3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making it simple  (Read 3487 times)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Making it simple
« on: August 25, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »
I guess this could  be considered stirring the pot, or trolling.  You  can be the judge.

I try to never tell people what they should shoot, because I really don't care what someone else chooses to use.  Plenty of animals have been killed by all manner of bow, heavy and light.  I do see people sometimes making grandiose claims regarding what is good enough for anything in North America,  with no real experience shooting heavily shielded boars, and that can be annoying, but in general I like to let people come to their own conclusions.

That being said, there are always tons of threads regarding which broadhead to use, how do I get a certain weight arrow, maximize FOC, and all manner of things.  There is a way to make things quite a bit more simple.  If you are physically able, an able bodied hunter could train and get comfortable with a more energetic setup (higher poundage, more efficient, etc..) and really not have to worry about most of those issues.  I am fortunate in that regard, because I can handle moderate weight bows very well (because I put the effort in and I am a little larger than average), and hunt with bows anywhere from the low 50's to the lower 80# range, but still normally hunt with bows in the upper 50's to mid 60's at around 29.5".  This has allowed me to pretty much use whatever broadhead/arrow combination that I want, and really only need to file sharpen any of them, and be very succesful.

Once again, I am not telling anyone what to do, or what is ethical.  I am just saying that there are some options out there that make things alot more simple, even if they require some effort.  Then you can have more time to spend on hunting or thinking about hunting, rather than doing mental masturbation over whether or not your setup will work.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:44:56 PM by pdk25 »

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making it simple
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 03:51:21 PM »
I think most of these threads are just a symptom of cabin fever in between seasons. Some people are just tinkerers by nature and like to try lots of things. I say try, discus,and ask as much as they want.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 05:34:42 PM »
Amen.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 09:51:06 PM »
Well said Patrick  :thumbsup:
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Bisch

Making it simple
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 11:31:52 PM »
I am a firm believer that a guy who is going to hunt should hunt with the most draw weight he can shoot accurately in a hunting situation.

For me, that is 50#! I’ve tried heavier, and it just don’t work for me. I’ve killed and recovered a few big shielded pigs, I shot and lost a few. Out of the ones I’ve lost, most every one was because I hit too high up in the shield. Of those, I do believe a high percentage died. I just couldn’t find them because I did not get 2 holes, and there was no visible blood trail to follow.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 12:02:20 AM »
Yep.  Lack of 2 holes will get you sometimes for sure.  And this post wasn't meant to insult anyone regarding the equipment they use.  Just to point out that there are options available for some, so that they don't have to be quite so concerned with some of the issues I mentioned.  Heck, there are guys like Robert Carter that have killed an unbelievable number of game with ligher setups than that.  I think he normally shoots in the upper 40's at 27".  I am not in his class and don't want to put words in his mouth, but I believe that he as previously said that if he ran into a large boar, he would not use a large broadhead, and routinely uses heavy arrows.  All I am saying is, that if you are able to train up to and shoot a more energetic setup well under hunting conditions, some of those constraints go away.  It is fairly liberating.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 03:17:21 PM by pdk25 »

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
Making it simple
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 06:06:20 AM »
I agree with the above mentioned. Good advice. For me, it’s about what purpose and what makes a hunter confident. I’m a minimalist and I’m not into tinkering but I shoot everyday and I know my strengths and weaknesses. I have shot wood since the 80’s but I mainly only hunt Whitetail and turkeys. I like to keep it simple because to me that’s what Trad is about and I’m not going to rack my brain with the physics of arrow flight and penetration. However I can see how guys need to do these calculations on bigger and more dangerous game. I’ve only killed a few hogs in my life but that was years ago with a centerfire so I can’t comment on hogs with Archery tackle. I’ll leave that to the experts on here. When I was in my 20’s hunting Maine, Pa, Wva, Illinois and Ohio on a annual bases I felt I had to shoot 80 lbs. Now at 43 I’m comfortable on most bows in the 55-60lb range. I’m not sure how well my woodies would work on hogs or moose but I have enough confidence in my gear that I would probably hunt with my same set up for most game in North America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 07:47:13 AM »
Come to think of it, my 65# longbow DOES shoot a lot flatter trajectory than any of my 47-55# set-ups.... and packs quite a wallop when it hits, too. This is a good point, as long as people don't fool themselves into thinking that they're more capable at those heavier weights than they really are (I had that issue when I first started getting into archery). And no one can argue with your results, Pat.

(BTW, I almost choked on my breakfast sandwich when I got to the end of the original post....  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:  )

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 08:13:29 AM »
I don't post much but I read most posts that are written. With all the debate and or information about all the different setups, I feel it is great for the person that may not have the funds to experiment with every setup. They can chose one and run with it and be more successful right out of the gate.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 08:52:19 AM »
I like to listen to the different podcast interviews across the country. I always smile when they interview a hunter who has proven themselves time and time again. When come down to "Tell us about your set up". The hunter goes on to explain what they shoot, how long they been shooting it, and how they dont like to tinker.  Then the host seems to be in utter disbelief that is what they are shooting.  I love Trad Gang and the podcasts, but sometimes i scratch my head. Big difference between tuning and constant tinkering. I have been guilty.  Great thread Pat!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 09:05:09 AM »
Good post Pat, I'm not disagreeing with you because I believe it's what you were also trying to include. But I think you were implying both bows being equal as far as properly tuned arrows. 

