3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Goldtip Trad Classic - black footing dumb idea  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Goldtip Trad Classic - black footing dumb idea
« on: September 07, 2018, 07:56:16 PM »
Why did they do that? They have the best finish in the business and right where you need it...they made it black.  How do you point a black arrow in low light conditions? (Painting them make a temporary and less than ideal fix.)

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Goldtip Trad Classic - black footing dumb idea
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 08:17:58 PM »
Don't know?? I don't point with my arrow.
 Seems like plenty of black arrows on the market without complaint.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 09:39:56 PM »
Hmm, never looked at the point of my arrow when shooting. If I did that I might as well put a sight on as I stump shoot with arrows of different lengths. I also have some really nice Acme footed shaft arrows that are footed with Ebony, ( Black ) and never really notice a problem.
Dav

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 09:55:43 PM »
If your fletching them yourself flip'em around backwards so the black is at the nock.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 09:14:06 AM »
Black is actually the most ideal color. True black is very high contrast in nature and reflects little available light. So in low light conditions your arrow will be highly profiled against the surroundings.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline redshedbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 10:44:53 PM »
Why did they do that? They have the best finish in the business and right where you need it...they made it black.  How do you point a black arrow in low light conditions? (Painting them make a temporary and less than ideal fix.)

I have the same arrow.  I noticed difficulty at sunset practicing.  I took one and took sandpaper 150 grit) and took the black off so they are silver.  I remembered Denny Sturgis talking about using white tape for blind hunting.  So with the footing now silver the problem is fixed. 

Part of what I noticed was when the footing was off and I shot with the long stainless steel insert my alignment in darker situations came back.
Here are a few things about me:

I enjoy Hunting, fishing, raising goats, biking and kayaking. Love living life with my wife and 4 kids out in the country.

Here are my bows and such:
~ Black Widow Bows 66" PLX Longbow 47.5@31"  161fps with 600gr arrow
~ St. Patrick Lake Longbows (SwiftStyk ~ 64" (50#@31" = 161fps 600gr arrow)
~ Hitman Traditional Stykbows #1 (Recurve) (63" 52lb @31") ~

GCook

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 10:55:44 PM »
I shoot GT Warriors.  I shoot instinctive so the arrow is not part of the equation.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline redshedbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 11:02:10 PM »
I shoot instintive too.  I however believe that the arrow is always in the mix.  Maybe not gapping, but you know it is there.

If I were to block your arrow with my hand in your peripheral vision you might likely miss.

I enjoy Hunting, fishing, raising goats, biking and kayaking. Love living life with my wife and 4 kids out in the country.

Offline Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 10:10:48 AM »
Most likely not. I have done this with a mix of different length arrows, spined to match at different lengths, no problems. Another thing one can do is shoot in a darkened indoor range with a LED pin point target. Because you loose distance perception it takes a little time to get that right but my groupings were very tight and eventually on target once proprioceptive muscle memory is learned for that distance. Now, YOU may rely more on your arrow but that doesn't mean I do.
Dav

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 10:34:16 AM »
You don't need the sight picture for your form that's why you still group. You do need it for distance, that's why it takes you multiple shots to get get on target in the dark. Whether one actively focuses on it or manipulates it or not, the arrow is a integral part of the sight picture shooting barebow.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in

Offline Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 10:57:42 AM »
How does seeing my arrow help me judge distance? It does not. the reason why distance cannot be judged in the dark is because of the lack of ability to triangulate. Period. It has nothing to do with the arrow. I know people who use the arrow as a reference point. Great. Good for them. Don't tell me I have to. Heck, you have never even shot with me. How would you know. I have been shooting a stick bow for 47 years now, I am pretty sure I know what I do and how I do it.
Dav

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »
I am not presuming to tell you anything, you have already self contradicted. You said it yourself that you can't hit your first shot in the dark, and what is triangulation if not range finding. Whether you use a consious aiming method or not you have already admitted that something in the sight picture is used for aiming, concsious or not
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:07:43 PM by bigbadjon »
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in

Offline Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 12:24:01 PM »
In a complete black room and a pin point light one cannot tell if the target is 5 yards away, 20 yards or 50 yards or more. The issue with missing is related to the arc of the arrow and distance. One does not need the tip of the arrow to adjust for that. In throwing a baseball one does not use any reference analogous to the tip of an arrow for a reference but one does need to know if they are throwing the ball 5 feet or 50 feet. Once the distance is known proprioceptive muscle memory allows one to make the throw. The more one throws the more accurate one becomes. This is one of the reasons for practice. So, no, I did not contradict myself but I do sense you are reading my entries to be right so with this in mind I am sure your are right and thanks for the valuable lesson.
Dav

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 01:23:05 PM »
I'm glad I could educate you. The gentleman who started this thread obviously does reference with his arrow and I'm sure the fact that you don't wasn't exceptionally helpful. I'm just glad somebody learned something.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 04:21:33 PM »
How about a wrap of glow in the dark tape right behind the point.

Offline redshedbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 05:30:45 PM »
I am always amazed how people take the thread in a different direction from the OP and are highly unhelpful and then get pissy about there way of doing things. 

It would be cool if we shared perspective about helping him deal with his specific issue.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 05:39:51 PM »
I remember reading somewhere, I believe in Bows On The Little Delta, that Fred Bear used to scrape the black paint off of his arrows because the silver color underneath was easier for him to see when "gun barreling" the arrow.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 06:35:51 PM »
Be respectful or else you lose posting rights.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 09:04:11 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I should have known it wouldn't go over well. But thats ok.  It just seems as a manufacturer that if some % of traditional archers see the arrow in their sight picture that you would consider that in the arrow finish.
 Now as far as seeing the arrow, I think I improved when one day I decided it's ok to use the arrow for left and right. It's there in my picture, may as well use it. I can not use it for elevation. I just can't see it clearly enough. So I could never be target archer accurate!.
 My ideal arrow would be a GT, .204 ID with their light wood grain color on the front of the shaft. The back 7" would be white. (you could leave it white or use 1 coat of cap dip for other colors). With a GPI of about 9 for a .340 spine.
What would be your ideal carbon shaft?
Tedd

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 03:00:45 AM »
In a complete black room and a pin point light one cannot tell if the target is 5 yards away, 20 yards or 50 yards or more. The issue with missing is related to the arc of the arrow and distance. One does not need the tip of the arrow to adjust for that. In throwing a baseball one does not use any reference analogous to the tip of an arrow for a reference but one does need to know if they are throwing the ball 5 feet or 50 feet. Once the distance is known proprioceptive muscle memory allows one to make the throw. The more one throws the more accurate one becomes. This is one of the reasons for practice. So, no, I did not contradict myself but I do sense you are reading my entries to be right so with this in mind I am sure your are right and thanks for the valuable lesson.
Technically you are right , successful orientation has more to do with peripheral rather than central vision
That said I shoot all black arrows and don't look at the arrow, I look where I want it to go. If I look hard enough it goes right there.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©