3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 5 Pines Farm Giant  (Read 39644 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 5 Pines Farm Giant
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2018, 01:55:30 PM »
The XX on the map is the location of a large food plot. it consists of clover and beets. All the deer were coming up now from the plot. Finally the buck got nervous as he stood so close and turned 180 degree on the trail but stood staring down hill.

Another buck approached. this too was an 8 point 3 year old. A heavy main beam but very short tines. he had an impressive body. the 2 bucks just stood looking at each other. The first buck gave me so very many opportunities to kill him. But I have Angus on my mind now.
buck #1 turned back around and crossed the logging road and headed up the bluff to bed.

buck # 2 walked to me and stood at a mere 5 yards. He looked up and tilted his head, searching for a scent.  My post passed muster and  he started browsing on the greenleaves of a black berry bush. I have never witnessed a buck get his tongue stuck before on a bush. But twice he turned his head to the left and his tongue came out a long ways but in the other direction. He had latched it to the thorns of the bush. Funny to say the least watching him un hook it!

Finally he crossed the logging road and followed the 1st buck up the hill. I was no longer cold and kept vigil another hour. No sign of the really big guys.

There is a rumor that a buck pushing 200 inches was killed in the next valley while I was out west. I am praying it was not Angus, but no one seems able to verify by sending me a picture. Lets hope it was not him.

more to follow................
Make a life, not a living

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2018, 02:48:57 PM »
Cool stuff......as always. :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bob Abeln

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2018, 05:42:24 PM »
Jim,
I hope you get the big boy. He is a true Monarch of the forrest.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2018, 06:39:59 PM »
I hope you get a crack at him , he is a toad...

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2018, 10:34:42 PM »
I hope he is still around on your property. Love following your posts! Best of luck this season!

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2018, 01:06:56 AM »
Great story, and a truly impressive buck.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2018, 07:04:28 PM »
 Loving this, minus the part where you got hurt out west, and not get an elk. Keep bringing it!
is it September yet??

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2018, 10:59:59 AM »
Love following along on your hunts each year.  Best of luck to you.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2018, 02:39:21 PM »
Keep at it Jim. Good luck, I also hope your leg heals quickly
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2018, 07:10:16 PM »
Hmmm, same thing happened to me when I went west to hunt elk. Physical therapy took care of it. Well, that and a good shot.  Looking forward to seeing that big buck on the ground. Go get him!

I got out for the first time last night. I saw eight and had a doe and two fawns under my stand for twenty to thirty minutes.  Amazing, some nights they catch you right away.  One deer was like twice the size of the rest, but my view was blocked by brush so not sure what he had for headgear.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline HuronArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2018, 07:44:10 PM »
Oh my!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2018, 08:35:34 AM »
What a stud! (I'm talking about the buck Jim).  Sure hope he is still around and isn't in the neighbors freezer already.  Good luck on him - it is going to be an exciting fall for you!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2018, 09:29:57 PM »
We have had some wild temp swings the past 72 hours! On Tuesday the low was 42 and the high 47. Then yesterday, it was 61 at 5am and sprinkling when I awoke. I passed on hunting.  Then it was 85F  in afternoon with gusty winds from the SW. Again I stayed out of the woods.

But during the night last night a cold front came roaring in, and with it , good fortune.

DSCN0869 by jgilmer2010, on Flickr

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2018, 09:37:42 PM »
OK...you got me! Congrats in advance!!!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2018, 09:41:39 PM »
I'd come close to closing the deal Tuesday.  but darkness and too many noses won out.

Today the wind was gusting out of the NW. I needed find a place sheltered from it and I figured the deer did too.

100418 hunt by jgilmer2010, on Flickr

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2018, 10:04:21 PM »
There are 2 ways into the stand, the back way ( yellow) and the quick way (Red). Either way you blow deer out of either beds or food plot. With my knee as bad as it is , I chose the easy way in. I knew I would blow deer out of the big food plot, but I hoped it wouldn't matter.

The blue line is the deer trail I was hunting.

Another worry was wind wrap. The steep bluffs here play games with the wind. That is the main reason I have so manny stands out . Some are just 100 yards apart on the same trails. 100 yards up or down the trail can make all the difference on how the wind acts on the bluff sides.

At 8 am I spotted the body of a big deer moving through the trees behind me about 50 yards away. I never saw it's head and it was moving along a secondary trail just above the trail that I was hunting . I made a few soft grunts to no avail.

Fifteen minutes later I looked back in that direction and a nice doe was standing where the deer trail crosses my mowed hiking trail.

The only bad part of this stand location is that access to the stand involves walking on the actual deer trail for about 40 yards . So I  sprayed my boots extra heavy with scent remover and used my bow to push aside the taller grasses I might brush up against.

I was about to see whether that was enough to fool this deer. A fawn appeared. *&%^. I hate shooting does with fawns with them. but I decided since it was my birthday, that if a shot was offered I would not let it pass.

The fawn went ahead of mom and came walking down the trail. Mom was 15 yards behind and totally relaxed. When she was broadside at 10 yards I let the arrow slip.

Standing where she was at the shot shows the ladder stand.

DSCN0867 by jgilmer2010, on Flickr

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:16:59 PM by LITTLEBIGMAN »

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2018, 10:11:07 PM »
At impact, the doe exploded forward, turned 90 degrees twice and sped back along the secondary deer trail. She made it only forty yards and fell, then rolled and stopped at the bottom of a small apple tree.

DSCN0871 by jgilmer2010, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:30:47 PM by LITTLEBIGMAN »

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2018, 10:15:44 PM »
I was shooting my 3 piece Hill Country bob cat with long bow limbs. 44 at 28. Bear Paw Carbon Extreem arrows, with 145 grain single bevel Werewolves. The arrow pierced the left leg, then went through the heart and stopped in the off shoulder. There was unbelievable damage to both front shoulders!

Happy 63 rd birthday to me.

Kenny please thank Roman for me again, what a bow!

DSCN0881 by jgilmer2010, on Flickr

DSCN0878 by jgilmer2010, on Flickr

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2018, 10:17:57 PM »
Congrats to you!

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2018, 05:28:56 AM »
Happy Birthday and Congratulations!! Great shooting!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©