Author Topic: Glue line failure on recurve  (Read 1997 times)

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Glue line failure on recurve
« on: September 10, 2018, 09:26:15 AM »
So what do you guys think. This seems isolated to one recurve I'm not sure if the joint was glue starved or what but I had every surface covered with glue. Anyways. What do you think about me trying to delam this bad side and reglue and put it all back in the hot box which runs around 140°. Or should I just try to salvage my 30$ worth of handle material and start fresh. In this pic I am flexing the recurve to show the crack. This broke loose on first stringing yesterday evening. To confess a little I squeezed some superglue into the crack dried it and drew the bow to 50 pounds on the string with no problems. However when I went to flex just the recurve area that I had super glued this morning it popped loose again.
Looking for any input. Thanks for your time guys.
Ty

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glue line failure on recurve
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 11:00:21 AM »
I'd pry it open a tad and pour thin super glue in it then clamp for a while.

Shredd

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 12:30:38 PM »
Bows like that, I just throw in the corner and start a new one...  Why waste time on the sub-par...  Give it time to stew and you might come up with the right answer for it...  Or There may be a need for it in an experiment or something to do on a rainy day...

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 08:33:45 PM »
did you wipe the glass with solvent before gluing?
and was your shop air conditioned?[assuming recent glue up]
EA-40?---how old?

---bummer by the way!!
Mike

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 09:22:03 PM »
Its hard to diagnose it without being there when you glued it up and being able to see it.

Breaking loose on first stringing and since it didn't break a lam, I would wonder if

1. the glass or lams had contaminants on that area

2. the glue wasn't totally mixed

I would try to save it, but never let anybody have it.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 10:02:11 PM »
I think I would stick a hacksaw blade in the crack and use the smooth side to see if it would separate clear out to the tip. Then reglue with smooth on.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Shredd

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 10:51:14 PM »
I think I would stick a hacksaw blade in the crack and use the smooth side to see if it would separate clear out to the tip. Then reglue with smooth on.

In a perfect world or should I say a static world that could work to some degree...  Bows are not static...  The problem with that fix is that you are not gonna get glue all the way up to where the two lams meet...  So there will be a small spot that will remain unglued... Plus if you do not prep the surfaces properly (which is almost impossible in this situation) , you will be putting new adhesive on top of old adhesive which may have failed and or had a contaminated surface...  I give it a less than 5% chance of working...

The only way I see of possibly salvaging this bow is to take a chance and see if the F/G lam easily separates from the limb and then glue on a new piece...

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 05:46:01 AM »
"I would try to save it, but never let anybody have it."--me too ken

by forcing it open and closed it will "pump" the glue into the tightest spots---the cause [unknown]is the bugaboo---and it could haunt you!!

---unmixed resin is a possible cause that had not occurred to me rich---ea40 is super forgiving--but it must be both parts-and mixed!

---or a big ole thumb print!! it doesn't even have to be yours!i've unpacked brand new lams with visible fingerprints on the ground surfaces

Mike

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 01:58:40 PM »
I appreciate the feedback everyone. These lams were all air blown to clean. However I usually use alchohol wipes for all surfaces, this is the first bow I didn't take that step I think. I know some ppl pass on using chemicals before gluing maybe that was my fubar.
I'm gonna try the hacksaw blade trick and try to separate the glass off to get a better diagnosis. This bow is being made with a friend and it will be his first bow. He has been helping with the build. I have already ordered supplies from Kenny for the replacements just in case  :thumbsup:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 04:13:58 PM »
You already know this but if you get the glass to come off and reglue, be sure to put it back on form to cure.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »
has been my experience---this time of year air hoses can be loaded with water--
Mike

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 08:39:38 PM »
Ok here's what we did.
I went into the thing expecting to delam it through the tip and possibly the whole belly, however the glue that remained was rock solid I couldn't get the crack to pry or wedge open with fairly substantial force considering I have delamed otherwise good limbs before much easier this seemed like a good sign. I decided to clean the crack out as much as possible with what I could reach. Mixed up some fresh ea40. Then with me holding open the delam we shimmied as much as glue down into it then alternated the pumping(flexing) method and blowing it with an airhose to force it in as much as possible. I came out of the experience feeling pretty good actually.  Im feeling 60% success rate thats what I told my buddy im workin with. I also told him i already started the replacement lol. :biglaugh:

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 09:05:48 PM »
60% success but back up started. That’s confidence right there :laughing:

Hope it works for ya and holds together. Make sure ya got the safety gear on when ya test it.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 11:03:58 PM »
I would suspect the EA 40 myself. Three of us bowyers over here , after years of trouble free building have had numerous bows delaminate. Each one the failed area is devoid of any signs of glue , totally dry. We all know our lay up hasn't changed  any way, each lam is well buttered , I even went to the oint of laying an additional bead of epoxy right down the middle, reasoning it would get spread to edges under pressure as extra insurance. air pressures the same, hotbox temps same, lams only cleaned with alcohol. Pre heat lams before lat up etc etc. and still we get failures. I have sent quite a few emaqls to smooth on, and it would appear they don' want to know about it. I am at the stage of seriously considering changing to another epoxy available here, only that its pot life is shorter during layups.Why this is all happening after years of success is a point of conjecture! Especially when there are three of us, and its destroying our heads and our reputations.NOT happy!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©