3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 5 Pines Farm Giant  (Read 39628 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 5 Pines Farm Giant
« Reply #221 on: November 30, 2018, 08:31:21 PM »
DSCN0906 by jgilmer2010, on Flickr

DSCN0908 by jgilmer2010, on Flickr

I set the buck at exactly 20 yards and the wind was perfect out of the South. We have a big storm forecast for tomorrow and I was confident that the deer would be in the field early like yesterday. I was high on excitement all afternoon. But the deer movement was very late today . A small fawn arrived in the field at 4 pm Followed five minutes later by a nice 3 year old 10 point.  But he kept his distance. He approached from the far end of the field and only came half way. He fed nervously for 30 minutes always careful to keep a eye towards my deek. A few Does came in only to run back out at the sight of the buck Decoy. Just at dark another Doe entered followed by a small 6 point who gave her the classic rut chase around the field and back up into the bluffs. Nothing else showed.

It was a fun attempt to try and make something happen but the players I wanted to see the most were just someplace else tonight.
Make a life, not a living

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: December 01, 2018, 05:07:49 AM »
Jim,
 I'm glad to see you try the blind approach and once they are used to it being there (If you leave it for a while)you may just get a shot on Angus. Around here if those blinds aren't against trees and brushed in some deer tend to keep their distance until they trust it .Now a cruising buck that never been on the place just may walk by and give you that shot. Let Angus get comfortable with it being there hoping you leave it there.
  Praying you do get that shot Jim.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:10:06 PM by Keefer »

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: December 01, 2018, 10:49:32 AM »
Jim,

that's it. The blind. Surprise him! Question. How do you stake the blind down when the ground is frozen? I love this idea. You're going to get Angus!

justin
Hill

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: December 01, 2018, 12:44:56 PM »
Sooner or later I'm going to open this thread and there's going to be a picture of a big deer on the ground. Keep after him! Really enjoying this thread!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »
Saturday morning we faced extremely strong and gusty winds out of the ENE. A slizzard was on its way . My weekend guest and I both got in 3 hours on stand before the winds drove us down and back to the yurt. We both managed to see some deer but nothing either of us wished to kill.

the next 36 hours was wind, rain, sleet , fog and snow. Wet heavy heart attach snow. By Sunday am  we had 10 inches of sloppy wet stuff. Dave headed  for home and I got on the tractor to clear the drive way and areas around the yurt, house and garage.

DSCN0912 by jgilmer2010, on Flickr
DSCN0913 by jgilmer2010, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:29:27 PM by LITTLEBIGMAN »

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: December 02, 2018, 08:18:31 PM »
While seated on the tractor I kept spotting deer up on the bluff sides and one large bodied deer walking just along the woods edge.

I was finally on my way to a stand at noon.

the approach to the squirrels tail.

DSCN0917 by jgilmer2010, on Flickr

looking back to the food plot below

DSCN0918 by jgilmer2010, on Flickr

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: December 02, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »
Deer were on their feet everywhere and I needed to be in a tree!!

the stand

DSCN0919 by jgilmer2010, on Flickr

for the next 5 hours I was in a winter wonder land!!. It was like being in a black and white photograph. The world was absent of all color. Looking thru the spider weds of white and black I made out numerous deer on the near and far hillsides. I spotted a very good 10 point on the hill by the red pine stand. Damn, I  picked the wrong stand again !!

At 2 PM a forky came in and bedded in a dogwood patch just 30 yards below me . We spent an hour together until he finally stood, stretched and headed to the food plot below. At 4 pm 3 year and a half old bucks all arrived from different directions and stood together in the same spot the forky had been bedded in 2 hours before. I kept hoping for Angus or one of the other bigger bucks I have seen this week to show. But the day ended with no arrows in the air again. I headed home and counted 22 deer in the plot below as I descended the bluff and counted my blessings. I truly live in a hunters paradise!

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: December 02, 2018, 09:00:50 PM »
Amen!
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: December 03, 2018, 09:47:17 AM »
Love this thread! Cant wait to open it up and see you standing with a picture of Angus! Keep at it!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: December 03, 2018, 02:40:53 PM »
Good stuff jim, the last couple weekends we had winds out of the North. I changed my strategy to hunt public land which has been hit really heavily by the last several weeks of rifle season. I think you are getting closer to putting the puzzle together. Good luck and great pictures
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 06:17:04 PM by Cyclic-Rivers »
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Tannis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2018, 08:35:01 PM »
It was

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2018, 09:45:50 PM »
Say it isn’t so. 

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2018, 09:59:56 PM »
Aww nuts,  what a drag.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Clj

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2018, 10:02:16 PM »
I’ve been checking this thread daily. Sorry to see it end this way. Best hunting thread I’ve seen in a long time. Thanks for taking us along with you. Sorry you didn’t get him. We were all pulling for you.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: December 04, 2018, 10:17:37 PM »
I figured a gun would get him this year, he beat the odds for a long time though, what a buck !

for those who follow it appears Angus no longer walks due to meeting up with a fire arm tonight , photo was removed since it was a gun kill.

I won't soon forget chasing that one!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:39:56 PM by LITTLEBIGMAN »

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: December 04, 2018, 10:22:19 PM »
Aww. Sorry Jim. We were all pulling for you. I sure enjoyed following along with your season.
Jim

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #238 on: December 04, 2018, 10:25:56 PM »
That's a bummer for sure. A deer like that keeps a fella going when he'd rather not.  Still some other nice bucks around though. Good luck, and thanks for taking us along.   

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2018, 10:42:55 PM »
Jim

The fact you shared the story and photos is good enough for me.

It makes me hope my 13 year old Trad shooting daughter and I will find our angus someday.

What a great creature to share with all of us.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©