3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Horse packing with a longbow  (Read 1437 times)

Offline IndioArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Horse packing with a longbow
« on: September 09, 2018, 11:22:05 PM »
Going on an elk hunt and we are packing in about 12 mikes on horseback. Any tips on transporting a non-takedown longbow?  I’ve packed in with a compound before and a simple scabbard works well, but my compound is about 1/2 the length of my longbow.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Horse packing with a longbow
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 11:48:08 PM »
We used a 4" PVC pipe with screw cap when we hunted Colorado but we had a pack horse and loaded the PVC pipe on the panniers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline boomer453

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 08:23:58 AM »
Carry it in your hand and be ready to throw at the first sign of a trainwreck.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 09:19:22 AM »
I used a rifle scabbard, it worked fine  :thumbsup:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 10:46:04 AM »
When I did a pack-in hunt on horses I just put my bow in a bow sock and carried it in my hand unstrung.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 10:57:33 AM »
I have dozens of horse pack trips behind me over the past 20 years and the easiest safest way I have found to transport a traditional bow and arrows is to use a 2 piece takedown bow and a plains quiver.  I made a leather plains quiver with a fake fur lining for this purpose.  This quiver can hold 2 bows inside wool felt bow socks along with a dozen arrows.  I put a small leather sheath on each broadhead  while in the quiver.  I strap a Great Northern bow quiver on the outside of the quiver.  The whole package will hang neatly on your saddle.  Sometimes if I am not in transit to camp and just riding from base camp to a new hunting area a few miles away I will use this setup and stuff my bugle tube in the quiver as well.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 11:03:47 AM »
I don't like to ride with a pack or anything else on my person.  I hang my day pack and bow/quiver on opposite sides of the saddle for unencumbered riding experience.  Helps to have a trustworthy mule with a great handle.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 09:49:02 AM »
John, I like your mule that's a good looking ride. I think mules are better in the mountains, they're more sure footed than a horse and a more comfortable ride IMO.

This is Big Red, the mule that I rode when I elk hunted in Idaho. He was like sitting in a rocking chair.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:45:12 AM by Ron LaClair »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline WVFarrier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 08:13:36 PM »
I second the PVC tube.  works great
As i walk through the valley of the shadow of death i shall fear no evil, for thou art with me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©