3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 5 Pines Farm Giant  (Read 39631 times)

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 5 Pines Farm Giant
« Reply #200 on: November 21, 2018, 08:35:17 PM »
Hay Jim, do you think ol angus only uses that funnel on a certain wind which is actually a wind that is a wrong one for you to be able to sit it?
Seams he’s always heading the same direction....
Is there a spot down stream of there that will allow you to sit it on a different wind?

You do your homework better then most but thought I’d just put it out there.

Hope you get to see him stick bow close :goldtooth:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2018, 07:23:20 AM »
Great updates Jim!  I am happy you reported Angus walks.  Now you may continue your chess match with him.  It sounds he is favoring your property during this pumpkin season.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: November 22, 2018, 08:41:12 AM »
hey Ben

Yup he seems to always have his nose into the wind!

Yes on the photos I have of him , I am not sitting the stand because of that exact reason.  I fully believe his core is a nasty bit of buck thorn infested hillside just across my fence/property line 100 yards to the south of the funnel. So moving to the south is not really an option as I would have the same wind issues. I have only got him going the opposite direction on camera when he is following a doe.

It certainly seems that way any way
Make a life, not a living

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: November 22, 2018, 06:05:46 PM »
I'm still rooting for you Jim. I hope you have the opportunity to decide whether to shoot or tip your hat to such a respectable creature
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline BrianC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: November 22, 2018, 10:07:10 PM »
I was hoping Angus would be "sharing" the supper table w/ you today Littlebigman!!  After all, it is Thanksgiving!!

Keep after him, he'll slip up and you will be there to capitalize on his mistake!

I'm not buying a muzzleloader tag this year, but plan to get out a few more times w/ the the stick and string and see if I can't put some venison in the freezer.

Brian
"Leave it better than you found it"

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2018, 11:27:53 AM »
There has not been a lot to report over the last several days. AM movement has been non existent. I was once again skunked this AM. That makes the last 5 morning sits in a row. Afternoon movement consists of a few fawns on their feet around 3 pm and then at 4 30 a mad dash  by adult deer down the bluff  sides to the food plots that are left.

During the extreme cold spell, the deer completely exhausted the corn I had hoped to have available in December.  They are hitting the beets so hard that they too will be long gone before the seasons end. While I don't hunt over either of these food sources it has in the past kept deer here into the shedding season.

Today is the final day of the 2nd shotgun season but also the first day of the late muzzle loader season. Between the cold and the hunters in orange the deer are extreemly alert.

Last evening I did witness a chase by a small buck and I also had an up and comer 8 point following their trail later. This makes me hopefull the 2nd rut will soon be here, giving me one more chance at Angus or one of the other big guys I know are still here somewhere. Hopefully it's just a matter of s few days ......

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2018, 12:46:22 PM »
Jim,
  Even though I have only been in a few sits this year I think about Angus and how you are making out learning his patterns etc. I see guys take Big bucks with guns but I am not a bit impressed when they show me pictures But I am impressed when I come here and read about all the hard work you put into your farm and placing your stands.
  Trying to work with the wind and the deer trails not to mention the timing on when the deer move etc.
 Those are the story's I enjoy reading such as yours and keep up the good work .
 You have definitely kept me coming to this site everyday just to see your post on how your're doing ! :thumbsup: 

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2018, 08:35:18 PM »
This has been a great saga. Keep the faith, hopefully it will work out.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: November 26, 2018, 07:36:47 PM »

The last 2 evenings I returned to the birthday stand. Each time I walked the red line directly to the stand to save time. Last night just before dark a great 10 point buck checked out a small doe about 40 yards away from my perch. Once he was satisfied the little doe was of no interest to him , he cut a corner and left via the contour ( blue ) trail avoiding me but providing me with great views of his head gear.

Right then I decided to stop playing musical stands and camp in this spot each night as long as the wind is right untill I get a shot at something!

