Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: I'm Back - great hunt  (Read 26046 times)

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm Back - great hunt
« on: August 29, 2018, 03:39:22 PM »
Wow what a hunt.  I can't say enough good things about Makalaan Safaris.  Antonie and Melinda were great hosts and the hunting was super.

I harvested:
Zebra, Impala, Kudu, Gemsbuck, Wildbeest and Worthog.  Still had time for 3 days of seeing some of the game parks.  Took a lot of photos and ate the wildgame every meal.  It was the trip of a life time.  If anyone has thought about going to Namibia, I would highly recommend Makalaan Safaris.

When I get more time, I will have to ask for some help to post some photos.

Just wanted to thank everyone here for their assistance with all my questions.  I will also send the Shot Placement books back.  FYI - 4 of the 6 animals I took were heart shots.  Antonie kept telling me that I could shoot a little higher and still be OK, however these shots were perfect.  So, now all the dumb animals are gone, the rest of you will have to hunt the smart ones. ha

Thanks ALL!!!!  Will ask for help when I get time to post photos.  Maybe I need to send them to someone and let them post for me?
Gene

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm Back - great hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 05:53:45 PM »
Congratulations Gene! Sounds like a fantastic hunt. I can't wait to see the photos, sorry I am no help with posting them.

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 06:55:50 PM »
Wow, that’s a dream list...congrats!
You have to give more details than this this though...

BTW, I’ve yet to see a dumb zebra..

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 09:50:59 PM »
Glad to see you back, and happy you had a good hunt.  Look forward to hearing the details.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 04:55:16 PM »
Had a wonderful hunt.  All the bags arrived without any problem. Took two bags with a bow and dozen arrows in each bag.  The flight to Namibia was LOOOONG.  Was suppose to go from Denver to JFK, then to Joburg then Windhoek Namibia.  Well flight from Denver to JFK got canceled.  Had to go from Denver to LA then clear back to JFK and on to Joburg.
First day of hunt -
Had nice Eland bull come in, but I hadn't planned of shooting one, so let him pass.  Got to save something for next time I guess.  Next some Zebra came in.  I was told do not shoot the stallion.  When the stallion dies, his subordant will then become fertile and take over the herd.  However he will kill the foals of the previous stallion.  So I shot a nice "dry" mare.  Usually we wait for an hour before tracking.  My tracker took off after 10 minutes, but told me to stay.  He came back about 10 minutes later with his head down.  I was feeling poor about the shot.  Might have been a little low in the shoulder.  He walks up and says "DEAD", then smiles.  After loading and transporting Zebra to camp, I went back to hunt again.  Next some nice Impala came in and I got a shot off at a nice bull.  I saw him run off to about 100 yards into the trees with arrow out both sides.  That shot was also a little low and I was worried again.  Tracker took off and came back in a few minutes - "DEAD" and another smile.  Wow, two animals in the first day.  I have photos of all this, if I can get some help loading them???? Help?  Day 2 coming soon

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »
Thought I would mention, I was shooting a 70 lb takedown recurve.  Have been shooting it for probably 25 years now.  Also using Gold Tip shafts with 100 gr. brass inserts and 200 gr. Rocky Mountain Cuttroats single bevel heads.  This is my first experience with these heads and I was really impressed.  Got them from Rock Mountain Speciality shop and they touch them up to razor sharpness.  I had plenty of bow power and great arrow setup for all the animals I shot.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 05:21:19 AM »
Looking forward to the pictures! I knew you would love it.

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 03:59:45 AM »
Welcome back, and congratulations on a great time.  Hopefully you will be able to post pictures. Nice shooting, and I am sure that Antonie was very pleased to not have to do any long tracking.  I passed on an a pair of Eland bulls at  midday after taking a cow, and they told me that I passed on the chance of a lifetime as they just don't usually do that.  Never saw them again, but the cow had big old long horns and I was happy enough...but had the same reaction: ya gotta leave something for next time.
Which of the game meat did you find to your best liking: I ate quite a bit of gemsbok while there, but I think that eland was probably the best, while admittedly enjoying all of it

Planning next trip yet?

