3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What to do in/around Anchorage, AK?  (Read 1857 times)

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
What to do in/around Anchorage, AK?
« on: August 25, 2018, 10:47:28 PM »
I’m being subpoenaed to testify in court in Anchorage during the week of September 10th. I don’t have a lot of time to plan stuff and will likely be busy in the mornings but the afternoons/evenings I’ll be free to do as I please. The wife cannot join me. What are things that y’all might recommend in the area?
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What to do in/around Anchorage, AK?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 01:07:50 AM »
I was laid over there for a few days in 2012. I went to the Smithsonian’s Arctic Studies exhibit at the Anchorage Museum and it was well worth it. https://www.anchoragemuseum.org/visit/smithsonian-arctic-studies-center/ Besides that and not having any connections in town, I ate salmon and halibut at every meal.

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 09:57:14 AM »

Go catch some Salmon
   Drive and Glass Sheep
   Go call to a Moose
   Take a Helicopter ride to Seward and Back.
   Look for Whales
   Enjoy the scenery
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 10:10:48 AM »
To go Talkeetna and take a flight over and around Denali with K2 Air. It's beyond words and worth taking an extra day of needed.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 07:54:36 PM »
Take a simple drive down the Turnagain Arm to portage glacier...very scenic drive with a visitor center. Maybe 3-4 hrs for a leisurely round trip.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 05:09:43 PM »
If u have a vehicle take a drive to Whittier its only about an hour away from Anchorage. Beautiful scenery.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

FLXTrad

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 08:38:40 PM »
Just got back from there. Take a flight to Homer (Ravn Air, under $200) and chase salmon. Silvers should still be present in the Anchor River. Have a fish fry at Captain Patty's, and a brew at Grace Ridge Brewing Co. and top it off with dessert at Two Sisters Bakery. Homer is the coolest town on the peninsula IMHO.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 05:40:31 AM »
Rent a car and head south to the Kenai peninsula.  Seward is pretty cool, and there's a nice glacier visit.  The drive down to Homer is a bit long but well worth it.  The little town of Hope offers good fishing. 
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 06:25:46 AM »
Breakfast at Snow City Café downtown. I recommend the Ship Creek (eggs) Benedict. Visit 10th & M Seafoods and ship a box home. Hang out at The Lakefront near the airport and shoot some pics or video of floaters taking off or landing. Drive anywhere outside town, but down Turnagain Arm is phenomenal. Maybe visit the cool town of Girdwood and pay homage to Jay Massey. Visit the Harley dealer in Anchorage and buy a unique t-shirt. Go to 49th State Brewing Co downtown. Sit on the rooftop deck and eat (stupendous burgers) or just have a cold beer. I like their 907 lager. Visit any museum or cultural center in town. Find an area taxidermist and go visit for a bit of inspiration. Avoid the chintzy downtown arts and souvenirs stores which feed off tourists and bus mobs.

Offline 76Aggie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »
I have to 2nd Kevin's suggestions on going to The Lakefront as well as the 49th State Brewing Co.  If the weather is nice, both facilities have outside dining. 
They both have inside facilities as well.  At The Lakefront you can sit on the patio and watch float planes take off and land almost all day long on weekends.  I have heard that lake is the largest floatplane facility in the world.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 01:48:56 PM »
First, especially if you have never been to Alaska, extend you trip for a few extra days. Take advantage of anything and everything your pocketbook will allow. Everything mentioned above is well worth doing. Who knows, you might never get back. :banghead: :thumbsup:

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 01:07:49 PM »
The Native American Heritage center off north Muldoon is fascinating. The best burger in town is at the Roadrunner, where you can eat outside and watch salmon in the little river that runs by, if they're running. For some really good eats, the Paris Cafe is famous beyond Alaska, with the best filet you ever tasted. You might be able to see Beluga whales in Cook inlet when the tide and the salmon are running. Marijuana is legal there, and the shops are interesting to see. If you indulge, be careful, the stuff they grow up there is super potent. Be prepared to spend some bucks wherever you go; everything is expensive. Watch out for moose and bears! Both are commonly seen in town. If you can wrangle a couple of extra days, I highly recommend going to Denali National Park if the weather is clear (picture), and the Kenai Peninsula for fishing and the sights. Along the way to Homer, detour to Hope, which is a tiny town on Resurrection Creek full of historical old homes, and go to Seward too. For a shorter trip in an afternoon, Girdwood on Turnagain Arm south of town has the world's lowest elevation ski lodge, and the gondola ride to the top gives you a view of six glaciers. I've made three trips to Anchorage, and I hope to go back. I spent the past June there. Don't forget your longjohns; September can get cold!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 01:43:30 PM »
Jeepers no need for a travel agent, now I want to go.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 02:46:59 PM »
Fish for halibut out of Seward or Homer. This is Seward.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 02:48:36 PM »
...or salmon.

Offline johnm856

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 09:52:48 PM »
We always make a point to visit Moose’s Tooth for pizza. The smoked salmon spread there is a must.

Also Humpy’s for halibut. F Street Station for eggs Benedict (Sundays only if I recall correctly) and bloody marys.

The aviation museum is a favorite stop for me as well

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 10:06:23 PM »
If you do as FLXTrad says, get ahold of me. I live in Anchor point. bring a bow and we can spend a day thumping spruce grouse.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 11:12:55 PM »
If you do as FLXTrad says, get ahold of me. I live in Anchor point. bring a bow and we can spend a day thumping spruce grouse.

I really wish I could but unfortunately it’ll be an in and out trip. I have some business on Monday morning. I’m a witness being subpoenaed for Tuesday-Thursday. Friday I fly home and have more business to take care of on Saturday morning. My only free time will be nights unless I’m released early from duty. If circumstances were any different I’d absolutely love to go grouse hunting with you but I’m not sure I’ll be able to make that happen this go around.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©