3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Samick discovery riser  (Read 10176 times)

Offline MPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
Samick discovery riser
« on: September 02, 2018, 01:01:20 PM »
I have been looking at the new samick discovery ILF riser has anyone shoot one of these yet?

Online 3R Shooter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Samick discovery riser
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 11:36:48 AM »
I have one of these set up on the range. Anything you want to know about them in particular? We also have a YouTube video we just put out.

I work for 3Rivers Archery as the President.
 www.3RiversArchery.com

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 02:15:48 PM »
I have one that I used for a Manitoba bear hunt in May.  No issues with it at all.  A chocolate- colored bruin was impressed by it enough to ride along home with me.  What is it that you want to know about it?   

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 02:59:17 PM »
It is certainly a good looking riser especially in brown. Possibly the best looking metal riser I have ever seen. Looking over the stats it is made of the stiffer aluminum and weighs 1.8 lbs. Plus it is less than $300... it looks like a favorable choice.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 03:05:34 PM by bigbadjon »
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Oscar-eleven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 07:21:36 PM »
I have one set up with an old pair of 3 Rivers ILF longbow limbs. I'm pleased with it, nice shooter.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 09:38:58 PM by Oscar-eleven »

Online 3R Shooter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »
I'm glad to see some people on here that have shot with them. I'd LOVE if any/all of you would write a review for the bow or riser on the 3Rivers web site. It really helps other people.

If you are willing to write a review, here are some links to the pages:
complete bow: https://www.3riversarchery.com/samick-discovery-ilf-recurve-bow.html
Riser only: https://www.3riversarchery.com/samick-discovery-17-ilf-riser.html

Knobby, congrats on the bear! I'd love to see it. Have you posted pictures of it anywhere? Some of the best meat I ate was from my bear. Really small guy, so sure that helped, but it was amazing to eat.
I work for 3Rivers Archery as the President.
 www.3RiversArchery.com

Offline MPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 07:37:35 PM »
I have been looking at the new samick discovery ILF riser has anyone shoot one of these yet?
just want to hear opinion from people that shoot them.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 05:57:12 PM »
This is my first venture into the ILF world, even though most of my bows are takedowns. The ILF rigging doesn't seem to be an issue like I was wary of. Non-factor. I like the riser because it does what I bought it to do. It hunts. I don't "baby" my hunting tools and this is no different. (I should be a field-tester for outdoor gear) It has held up just fine. I only wish I could find rubber boots that held up as well. I like the grip that's provided with the riser but out of curiosity I removed the grip and wrapped it with tennis racket wrap. I liked the small grip even more, so I stuck with it. I like the appearance and styling of the riser, though wood riser shooters may have a different opinion. I have no issue with a metal riser. I also have no issue with equipping the bow with a bolt-on single sight pin, which is why I bought a metal riser. (My greatest short-coming despite over 40 years of bowhunting is finding a spot on an animal; the pin helps me.) I've never done an equipment review and wouldn't know where to start so all I can give you  is my opinion. I tagged a black bear in the Spring and filled an antlerless tag yesterday morning. It does what I ask of it and I would think that others would be happy with it, too. Sorry I can't give a better comparison to other metal-risered ILF bows. Good luck this season and stay safe!

Offline Oscar-eleven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 10:17:25 AM »
I'll try some recurve limbs on my Discovery riser in the next couple of days. Need to make a string first.

Offline Oscar-eleven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 05:33:13 PM »

I had to make 2 strings, I just assumed it was the same length as my Morrison. I set the tiller even for 3 under and left the shelf set up the same as when I had long bow limbs on. I've had both DAS and Trad Tech both are decent bows and don't see any issues with the Discovery. The limbs that are on it now are Win Win Med. foam cores (old). The arrow is a Beman Hunter 300 with a length 30" and I draw about 29'' with a 200gr point. I'd just make sure you want a 17" riser.

Offline c3hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 10:15:29 PM »
I'm a total newbie to the whole short riser hunting thing, but I'll suggest that the new Discovery I just picked up from 3Riversarchery.com is pretty incredible.

I have a couple really good med. sets of limbs for it.  40 lbs Samick Masters and a set of 46 lbs PSE Xpression limbs (w&w) that work incredible.  I made a 24 strand 452x string at 56" and it's dead on at 7 7/8" brace with a nice number of twists.  Super quite and seems to really zip the arrows out there at my 27.75" draw length.  Being the newbie with this sort of thing I was really surprised that the Xpressions pull 57 lbs at that 27.75" draw !!!

I do have a question on how you guys see the target at shorter distances with a corner of the mouth index finger anchor?  These risers are so short I'm not sure how to shoot it effectively at short range.  I come from the hard core target recurve world and even my 24" risers are right on the edge with an under the chin anchor.  Does everyone shoot with three fingers under to get these types of riser to work?  Anyone ever shot with a one over two under cheek anchor for short distance, corner of the mouth anchor for med distances and under the chin for longer distances?  Is that a crazy idea to try?

Cheers, Pete

Offline Oscar-eleven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »
I shoot 3 fingers under and anchor with my index finger at the corner of my mouth with no problems but I could see this being an issue with lower anchors. I'm entirely self taught and even though I've been shooting a bow for many years I'm reluctant to give you advice on how to shoot. If your willing to experiment try 3 under. You can anchor with your index finger at the corner of your mouth or you middle finger at the corner of your mouth as long as you can find a solid anchor and execute your shot.  Just give it a little time until you feel somewhat comfortable with it. I'd suggest starting with a middle finger anchor. You'll see the biggest change in sight picture with that. Good luck. If I can be any assistance P.M. me or post here again. You'll also want to raise your nocking point to around 1/2" or a little more(3/4) above 90. Good luck.
I will say with the med. WW foam core limbs this bow is very quick.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:46:37 AM by Oscar-eleven »

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
Older topic but I've had my eye on this riser for a while, found a good deal and jumped on it. Primary reason I looked at this riser was I had ILF limbs and needed a riser that I would consider appropriate for hunting, cost was another factor and I wanted a metal riser vs wood.
So far the riser is doing it's job, I'm shooting off the shelf and have built up the side to get the arrow where I want. What I appreciate about the riser is that the limbs although they went up 9 lbs they feel smoother than any other setup and come in just shy of 45 lbs. Great weight to train in and perfect for small game and roving around. Depending on how well I adapt to this setup I may look to get a slightly heavier set of limbs to get me closer to 50 lbs. Overall I think the riser is a great buy for anyone looking to try ILF without going over budget.

Offline Vaquero 45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2022, 12:57:39 PM »
Older thread , but a really good one in my unprofessional opinion.
Last Saturday ordered a new Samick Discovery riser in 21" / muddy oak color .
Read where some seem not to care for the 21"  different design.    I have not of course received it yet , however plan on playing around with some Samick R3's...60" shorts I already have [new] .   Also this week I 'am expecting a set of Nika  N3  68" limbs to mess around  with also .
     I  have a feeling I'am going to like the SD 21" riser .   I  think the 21 you don' t read/ hear that much about because of the success of the 17.
My first Samick riser .   My current ilf metal riser is a WF19  [CD Archery] .     Not even on the 3rvrs site are there any reviews or even questions asked about the 21" er ,  yet .     
    Also I have searched the web just for my interest and have not seen any company's  offering the 21" complete bow for sale like with the R1 or R3's  [yet] .   Anyway new here ,  hello respect etc great day to all.
"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©