Steve
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 05:42:34 PM »
We ate wild game every meal - like you said, a lot of gemsbuck and kudu.  Really I loved it all.  My wife is very picky about what she eats, but she also loved it all.

Day 2 - A nice herd of Kudu came in with one really nice bull.  As I was looking them over from the pit blind, my tracker gave me the thumbs up again and whispered "Nice bull".  I took my time and waited for a good broadside shot.  I was so excited to be looking as such a nice animal this close.  I placed an arrow on the string and began a slow draw, when the tip of my bow touched the top of the blind, which was metal.  The animals spooked and jumped about 10 feet and stool looking around.  What a stupid mistake by me, but I was really excited and didn't notice the clearance problem.  I was shoot a 62" bow and I stand 6' 2".  The Kudu settled down and stepped back closer.  I checked the bow clearance and then bend down some for more clearance.  I came to full draw and looked at the top of the shoulder.  I don't remember the string release, but saw the arrow strike.  The it was like a bomb went off and animals ran every where.  I turned and my tracker "Donutas" said "Good Shot".  I felt the shot was a little low and expressed my opinion.  He shoot his head and said again "Good Shot".  We waited about 10 minutes and he took off tracking.  My wife and I got out of the blind and walked out to where the Kudu was standing and saw blood everywhere.  Donutas was only gone about 10 minutes and came walking back with both halfs of my arrow.  He walked up and said "DEAD" and got a big smile on his face.  We went out and took photos then had him taken to camp.  Antonie (owner) again said, Gene you can shoot a little higher, BUT that was a perfect shot.  It turned out to be another heart shot.  Antonie had us get back in the blind.  We had lunch, but I couldn't hardly eat anything.  I was still wired from the experience.  I had to settle down quickly as several Gemsbuck came in.  Again, Donutas whispered "Nice Bull" and gave me the thumbs up.  Wow, I was going to get two shots in one day, both at great bulls.  Again I waited for a perfect broadside shot, then let the arrow go.  Donutas told me "Good Shot" again.  However just like the last shot, I felt I was a little low.  Ten minutes later, Donutas was out of the blind and tracking the Gemsbuck.  My wife and I got out of the blind and I was really worried about the low shot.  Donutas came walking back and said "DEAD" and smiled.  We shook hands and he said both were great shots.  As it worked out, the arrows were actually going up hill through the animals, as we were that low in the blind.  Antonie arrived and we took more photos and hauled the Gemsbuck back to camp.  That was enough for me that day.  I just couldn't take more excitement.  I watched as the skinners did their job and they showed my the heart with a nice cut through the middle of it.  I was on a roll!  What a day - I couldn't imagine a better day of an old bowhunter like me.  In fact I had 3 beers that night before supper.

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 07:53:24 PM »
Well, you can not have a better day 2 than that, and I sure hope that you get those pictures posted.  Was this from the grass covered pit blind?  If so then this is a remarkable deja vu as my first animal there was the best kudu seen of the trip and I managed to muff the shot (but fortunately overcame my jitters and took a replacement later on)

looking forward to more stuff AND PICTURES

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 11:11:34 AM »
If you will email me the pictures a couple at a time. I will post them here for you.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 05:14:09 PM »
Day 1 was from the Middle blind.  Day 2 was from the bunker pit blind.  I will double check my journal on what blinds I hunted from.  I kept a daily journal.  Think my "tracker" thought I was crazy, as when animals would walk off, I would grab the book and make a note of what animals, how many and what time, and date.  Each day took probably 6-8 pages of journal.  However, I have learned that a person will forget some items and it is always good to write things down.  It is fun to re-read after a few months or years.  Feels like you are reliving it again.  Also helps when I write for magazines.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 05:33:21 PM »
Sent you a PM Mike - need your email address to send photos.  I have 6 photos of the animals that I got.

Thanks for your help!

Gene

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 11:26:16 PM »
Nothing unusual about a diary, that I can think of.  I have a  diary for each of my trips, and I bet they detail every animal in and out with descriptions and times for days on end. I described meals, weather, birds, and my own thoughts for hours and days.  It all blends together so quickly that it is hard to remember even from one day to the next. It is a more personal record than the trophies and the photos. Just remember how many months you prepared and thought about little else: that little book holds a record of all those moments that went by so quickly.  BTW,unless you have a household full of mounts, consider shoulder mounts for as many of your animals as you can afford. You won't be sorry.  I am delighted with my mounts, and I would be happy to hook you up with my taxidermist but he is in New Jersey.   

