3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 5 Pines Farm Giant  (Read 39634 times)

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 5 Pines Farm Giant
« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2018, 12:29:04 PM »
 :coffee: :campfire:

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2018, 01:33:49 PM »
Good luck.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2018, 02:52:33 PM »
Best wishes!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2018, 03:40:40 PM »
Seeing a lot of deer cruising the Last few days. Most of it was at night at the Wausau farm but my little brother has them coming through his field all hours of the day. Good luck Jim
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »
Best of luck Sir! I have a feeling it’s going to happen for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2018, 08:25:38 PM »
the forecast called for the wind to switch to the South and then SW by 11 am . At 11:30 I was in the stand prepping for a long cold sit. It 12 noon ( I never set the trail cam clock back after daylight savings ended) this 3 year old came charging in on top of me

I had heard a 4 wheeler below my property line to the east a few minutes before and I am sure he was running from it.  Every body here drives their 4 wheelers to their stands. They claim the deer pay no attn what so ever . BS!

After that it was a long 6 hours on stand. I saw several fawns , one adult doe and 3 small bucks throughout the day. The temp never got above 22 F. Right at dusk  I heard foot steps and a doe,  a fawn , another doe and a then small buck bringing up the rear strode past.

the wind is to stay out of the SW. i'll be back at the Angus stand hoping for him to show his big rack first thing in the am
Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2018, 08:27:51 PM »

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2018, 08:43:00 PM »
Lol jim, I froze my arse today and didn't see a deer.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2018, 06:39:16 AM »
We are still with you Jim and waiting  :coffee: I actually check this post every day I think like checking a scrape praying just one day Angus is laying horizontal and Jim  :bigsmyl:

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2018, 07:31:18 AM »
We are still with you Jim and waiting  :coffee: I actually check this post every day I think like checking a scrape praying just one day Angus is laying horizontal and Jim  :bigsmyl:

X2. I check this post daily.. I can’t wait till the pics come!! Great thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2018, 06:57:57 PM »
 :biglaugh:

guys you make a cold man laugh.
long cold day in the Angus stand. Saw 8 diiferent bucks be fore 11 am. 2 were absolute pigs but no shot opps except for a spike buck and a button buck.

tomoorw it is going to 14 above at sunrise.. brrrr........................

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2018, 07:46:23 PM »
Jim Dress warmly and get back out there and "Fight " a good fight! Suck it in and don't let Angus get the best of you .We know you are two tuff competitors trying to out smart the other but we have faith in you so rest up tonight and do your homework on which stand to sit in and give it all you got...We are on the sidelines cheering you on :clapper: and waiting  :archer:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2018, 08:47:35 PM »
 :campfire: :coffee: :campfire: :coffee: :campfire:

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: November 12, 2018, 06:02:32 AM »
  This Angus buck for some unknown reason reminds me of the late Legendary comedian story's  Mr. Jerry Clower once told and one the funniest I had the pleasure to hear  called "Knock em out John"but instead of John we have Jim. So go"knock him out Jim" ! Some of you older guys here knew of Old Jerry and his hunting story's I'm sure  :laughing:

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2018, 08:09:53 PM »
the last three days have been brutal. January temps in the am and December highs in the PM. I have logged over 30 hours in tree stands since Monday am.

This morning it was 14 F but with a South wind and it was forecasted to be south all day and eventually getting above freezing!

So at sunrise I was in the Angus stand and my feet never hit the ground until sun down. I didn't see a single deer until 9 am. A doe with twins was coming my way but after 9 days of gun hunting she saw me move slightly and the game was over.

A few minutes later I saw a slammer of a buck but he was 150 yards away and headed North when I needed him headed south. Through out the rest of the day I saw just enough deer to keep me in the tree . But nothing close and no sign of the big guy. There is a buck fawn who is basically living right in this spot. I see him every time I hunt here and today multiple times . At 4 pm he was standing directly beneath me in between the ladder and the tree it is connected to!  Good times !

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: November 14, 2018, 08:13:44 PM »
Plenty of time jim, tomorrow will be a heat wave. Saturday looking like a high of 30 and a north wind by us
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: November 14, 2018, 08:55:57 PM »
We are rooting for your success.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: November 15, 2018, 07:13:39 PM »
It was 14 F and the wind was still this am . I hiked up to the Squirrel's Tail stand and settled in  just before sunrise. It was one of those mornings when you could hear a stick crack at 400 yards. Just after first light there was a roar and then the clash of antlers from the opposite side of the valley. If you have never heard a very agitated pissed off buck roar then you haven't experience the rut at it's fullest.

I grabbed the bino's and searched the opposing hillside for the source. The sun was just coming over the bluff behind me and the opposite side of the valley was flooded in sunlight. Another roar and the smash of antlers and brush breaking and I caught the sunlight on the sides of two titans smashing it out over a doe standing in the tall grass a few yard down from them. Then I caught the sun reflecting off yet another bruiser working his way thru the open timber below them .

Throwing caution to the wind , I descended my ladder ( ST) and moved slowly along a deer trail to the Birthday stand (BD) which was about 80 yards below where the deer were fighting .

the blue circle is where the two buck were fighting.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: November 15, 2018, 08:02:27 PM »
After making it to the BD stand I was unsure if the bucks and doe were still there. I had lost the advantage of being up high. Climbing the stand as quietly as I could, I buckled in and searched the hill side with the field glasses. Finally finding movement in the heavy brush above me, I made out one of the giants just standing in the heavy cover. I did not know if he was the victor or the vanquished but there he was. I tried calling to him but he was having none of it . I settled in hoping that by some miracle the doe would come down slope , pulling her suitors with her.

At 10 am I heard some one from my farm house shout my name. A signal that my hunting guest had a deer down.  I reluctantly descended and headed to the house.

This is Mark. He is from Wisc. and is hunting with me for a few days . He is one of the best trad shooters I know.  He is also a wizard with the BBQ and the smoker too. He likes to take a small deer and then cook the entire hind quarters whole on the grill or put them in the smoker. This young doe fawn gave him a seven yard shot this am .  Going to be some excellent eating for sure .

DSCN0897 by jgilmer2010, on Flickr

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2018, 08:33:05 PM »
I was back in the BD stand by noon. Hoping beyond hope the big boys were still on the bluff above me and would eventually come down the hill . But they had moved off some where. I did have two shot opportunities at the end of the day . A nice three year old buck gave me a standing shot at 8 yards. He was in the exact spot my Birthday doe was in. I was sorely tempted to take him but in all honesty I just didn't want my buck season to end yet. Angus is still out there my brain said. The 2nd shot opp was a buck fawn. Unlike Mark I am not that great of a BBQ cook.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:17:16 AM by LITTLEBIGMAN »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©