3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 5 Pines Farm Giant  (Read 39627 times)

Offline schlaggerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 5 Pines Farm Giant
« Reply #260 on: December 06, 2018, 04:43:12 PM »
Sorry to hear about the fate of Angus. What irks me is "muzzleloader season" is supposedly a primitive weapon season, but more than likely he was shot at long range with a scoped "modern" muzzleloader. A far cry from a primitive weapon. Guess I'm "old school" and I might add...damn proud of it!!! Man has enough advantages over wildlife without employing newer and newer technologies to make it easier to make a kill. And, that's the problem, it's all about the kill and the instant gratification. I'm done ranting, sorry.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: December 06, 2018, 04:51:52 PM »
and throw in the use cross bows on top of it!

This year MN allowed scopes on inlines.

It's been a long time since we called the bowhunting season and the muzzle loader season a "primitive weapons season".

I am in your camp , but we are pissing into  the wind .

Make a life, not a living

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #262 on: December 06, 2018, 04:59:27 PM »
Agreed.

IMO, the only way to slow (too late to stop) the spread of CWD is to get rid of game farms.  In Wisconsin, game farmers and other special interests (like the NRA which bought the crossbow season in Wisconsin) have bought our legislature so it isn't going to happen. 

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: December 06, 2018, 06:08:02 PM »
Hey Jim, sorry about the news with the CWD. I think hunting for you in the next couple of years might become more difficult. Hang tough though because not all the deer get killed during the eradication efforts. And after the state abandons their eradication efforts the herds rebound
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline MAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: December 07, 2018, 11:32:34 AM »
All the efforts of depleting the herds in areas like that has proved ineffective to stop the "spread of cwd" in every instance yet the mindless fools who make those decisions keep making the same wrong decisions.  Hopefully it won't be the case in your area.

The folks at MN DNR who are dealing with this know what they are doing.  It's a disservice to them, and all of us to state otherwise.  Unfortunately there are only 2 options, do nothing or kill deer.  WI is a great example of what happens when you do nothing, so please read the article I linked in my last post. CWD has spread from an area less than the size of a county to 1/3 of the state in 15 years, and it keeps spreading.  IL on the other had went with more testing and hot spot treatment (culling) which has managed to dramatically slow the spread.  It's important to note that the science hasn't changed since CWD was found in WI in 2002, everything we thought about CWD has only been further verified.  The WI experiment is a complete failure, and pretty much guarantees CWD will spread to all the eastern whitetail herds in due time.  It's likely why it ended up in MN.

So IMO the blame for the current CWD situation is on the outgoing WI governor, his political allies in the state legislature all who claimed to be for sportsmens rights; captive cervid (deer and elk) "farms" and a gun rights organization who supported them and the agricultural lobby who embraced them as one of their own; lazy hunters, corn farmers and gas station owners who wouldn't let the DNR ban baiting; but most significantly all those blaze orange rednecks sitting on barstools who refuse to believe the biologists and think it's all a conspiracy.

The only options available to the MN DNR trade between short term and long term benefits.  At this point I'm not saying one option is better than the other because there is 100% certainly that CWD will have a major long term impact on deer hunting no matter what we do. Even if a miracle cure is found the geographic distribution of CWD right now would make any treatment cost prohibited if not outright technically infeasible.  Five decades of CWD research has indicated that a future with CWD will mean much lower deer populations, perhaps even too low to allow hunting. It also means few if any deer would live past 3 years of age so there won't be anymore bucks like Angus around.  The sad irony is history will note that hunters and the hunting industry ended up causing the demise of our favorite sport, not anti-hunting groups. 

For more info including a great CWD timeline: http://cwd-info.org/

A long but very informative overview of CWD: http://www.apwildlife.org/publications/

GCook

« Reply #265 on: December 07, 2018, 01:19:25 PM »
Well Mat this isn't the thread to debate it and we could debate till our ears fall off and not convince each other to change our minds.  So I'm good. 

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: December 08, 2018, 02:09:23 AM »
Jim you had a heck of a season!  I know your pain, we lost all our shooters in Nebraska to rifles (the jealous side of me is mad but heck they were great animals)

CWD is a mess, hunted a mess of states with it (actually from Wi, which could have been done better) but really I don't see a fix unless they find a cure.  Sounds like some strides are being made, but nothing helpful yet.

A few of my buddies and I have actually talked about high fencing a large place to at least keep it away (the last resort once it gets to that point).  I know its frowned on here but that disease scares the crap outta me.  I love whitetails and how they slightly differ from state to state and area to area.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: December 08, 2018, 08:54:02 AM »
I hope you are having a great weekend Jim. It's pretty chilly but I know you have endured much colder
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: December 08, 2018, 10:06:48 AM »
Reason number 5,773 I hate gun season. Angus deserved better than that.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: December 08, 2018, 12:44:53 PM »
Yes he did.