Steve 

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »
Day 3 - hunted from the "Old Homestead" elevated blind today.  Lots of animals came in throughout the day.  I took so many photos and video.  My wife also was taking photos and the click on her shutter spooked a few animals, but they returned.  Donatus was still burning Zebra dung to cover our scent.  Had some Kudu cows come in and water, then left when some Warthogs arrived.  Also had a jackel come in, but pigs would not let him close to the water.  I had an arrow ready to shoot him, but he stood at about 50 yards out.  About an hour later some Wildbeets cows came in from the right side of the blind and watered and left.  Was a slow period of about 1/2 hr before a nice Gemsbuck came in from directly in front of the blind.  I sure would have liked to shoot another one as they are so beautiful, but just took photos.  Shortly after lunch a group of 5 Kudu bulls came in.  They had been standing out in the brush for a while pushing each other around.  It was quite a site to see that many nice Kudu bulls in front of me.  If I hadn't already shot one, I would have had a hard time picking which one to shoot as all were good bulls.  After they left a garffi came in.  It was really fun to watch him spread his legs and get low enough for water.  After each drink, he would get his legs back under him and stand licking his lips.  I really wanted to laugh at times.  He was there for 30 minutes.  At one point I looked to my left and behind the blind and there was a larger one about 50 yards out just watching.  Late that afternoon a nice Blue Wildbeest came in.  He was all alone and had no problem walking right into water.  I looked behind me and Donatus (tracker) had a smile on his face and was giving me the thumbs up and whispering "Nice Bull".  I got an arrow on the string and checked for clearance on my bow limbs.  Everything was good.  Looked at my wife and said, "I going to shoot him", she smiled and nodded.  I took time to focus on a spot then drew my bow.  After sitting for a while, I usually have a little strain on the shoulders drawing the 70 lbs.  Not this time, the string came back with ease.  I locked on to a spot in the middle of the shoulder and released.  The shaft diappeared and he was bucking across the open ground.  Reminded my of my rodeo days on a bare back horse.  I watch as he entered the heavy brush and picked a spot for tracking.  Within 10 minutes Donatus was out on the track.  He picked up my arrow about 10 yards from where the animal stood when shot.  He continued into the brush.  My wife and I climbed down from the blind and waited.  I walked out and saw a really good blood trail.  Again, I was afraid that the shot was a little low, but had faith.  Donatus returned within 5 minutes with "DEAD" and another smile.  He had called Antonie and reported the kill.  We walked into the brush about 30 yards and there he was.  Donatus had already positioned him for photos.  Antonie arrived and we took photos.  It was just nearly dusk and some of the photos were a little dark.  I have to compliment Antonie as every camera we handed him, he knew how to operate.  Think he took at least 15 - 20 photos on each camera.  Repositioning the animal and moving to different angles.  We loaded the Gnu and headed for camp.  Again I watch the skinners do their job.  They take the hide off faster than I can get undressed for bed.  They opened the animal and we checked where the arrow went.  Again, right thru the heart.  Wow, 3 days and 5 animals shot.  Antonie told me that I still had 5 more days to hunt but only needed a Warthog, unless I decided to shoot something else.  He suggested taking a few days off and visiting a couple of the National Parks on Safari.  I agreed, as we had already planned of this.  After traveling this far, I really wanted to spend some time seeing the country.  So for the next 3 days, we traveled and spend some great time with our hosts.  They had already reserved lodging for us in a huge wall tent ( this is a 5 star tent) with beautiful bedding and bath.  We also boarded a bid double decker boat and went up river to watch the Water Buffalo, Hippo's and Crocks.  Had a wonderful and a great supper by the river that evening.  I might mention we were camped within 30 yards of the river.  That night I awoke to a sound and sat up and listened.  I thought it was my wife snoring, but it was the hippo's in the river.  I had to smile, then rolled over for a good nights sleep.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 02:46:34 PM »

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 02:47:22 PM »

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR