3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Martin Hatfield II Takedown Recurve ?  (Read 410 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Martin Hatfield II Takedown Recurve ?
« on: March 26, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
Hello,
I have been absent from the traditional world for the past 35 years and am wanting to get back into shooting traditional. I went and looked at a Martin Hatfield II Takedown Recurve this evening. It is 62" and 55lbs at 29 inches draw. Does anyone know what the bow would be worth, and any opinions on it would be appreciated also.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Martin Hatfield II Takedown Recurve ?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
3rivers archery lists the Hatfield at $769.99
Martin online store at $830.00....OUCH!!
you can get a much better bow for 1/2 the price right here on the tradgang classifieds
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
Thanks....Alex
Upon re-reading my post I neglected to say that the bow is  used and is probably about 10 years old. The guy selling it hasn't been able to shoot it for about 3 years now. He said that he strung it up and tried to shoot a few arrows last summer and his shoulder (rotator cuff) just couldn't take it. I also forgot to mention that he told me that I could have it for $50. To be honest, it sounded like one of those deals where things were "Too good to be true". I scanned the bow over (as closely as a rookie could) and couldn't find anything wrong with it. It does have some moleskin on the upper parts of the limbs that he said really cut down on noise, and he had added a stick on quiver mounting bracket and a threaded stabilizer to it but I can easily remove those. I just don't see how I can go wrong for only $50, the only stipulation that he gave me was to give it a good home and to use it. Does this sound like a deal that can be passed up? Probably not.....unless someone posts something that I don't know about, and that is possible because I don't know squat about recurves these days. As I said, I'm just wanting to get back into shooting the way that I started out so many years ago. Thanks for posting and come on fella's.....fill me in on this make and model of bow. I'm all ears.

Winterhawk1960

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
I shot one for 10 or 15 years they are good shooting
bows. The reason I got rid of it was I went to a longbow, buy it.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
50 bucks?unless you are extremly stressed for money i would get it
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
50$$$ ?? well then, the only reason you should NOT buy it, is if it's broke in 1/2   :)
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
Heck yes for 50.00 if she don't work out sell it and go for another and then another and then another...pretty soon you will be right back into it....Welcome to the gang....bowdoc

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
What's his phone number? LOL For $50 you'd be crazy not to. The weight may give you some issues after such a long lay-off but just go slow and work back into it. Most of all, have fun!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
Those are good bows and for $50.00 a real steal!  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
Check it out thouroughly, even with a magnifing glass. Check for limb twist and limb bolt alignment. If it passes muster, grab it and be very, very happy.(nut)  :D    :bigsmyl:    :D
Rich Potter

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
I had a Hatfield with same specs-only 55# at 28 draw and I was very pleased with the bow. It took harsh abuse and was very trustable companion for
seven years...untill someone lowlife stole it some years back...still missing that bow. So my advice is DONT HESITATE, IF SHE IS OKAY JUST BUY HER!! And goncratulations for stepping to the traditional path!
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
They will sell all day long for $350-400.  Get it now!!!!  They are great bows by the way.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
I just got back from picking up the bow. I took some pictures and posted them to my flickr account. I can't for the life of me figure out HOW to post pictures here......SO.....I will leave the link to my flickr account here and anyone that wants to take a look can. PLEASE leave a comment on this thread if you go take a look. I need to clean it up and probably will have some questions as to how to go about that. THANK-YOU....everyone for commenting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/winterhawk/

Winterhawk1960

Offline Ned

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
Wow. You did good. Great bow!

Offline chuck172

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »
Let us know if it has the alignment pins. It takes a 58" dacron string. 3 rivers archery sells them for about 6 bucks. B-50 16 strand.
Make sure you use a bow stringer. Make sure the limbs are snug, not too tight, but not lose when you string the bow. What's your draw length? You'll probably use 2018 or 2117 arrows. You'll need feathers not vanes.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
chuck172......

It has the pins. Actually, it's kinda funny. The guy that I bought it from kept telling me to take it down to a local bowshop and get a fast-flite string put on it. I told him that some of the older bows weren't built to take a fast-flite string and that I was going to ask around before putting one on it. Now I have to get me a few arrows.....and a glove to be able to shoot it. One of my next questions was going to be which arrows should I get, but you already answered me....Thanks. I'm itching to shoot it. It's kinda like a kid having a new toy and he can't play with it yet because ALL the parts aren't there.

Winterhawk1960

Offline chuck172

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
I don't think you need fastflight. Stick with the dacron. The arrows you need will depend on your draw length, we know it's 55#, pt. weight can be 125 to start. Limb pins mean its not the older, less valueable style. You got a great bow there.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
If it is newer than a early 90's which it looks like a FF material will be fine go with a 12 strand D-97 or TS-1. You did very well and now enjoy it!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 02:15:00 AM »
Oh man, just like watching old fiend-zebrawood inlays and all-what you can say about the pictures she is in top condition! I would not risk anything with FF string-those couple of feets
you gain aint worth risking her limb tips I think.
If there is any reason you dont like her, let me know...but as said-congratulations and enjoy the arrows she casts!
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
Contact Martin and give them the ser # they can tell you if it is fast flight or not, then there will be no question. This was my first bow, my wife paid 80.00 at a yard sail. It was an older one with the ball bearings, not the pins, loved that bow i still think about it now and then.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©