Getting set to head out and sit the duration of the day . I can safely say that the majority of the deer on the farm have moved up valley. There is a large cornfield that did not get picked about a 1 mile north of me. I am guessing they have headed there as they did this time last year.  There are still a few does and fawns here. It is very difficult to get to a stand now as they are laying on the lower hill sides and watch you as you walk in. But I am still going to give it a go.

The coyotes pulled down a fawn last night about 300 yards from the house. The first of many I am predicting this winter. Lots of coyotes and those little guys when on their own are easy targets.

Hopefully a good doe will still me a shot, more to follow...…………..

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: December 08, 2018, 04:29:18 PM »
Start trapping those yotes!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: December 09, 2018, 07:33:34 PM »
lady luck almost smiled on me yesterday afternoon. I had barely settled into the stand at 2 pm when 5 deer come running down the bluff in my direction . One was a great big 10. They had been spooked by a hunter next door. The does took off and rounded the bluff bottom to return up top. The buck stood where he was at 60 yards starring up his back trail . He turned my way and proceeded down hill. Got to 40 yards and at the trail intersection needed to turn right to come by me. He went straight , the bugger!

This am it was 6 F, bitterly cold. I lasted barely 2 hours and only saw one doe at 8 am.

This after noon, deer were every where on the hills sides. Despite going  the long way in and around the back I still bumped several deer. At 4 pm the big 10 from last week walked by me at 40 yards. He has shed his right side. I hoped for a shot that I knew was not going to happen Great to watch him. But he looked pretty played out. I think I am getting to that point too.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: December 10, 2018, 09:24:24 PM »
Regretfully this will be my final hunting post for this season.

I shot a doe poorly today and lost her . I am sure the coyotes will get her tonight. I am not going to post the details. But I am heartsick at wounding another deer this year. Not sure what I am doing wrong but I am not going to risk another unrecovered animal untill I have my shooting back on track.

Thank you to everyone for following my trail again this year . Your input and warm regards, meant a lot.

Oh and in addition to that , last night was the final night of muzzleloader season here and my next door neighbor killed a buck that went 226!  He killed him about 500 yards from where the other neighbor killed  Angus .

Bummer, I hate guns.

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: December 10, 2018, 09:34:58 PM »
Thanks for posting this thread this year. Always enjoy your adventures. Hang in there.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: December 11, 2018, 09:54:04 AM »
Dang Jim, not the way you want your season to end.....

Thanks for taking us along for the ride this year, the effort it takes to do these daily entries does not go in noticed around here!!!

Until next season :wavey: :clapper: :campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: December 11, 2018, 01:56:35 PM »
Sorry your killing season is coming to an end this way Jim.  I know for you though hunting season never ends. Please continue to post things you do for property improvement as I get ideas from you. 

We have a several acre butterfly habitat that spurred from your bee habitat. We are to the point we will be needing to start property improvement on our northern farm. 

I really hope to see you this year at a shoot. Good luck finding those shed antlers this year.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: December 11, 2018, 05:39:53 PM »
Jim,
  Thank you for taking us along this season and I know that feeling when you lose one and can't find it but it happens to many of us. The picks I sent you of my 2017 was one and it ate me up inside but I did eventually find him thinking I had a really bad hit. Don't beat yourself up and don't give up but learn from it and nothing go's to waste. Have a Merry Christmas and I look forward to next years and praying you do this again. God Bless and keep us posted on your adventures.
                                                              Keefer's <')))><

Offline BrianC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: December 12, 2018, 08:32:56 AM »
Thanks for all of the effort you put into this post Jim.

It definitely didn't end the way I hoped it would for you and Angus, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

Put this season behind you and look forward to next season, when hopefully a new Angus will partake with you in this game we all love so much.

I had a tough season up here too.  Between the rainy weather and work, I didn't get as much treestand therapy as I wanted to.  I had one shot opportunity at a doe that had a fawn and passed her up.

I did help my 10 year old grandson get his first deer ever, a yearling doe (rifle), so my season definitely wasn't a total bust.  A great memory for sure!!

Brian
"Leave it better than you found it"

Offline Ollodgeskins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: December 12, 2018, 09:18:30 AM »
Thanks Jim for all you've done for this hunter.  jay

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: December 12, 2018, 04:03:01 PM »
Enjoyed your post from start to finish........we all have those years. :dunno: Looking forward to next years adventure..... :notworthy: :notworthy: :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©