So today with bright sun and blue skies, it was a balmy 21 f with a wind chill of 15F at 2 pm. I lingered by the fire in the yurt and finally headed out at 2 15 Pm rather than the normal 1 :45pm.

As I slowly made my way to the stand to avoid getting sweaty , I bumped 3 different deer. It didn't occure to me untill much too late that these deer were on their feet and on their way to feed. This would cost me dearly.

I was standing at the bottom of the ladder stand , putting on the final layer of clothes when I spotted a mega doe along with 2 followers headed down the trail srtaight for me. Grabing my bow and knocking an arrow, I slid up against the tree trunk that the ladder stand is attached to. But I am gloveless and without a hat and it is 21 F out!  After a few seconds I peeked around the tree to see the doe standing at 40 yards and starring my way. I knew I couldn't win this one and threw in the towel so I could fininsh dressing and climb the darn tree! :banghead:

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: November 26, 2018, 07:44:54 PM »
So this stand sits directly in between my best 2 food plots. I can see into each now that the trees are bare and sometimes if the deer are in the right spot watch them as they move about. It's like looking thru a spiders web. It's easier when there is snow on the ground but tonight that was not a help as we lost our snow cover over the holiday.

Anyway I had glanced down towards the food plot below at about 4 30  and I could see several shapes out in the field below. With the help of my bino's  I focused in one buck who was larger than all the rest. He had his head down but I knew who it was. After a minute of two he finally lifted that magnificent rack and I knew for sure Angus was still walking and on the home place. He must refuge here , as he has lived again after 16 days of open shotgun season. Hopefully he will stay another two weeks and avoid the smoke poles as well!

I was loosing the fever but it's back as strong as ever!

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: November 26, 2018, 08:39:17 PM »
The unyielding pursuit has been most fulfilling as the substantiated hope consistently stokes the fire.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: November 27, 2018, 05:10:26 PM »
Oh baby!  Keep after that big old boy!  Awesome updates...keep em comin'
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline schlaggerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: November 27, 2018, 05:49:45 PM »
Hi Jim, Hate to interrupt your hunt but you need to do something different, something unanticipated by your big boy. By now he has you figured out much better than you have him figured out. You saw him out in your food plot, I assume you must have a pretty good idea which direction he came from. Here's my advice for what it's worth. Get a portable stand and try to intercept him in an entirely different location as he comes to this food plot. Obviously he's comfortable coming there in the daylight and as the weather gets nastier he'll need to come more often. Hang a portable mid-day along his suspected travel route and then let the area cool off a couple of days. Hunt it when the wind is right. He didn't get big by walking past an area he knows a predator is probably lurking, make a change. Good luck, Dale

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: November 27, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »
Thanks Dale. Point well taken.

Tonight Jayne played RECON for me in the house with the spotting scope.  Angus and two other bucks came down to the plot right past an existing ladder stand. So I am thinking I may elect to sit there tomorrow.

Tonight while Jayne was watching those three in the food plot, I was watching this guy just 60 yards above me.

unfortunately he spotted a doe to check out and that was that! He is a gorgeous deer with a very dark black forehead. He looks as good hard horned as he did in velvet!!!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: November 27, 2018, 07:54:13 PM »
Hey Jim, that's a dandy.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: November 28, 2018, 07:29:19 AM »
 Dale, x2
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2018, 11:11:04 AM »
Still pulling for you Jim!  If you can put that guy on the ground and it will be the highlight of your already glorious hunting career!  Get him!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2018, 02:38:30 PM »
Love the story so far, here's hoping for a story book ending and a giant on the ground. Pulling for ya!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: November 30, 2018, 10:51:27 AM »
Schlaggerman

Great advice!  Throw him a curve ball as Don Higgins says.

Justin
Hill

GCook

« Reply #219 on: November 30, 2018, 06:10:45 PM »
I keep opening this thread ready to see the LDPs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©