3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow sliding down string upon release video?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Arrow sliding down string upon release video?
« on: September 10, 2018, 07:51:33 AM »
I saw a post once with a super slo-mo video showing an arrow sliding down the string upon release. Now I can find it. I used the search feature without any luck.

Anyone know a link to that video, please?

Thanks.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow sliding down string upon release video?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 08:02:20 AM »
I seen that video years ago also.

I thought it was black widow who did it, but not sure.

I searched youtube but no luck.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:13:04 AM »
Same here, Roy. No luck. I wanted to show it to someone.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Pfranchise

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 10:13:27 AM »
That is it, but I can't get my tablet to play it. :(

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »
Wow, that was quite a bit of a slide.  I use two nocking points for that very reason.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 10:48:38 AM »
Got it to play on the laptop, though!

Thank you!!

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 01:08:37 PM »
Wow, that's pretty crazy. I'd like to see if they had the same thing shooting split.

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »
I shoot 3 under, and have always used two nocks for the reasons given above.  The advice usually given is to space the locator nocks so the arrow nock has a little play so it won’t be pinched at full draw.  I thought this would introduce a little inaccuracy, since the arrow nock would tend to slide down to the bottom locator nock, the same as it would slide down the string if there were no bottom locator nock.  For this reason I try to get the nocks as close together as I can, while still leaving a little play, more a loose fit in between the nocks than actual play.

It now occurs to me that if the arrow nock always slides down to the bottom nock, there would be no inaccuracy because of play, because the arrow nock would always be in the same place when it was shot.  So I wonder if a better plan would be to make sure the fit of the arrow nock on the bowstring is loose, which I guess is generally a good thing anyway, so the arrow nock would always slide down to the bottom locator nock, and then leave a little more play between the two locator nocks?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline MIBIGHNTR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 03:55:17 PM »
So, having said the above, do you have your top finger touching the arrow nock, or the bottom nocking point?

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 06:04:25 PM »
Could be why Howard Hill always placed his arrow nock on top of the nocking point.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 06:47:44 PM »
Could be why Howard Hill always placed his arrow nock on top of the nocking point.
I think I heard that he did that because it was faster to put an arrow on the string and slide it down to the nock than it was to start below the nock. I think that's in the John Schulz video on YouTube. Could be wrong though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:20:12 PM by Trenton G. »

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »
So, having said the above, do you have your top finger touching the arrow nock, or the bottom nocking point?

My top finger touches the bottom of the nocking point.  I believe this gives me more consistent arrow flight. It has an insignificant effect on aiming, as it is maybe 1/8” below the arrow nock. So far, nobody has complained, but of course I’m not competing for a world championship either.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 09:30:27 PM »

I think you are on to something there.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 11:34:25 PM »
When using two nock points (a must for three under shooters) the arrow indexes off the bottom nock.. Therefore, if there is a slight amount of play, it should be insignificant since it is indexing off the bottom nock anyway.

I see many bows with the shelf plate wore out on the outer edge to the point it has damaged the finish on the shelf. I can spot a three under shooter quick that way.. one that isn't using a second nock point that is.

If you put your finger up against the arrow, you risk the chance of torqueing the arrow as many do when they are shooting split finger. I know it is a comfortable feeling and I wish it didn't matter, but it certainly can...I know it does for me.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online flyonline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 04:56:50 AM »
Almost looks like to me that the string slides up, rather than nock down. The nock appears to stay on the glove, but the string goes up on release - more so on the 2nd video.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 11:14:26 AM »
I shoot split finger and have used two tie-on nocking points for 20+ years,just always have!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©