy on a treed grouse is to line up the trunk of the tree behind the bird so if you do miss your arrow doesn't go into orbit! Do that with a broadhead and it'll be stuck in the tree...
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Schafer Silvertip Longbow 60@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 07:14:02 PM »
I've only shot one spruce grouse, so not a lot of experience. I put a wing nut, wings forward, behind a field point. I thought it was pretty devastating out of my 50lb Super Kodiak.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 08:04:57 PM »
Thanks for the input fellas. I'll give a report and hopefully some pics when I return. With any luck maybe some Elk pics too.

John

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2018, 10:11:07 PM »
John,
We used hex heads and went for head shots or in the back as the spruce grouse ambled off. We ate plenty in both Montana and Colorado. Early morning and late evening they were tougher to approach, but early afternoon they seem sluggish and unwilling to fly.

Good luck on your hunt. Please do share some pics with us! :pray: :archer2:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©