I think proper tuning is more important than weight and would rather have a properly tuned 45 lb bow over an improperly tuned 100 lb bow.

I also think the bigger issue is guys who get a wobble in their arrow suddenly think it's a tuning issue and start to tinker. I think it's often the case, if it was tuned good to start, and the brace height hasn't changed, you next need to check form before "fixing" arrows.

Sorry to take your thread on a hijack your.  This all goes back to shoot what works. Shoot as much weight as you are comfortable and accurate with. People have a way of making things much harder than they need to be. 
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 09:53:12 AM »
Lol.  No worries.  To be clear, I think you always should strive to have straight flying arrows, although good luck with that in a crosswind.  Another topic, lol

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 11:05:54 AM »
My ignorance forced me to pursue the kiss approach. 2 bows one with cedars topped with razor heads. The other has xx75 2016 tipped with Nugent blades. I'm drawing 27 at 55. I tinkered with brace ht and nock points and feel they are pretty well gtg. I practice daily at 20 so 15 will be easy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is it deer season yet?

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 02:19:43 PM »
I think most of these threads are just a symptom of cabin fever in between seasons. Some people are just tinkerers by nature and like to try lots of things. I say try, discus,and ask as much as they want.

Well said.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 07:47:41 PM »
Over the course of time and personal events I have had to reduce my bow weights from 55+ down into the upper 40's. 

In doing so I have not changed my personal requirements on performance relative to arrows and bow.  I do still have one R/D long bow at 52 lbs and shoot it when I can but most of what is left of my hunting goes to those upper 40 class bows. 

My arrows are exclusively Old AD stingers and Trad Lites.  with BH's matched and a good FOC so that arrow weight and speed meet my criteria.  My set up's are tuned as good as they can be and shoot as such when I do my part.

I am a happy camper
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 08:06:43 PM »
Best to be good with what ya got rather than use something you cain't handle well.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 08:14:25 PM »
I think some people, myself included, like to understand all working dynamics the bow and arrow as well as the hunting aspects.   If its not your cup of tea then leave it be like you said.  I don't understand why you don't care what other people do, yet feel inclined to say its not worth there time because YOU think its not important.  These threads aren't helpful.  All the ones you described are.  I've learned from them tremendously as well as others.  These threads seem so negative and worthless.  Heres to learning :deadhorse:

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2018, 09:09:00 PM »
Im a pretty strong guy. Been lifting for 25 years or so. Highest bench press raw was 415lbs. Having said that, I see no reason to shoot heavy bows. My two widows are 53 and 57 and I shoot the 53 90 percent of the time. A 615 grain arrow penetrates like a bullet from both bows. Killed pigs, bears, and deer. My only penetration issues have been caused by broadhead choice. Dumped the tree sharks and now have no more problems.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 09:31:52 PM »
I think some people, myself included, like to understand all working dynamics the bow and arrow as well as the hunting aspects.   If its not your cup of tea then leave it be like you said.  I don't understand why you don't care what other people do, yet feel inclined to say its not worth there time because YOU think its not important.  These threads aren't helpful.  All the ones you described are.  I've learned from them tremendously as well as others.  These threads seem so negative and worthless.  Heres to learning :deadhorse:

Reading is fundamental.  I never said anything about what is important to someone else or called something worthless.  I am merely stating that there is an option available so you don't have to worry about whether or not your setup is good enough.  You don't have to chose that option, and some people physically can't.  Alot of folks don't feel like putting in the effort to get comfortable with a more energetic setup.  Others are worried about long term damage, even though there isn't good evidence to support that theory.  Choose what you want, but the option is there. There will likely be a time where I need to shoot a less energetic setup, and then I will need to worry alot more about what broadheads and arrows that I have to use.  It just isn't the case right now, and believe that alot of others are in the same boat.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:44:14 PM by pdk25 »

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2018, 09:38:20 PM »
Im a pretty strong guy. Been lifting for 25 years or so. Highest bench press raw was 415lbs. Having said that, I see no reason to shoot heavy bows. My two widows are 53 and 57 and I shoot the 53 90 percent of the time. A 615 grain arrow penetrates like a bullet from both bows. Killed pigs, bears, and deer. My only penetration issues have been caused by broadhead choice. Dumped the tree sharks and now have no more problems.

And I guess that is my point.  While I don't consider your setup to be light,  you could opt to get comfortable with a setup where you wouldn't have to worry about penetration with a treeshark.  Just saying it is an option.  Might not be worth the effort  for you if your only limitation is not shooting treesharks.  The heavy lifting of my youth didn't really translate into shooting trad bows.  I had to work at it, and it can be challenging to find the time to keep up with the heavy weights, but I still manage, even while working long hours and 7 days a week.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:03:52 AM by pdk25 »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©